HELP! The deadline for choosing school is approaching and I got no clue! University of Maryland MD/MPH vs University of Miami MD/MPH!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ageorge20

Reaction score
Esteemed readers,

I am matriculating to medical school next year, and I need help deciding between University of Maryland School of Medicine and University of Miami School of Medicine. I am partaking in the MD/MPH program for both of these which makes the decision harder. University of Maryland is a 5 year program, and they have the nations leading trauma center. Additionally, they are ranked higher than University of Miami MD programs. However, University of Miami is a 4 year MD/MPH program with great rotations. They are in a better location, and you are able to be involved in their volunteer clinics from year 1 onwards. Also, I was in Baltimore for a summer right across from their medical center, and it is not in a great location in town.

This decision is pretty stressful, and I have no clue which one to choose. Any ideas are welcome!!

Peace,
A troubled premed

Members don't see this ad.

You may receive more input if you include a clear and longer pros and cons list. Is there a specific specialty you are interested in, what are the costs at each school and do you have family near either city?

Reactions: 1 user
Did not apply to UMD or Miami. I would go with UMD because I'd rather not deal with Florida things during my medical school education.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may receive more input if you include a clear and longer pros and cons list. Is there a specific specialty you are interested in, what are the costs at each school and do you have family near either city?
Yeah, we need more info! Write out a pros and cons list for us, discuss the curriculum and grading

Here is the template

It sounds to me that you prefer U Miami over U Maryland. If you're already not liking the area that UMD is in, and you're already concerned that it's a 5 year program, I would go U Miami. I don't think being rated as the number 1 trauma unit is a huge pull for me (Miami is also a huge urban metro area so I assume it's traumas are in the higher acuity levels as well). I don't think you can go wrong with either school, they are both great from what I've heard- best of luck and congrats!

not knowing your personal pros/cons list — i would personally 100% pick Miami. UMSOM has a much lower cost of living (not sure what tuition is), but one year lost for mph is a year lost of attending salary. miami’s match list is so good (full disclosure i got ghosted by them but they are my dream school) and has a huge underserved patient population w/ a number of service opportunities. + u get to be near the beach! instead of baltimore.

It sounds to me that you prefer U Miami over U Maryland. If you're already not liking the area that UMD is in, and you're already concerned that it's a 5 year program, I would go U Miami. I don't think being rated as the number 1 trauma unit is a huge pull for me (Miami is also a huge urban metro area so I assume it's traumas are in the higher acuity levels as well). I don't think you can go wrong with either school, they are both great from what I've heard- best of luck and congrats!
Ryder Trauma/Jackson Memorial Hospital is no Shock Trauma but it is a respected trauma center in its own right with a large catchment area. The US military conducts some of its trauma training out of Ryder.