Do Private Medical Schools also prefer undergraduates from private schools?

wykwang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that it is essentially only the private medical schools where undergraduate "prestige" of the university matters. However, I've also read that public medical schools give great preference to their own in-state students. So, as an attendee of a public school in a state with very few public medical schools, what would be my best bet for applications? I don't really have the "prestige" factor at my school that would be advantageous for private schools. But I also don't have the in-state residency advantage for most public medical schools. So what would be my best option?

Members don't see this ad.

Knowing essentially nothing about your application, here is a basic algorithm you can follow:

Your UG institution's medical school + all schools in your state + any OOS schools (public or private) that are not mission based, heavy in-state bias, or "low yield" where your stats are close to or above the median but not outside the 10th to 90th percentile range

All of this info can be found in MSAR

Or you can share your app with us and we can help you construct a list

I am a high school senior as of right now so I definitely have no developed any sort of application up to this point. I plan to attend the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities with a half tuition scholarship next year. I just want to compile a list of medical schools where I would have the biggest advantage (or least disadvantage) in terms of in-state residency and the fact that my school is a large public school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also want to get a general idea of medical school admissions. For example, UMich's medical school consists of 55.9% Michigan residents. Is this percentage high or low for a large public medical school? What percentage should I be looking for as an OOS applicant at public schools?

If you are a MN resident attending UMN, then your best chance is at UMN. After that, it will depend on your application, but you can go anywhere you want from UMN if your application is strong enough.

Michigan is not a typical public school because it's a top tier school that considers strong applicants from across the US.

However, as a high school senior, you shouldn't be concerned with creating a school list right now. You should be concerned with 1) making the most of college and the rest of high school and 2) doing the best you can and creating the best app possible. At this point, the only thing that will limit you is your own performance.

Also, moving to hSDN

Reactions: 1 user
The top medical schools, which also tend to be private, do consider undergraduate prestige as part of the admissions calculus. It's not a hard and exact science so various schools will view it differently, but applicants from my undergraduate institution generally have a cumulative and BCPM GPA ~0.1 lower than the average at those top schools while having MCAT scores consistent with those schools' averages.

I am not a MN resident. Will UMN medical school still give me preference since I graduated from there for undergrad? Or should basically treat UMN's medical school as any other OOS medical school?

I am not a MN resident. Will UMN medical school still give me preference since I graduated from there for undergrad? Or should basically treat UMN's medical school as any other OOS medical school?

What state are you a resident of? Because if it's Wisconsin, they'll probably reject you outright

kidding

Illinois. I'm attending UMN-TC because the COA after the half tuition scholarship and aid was much cheaper than my state flagship at UIUC. I'm still pretty confused at how in-state residency works. I thought it would be a given that after attending four years as an undergrad at UMN - TC, I would have in-state preference, but after reading their in-state residency guidelines, it appears that I am not, and would have to appeal my out of state status. Well... the more you know.

Illinois. I'm attending UMN-TC because the COA after the half tuition scholarship and aid was much cheaper than my state flagship at UIUC. I'm still pretty confused at how in-state residency works. I thought it would be a given that after attending four years as an undergrad at UMN - TC, I would have in-state preference, but after reading their in-state residency guidelines, it appears that I am not, and would have to appeal my out of state status. Well... the more you know.

That's not really all bad - IL has a lot of medical schools that you would be considered in-state for, all of which you should apply to (except perhaps Southern Illinois because they only take from a specific region, so you shouldn't apply if you aren't from that region). Additionally, you should still apply to UMN-TC because there is nearly always some favoring of undergraduate students, regadless of residency. Those are the only schools you should absolutely 100% be applying to. The rest will depend on the strength of your application (which you have 3+ years to pull together).

Ok. That clarifies a lot actually. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user