DO or MPH to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberrycow

Reaction score
I was recently fortunate enough to get accepted to a DO school (CHSU). However, a few days ago, I received an offer from my state MD school in which I was already waitlisted too saying that if I enter their year-long MPH program I will have guaranteed acceptance into their class for the following year, so basically an MD/MPH program. I need help to decide which would be a better option?

I am aware that CHSU is also a pretty new school and is in their pre-accreditation status since they have yet to have a graduating class. Its tuition is also double the cost of my state school's MPH year since I get in state tuition price.

During the MPH program, they require me to have at least a 3.25 gpa, which I (hopefully) don't expect to be that difficult to achieve. If I accept the MPH offer now I would still stay on the school waitlist for the class of 2026, and if I don't get off of it by this summer, I'd still go to the school for my MPH and then get in the following class. I have lots of research experience in public health and getting an MPH was something I had considered but it wasn't something that I'd thought I'd actually pursue.

I'm conflicted if I should delay going into med school for another year, or go into it now? I have taken 1 gap year so far since undergrad, so if I do the MPH program it'd add another year. I would be perfectly content with DO but I can't help thinking if I miss out on the chance of getting my MD that I might regret it in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough choice. I'm not a fan of for-profit schools, especially a brand new one like CHSU.

But it is kinda distasteful that the MD school is trying to mine an extra year of tuition out of you.

Is the money to be spent worth the MD?

How much is the tuition at your state MD school (not the MPH program) vs CHSU?

Reactions: 1 users
Tough choice. I'm not a fan of for-profit schools, especially a brand new one like CHSU.

But it is kinda distasteful that the MD school is trying to mine an extra year of tuition out of you.

Is the money to be spent worth the MD?

How much is the tuition at your state MD school (not the MPH program) vs CHSU?
Thanks for the feedback!
I took a look at their numbers and CHSU for OMS1 would be $57,500 with an estimated COA of $99,850.
The MD school's MS1 tuition was $43,670 with a COA of $68,553 for in state residents. The MPH year would be a tuition of $11,310 and a COA of $33,417.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback!
I took a look at their numbers and CHSU for OMS1 would be $57,500 with an estimated COA of $99,850.
The MD school's MS1 tuition was $43,670 with a COA of $68,553 for in state residents. The MPH year would be a tuition of $11,310 and a COA of $33,417.
I'm going to ask that you name the MD school. I would also read the fine print carefully, but I would not turn down that opportunity that quickly. Messsge me if you need to.

Reactions: 1 user
For an additional year in school, and slightly less money (COA for 5 years at one school is less than the COA for 4 years at the other) you'd be on track to graduate with an MPH and MD vs a DO from a DO school that is provisionally accredited.

Reactions: 6 users
MD/MPH seems like a no-brainer to me in this case

Reactions: 2 users
Go for the MD/MPH. Much better long-term prospects

I’m assuming SUNY upstate is doing this because they’ve over admitted? It’s kind of in poor taste to force you to do the masters vs allowing you to work for a year to save up for med school and what not.

I still agree with everybody saying to go to SUNY

MD always. I can't think of any good reason why someone would pick DO over a non-profit US MD.

Edit: Other than FIU. There's always an exception to the rule :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
MD always. I can't think of any good reason why someone would pick DO over a non-profit US MD.
what about that one school in florida that that one guy on reddit said was run like a caribbean med school :p

• Haha
The other argument for DO over MPH and MD in this case would be the advantage of earning the medical degree a year earlier by taking the DO route. Interesting that no one has made that argument (I'm not, just pointing out the fact that OP would finish a year earlier if taking the DO route.)

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I am guessing the present value of the expected value (specialty salaries weighted by probability of entering that specialty) of the MD is equivalent to the expected value of the DO despite the delay. I guess it would really come down to the difference in probabilities for certain specialties
The other argument for DO over MPH and MD in this case would be the advantage of earning the medical degree a year earlier by taking the DO route. Interesting that no one has made that argument (I'm not, just pointing out the fact that OP would finish a year earlier if taking the DO route.)

what about that one school in florida that that one guy on reddit said was run like a caribbean med school :p

Oh true. Yea I'd probably take DO over FIU, but at that point I'd rather just wait a year and reapply. The whole argument of losing a year of salary is moot when someone can get a job and make a lot out of the year itself.

Oh true. Yea I'd probably take DO over FIU, but at that point I'd rather just wait a year and reapply. The whole argument of losing a year of salary is moot when someone can get a job and make a lot out of the year itself.
I agree completely about working and 'losing' a year of salary - being in your 20's and not being in medical school or residency is actually really fun when you know what's coming

• Care