Do peds programs really talk to each other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tippyboat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, about what?

At this current stage, if contacting PD's to say you're very interested and they're a top choice- if you send multiple ones, any chance of them talking to each other? Does it matter if they do?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously I can't make a blanket statement of yes or no. That being said, I have been told by my school and residents that program directors do talk to one another and you should be cautious when making conflicting statements. However, you can say "you are one of my top programs" to more than one place. You aren't lying. You have a few that are all in the upper slots on your list. Finally, in my opinion, I believe it is still a bit early to be sending such messages out. Invitations to interview are being sent out right now. I wouldn't send anything to a program director just yet.

If so, about what?

At this current stage, if contacting PD's to say you're very interested and they're a top choice- if you send multiple ones, any chance of them talking to each other? Does it matter if they do?

Please be honest in how you communicate. Then you won't have to worry about it and you'll have the benefit of being honest. Assuming the programs are not otherwise linked, they are unlikely to speak to each other pre-ranking. The PDs have other ways to spend their time. You will not be ranked based on these LOI you send anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of program directors discussing common applicants but doubt it's a universal thing. Program directors often know each other very well from common meetings, etc.

For multiple reasons, I would be completely honest and only tell your true #1 program how you feel. You can bet if you tell multiple programs that and they happen to compare notes, it will only work to harm your profile.

I know a lot of the program directors in the South (Arkansas, Memphis, Louisville, LSU, etc.) talk quite a bit. If you're from one of those programs, they'll frequently ask how the program director at your home program is doing. They don't commonly compare notes about applicants or LOIs, but I wouldn't count on things not getting back to another program if you do anything particularly heinous (including not showing up to an interview without canceling).

Is it better to email after interviewing or send a letter in the mail?