Do programs tend to read all 4 LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my application with 3 letters to programs that "require 3 letters" per their website, and with 4 to those that "require at least 3." Should I submit my last letter to the remaining programs as well? I'm wondering if the ones that "require 3 letters" will pick any 3 at random and just read those, or if they will read all 4 letters.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
As an applicant for neonatology fellowship, I got the feeling that everyone I interviewed had read all of my letters. Obviously I can't be sure, but it hasn't been uncommon for an interviewer to begin the question with "Your letter says you're interested in x or you did y, tell me more".

Might be different for residency given the volume of people.

Last edited:
As an applicant for neonatology fellowship, I got the feeling that everyone I interviewed had read all of my letters. Obviously I can't be sure, but it hasn't been uncommon for an interviewer to begin the question with "Your letter says you're interested in x or you did y, tell me more".

Might be different for residency given the volume of people.

For fellowship applications we are interested in seeing what research or other interests (education, Qi) etc you may want to pursue during fellowship. So, we read those and will ask you about them. Gives us something to talk about in the interview and a sense of whether you fit in well with us. We may or may not read the part about how taking care of that cute little 800 g baby during your PL-1 year convinced you to do neo.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I use all 4 letter spots for preceptors from 3rd & 4th year, or should I do 3 from preceptors and letter #4 from pre med school research PI (worked together x 2 years) who presumably knows my character/ work ethic better than someone I only worked with for a few weeks....?

Should I use all 4 letter spots for preceptors from 3rd & 4th year, or should I do 3 from preceptors and letter #4 from pre med school research PI (worked together x 2 years) who presumably knows my character/ work ethic better than someone I only worked with for a few weeks....?
Are you talking about residency application? No one care about a pre-med research LOR when applying for residency. People want to know clinical acumen and how you interact with hospital staff and patients.