DO Ortho 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNC127

Im just here so I don't get fined.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Few questions:

So basically there are 20 initially accredited DO ortho programs as of Jan 2019, and of the programs finding out this week only Doctors in Columbus was added to the list of accredited programs.

For the programs still trying to get accredited will they be able to take residents in the 2020 match if they have not received ACGME initial accreditation?

Will AOA still accredit these programs post 2020?

Is this the last class that falls under the "no resident left behind" clause that will protect residents of AOA programs until 2025? Or is this the class of 2019.

I have heard mixed statements regarding these issues. Let me know what you all think. Scary times to be applying DO ortho. Best of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Few questions:

So basically there are 20 initially accredited DO ortho programs as of Jan 2019, and of the programs finding out this week only Doctors in Columbus was added to the list of accredited programs.

For the programs still trying to get accredited will they be able to take residents in the 2020 match if they have not received ACGME initial accreditation?

Will AOA still accredit these programs post 2020?

Is this the last class that falls under the "no resident left behind" clause that will protect residents of AOA programs until 2025? Or is this the class of 2019.

I have heard mixed statements regarding these issues. Let me know what you all think. Scary times to be applying DO ortho. Best of luck to everyone.
I don’t know the answer to your question. But according to the ACGME website, they only
have one more review committee meeting (April 2019) scheduled. If we are being optimistic, then maybe a lot of programs did not submit their application for this most recent review, and are instead getting everything squared away for the April review. If this is the case then maybe we will see a huge chunk of programs accredited in April. You can probably guess what the pessimistic view would be.

You can’t wait until April to apply to auditions, so if I were you I’d apply mostly to the accredited programs and maybe programs
like Chicago and PCOM which I have a hard time believing won’t make it through. Best bet at this point is to email program coordinators and ask what their plan is if they don’t get accredited at the April meeting.

My assumption is that if a program is not accredited by next fall they will not be able to participate in ERAS application and the NRMP. I guess the ultimate question to ask is what path remains to gain accreditation if a program doesn’t receive it in April.

I don’t know the answer to your question. But according to the ACGME website, they only
have one more review committee meeting (April 2019) scheduled. If we are being optimistic, then maybe a lot of programs did not submit their application for this most recent review, and are instead getting everything squared away for the April review. If this is the case then maybe we will see a huge chunk of programs accredited in April. You can probably guess what the pessimistic view would be.

You can’t wait until April to apply to auditions, so if I were you I’d apply mostly to the accredited programs and maybe programs
like Chicago and PCOM which I have a hard time believing won’t make it through. Best bet at this point is to email program coordinators and ask what their plan is if they don’t get accredited at the April meeting.

My assumption is that if a program is not accredited by next fall they will not be able to participate in ERAS application and the NRMP. I guess the ultimate question to ask is what path remains to gain accreditation if a program doesn’t receive it in April.
I would be careful with those statements saying certain programs have a strong probability to make it. The Chicago program has had a rough go at it, dropping multiple out rotations (which was their strength) and consolidating more residents into the main campus (i.e. 7 residents covering 4 attendings, 2 of whom hardly operate). If I were a 3rd year right now I would take the ACGMEs verdict on accreditation over any speculation of what programs may have been considered "strong" programs in the old DO world.

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 users
I would be careful with those statements saying certain programs have a strong probability to make it. The Chicago program has had a rough go at it, dropping multiple out rotations (which was their strength) and consolidating more residents into the main campus (i.e. 7 residents covering 4 attendings, 2 of whom hardly operate). If I were a 3rd year right now I would take the ACGMEs verdict on accreditation over any speculation of what programs may have been considered "strong" programs in the old DO world.

Cheers!
You are right! I guess I was merely making assumptions based on perceived reputation and word of mouth. I keep hearing out rotations and too many clinical sites is an issue. I guess I didn’t realize that was an issue at Chicago. Obviously the safest bet at this point is to stick with the programs that already have initial accreditation.