Do not go to Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Mogambo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't go to Western Podiatry. Out of our class of 44 (of which 4 were repeating the year), only 31 remain. So out of 40 new first years, only 26 remain. Being a new school, there are some serious political issues surrounding it. They boast of a 100% pass rate on the boards, because they kick out students who they deem are non-competitive. This means that even if you are passing all your classes, getting only 70s, this means they will see you as a risk for their 100% pass rate.They have to increase their reputation in the Podiatry community, and they're willing to do that at students' expense. You want a school that will nurture you, not ditch you. If they feel they you are a weak student, they should make you stronger. Not ditch you and put you in a 6 figure debt...I personally know of a person who was made to repeat the first year, AND the second year. By this time he would've graduated at some other school...Also they don't have their curriculum in order. They compare themselves too much to the DO's, but that is an unfair comparison given that the Podiatry curriculum is significantly HARDER. While the DO's are learning how to give massages, Podiatry students learn the basics of podiatry, which is our bread and butter.

I am now at another Podiatry School and couldn't be happier. Any other school is better than Western. Do not let the 100% pass rate fool you...I went to a small liberal arts college which boasted of a 100% admission into Medical School for Pre-Meds. How many Pre-Meds were in the institution? 5. Western is necessarily cheating the system (and students) in order to make their school appear more prestigious. Truth is, a 100% pass rate is impressive only is your attrition rate is above 90%. If 30-40% of students are getting kicked out, it's quite evident they're cheating the system! They dont just want you to pass, they want you to get B's and A's. If you're just passing your classes, you're in big trouble. I wasted a year of my life there, I hope you all don't make the same mistake. Feel free to msg me if you have any more questions, or if you think I am lying. I can give you the contact info of many current disgruntled Western students who can definitely confirm what I have stated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what Western publishes this year. We all know the 100% is slightly misleading since we usually discuss pass rates in terms of "first time" and Western was in the 80's after the July exam. This year, their pass rate wasn't anything to brag about, so I'm guessing we'll get an overall pass rate from the school again. We shall see, I guess .

Last edited:
Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't go to Western Podiatry. Out of our class of 44 (of which 4 were repeating the year), only 31 remain. So out of 40 new first years, only 26 remain. Being a new school, there are some serious political issues surrounding it. They boast of a 100% pass rate on the boards, because they kick out students who they deem are non-competitive. This means that even if you are passing all your classes, getting only 70s, this means they will see you as a risk for their 100% pass rate.They have to increase their reputation in the Podiatry community, and they're willing to do that at students' expense. You want a school that will nurture you, not ditch you. If they feel they you are a weak student, they should make you stronger. Not ditch you and put you in a 6 figure debt...I personally know of a person who was made to repeat the first year, AND the second year. By this time he would've graduated at some other school...Also they don't have their curriculum in order. They compare themselves too much to the DO's, but that is an unfair comparison given that the Podiatry curriculum is significantly HARDER. While the DO's are learning how to give massages, Podiatry students learn the basics of podiatry, which is our bread and butter.

I am now at another Podiatry School and couldn't be happier. Any other school is better than Western. Do not let the 100% pass rate fool you...I went to a small liberal arts college which boasted of a 100% admission into Medical School for Pre-Meds. How many Pre-Meds were in the institution? 5. Western is necessarily cheating the system (and students) in order to make their school appear more prestigious. Truth is, a 100% pass rate is impressive only is your attrition rate is above 90%. If 30-40% of students are getting kicked out, it's quite evident they're cheating the system! They dont just want you to pass, they want you to get B's and A's. If you're just passing your classes, you're in big trouble. I wasted a year of my life there, I hope you all don't make the same mistake. Feel free to msg me if you have any more questions, or if you think I am lying. I can give you the contact info of many current disgruntled Western students who can definitely confirm what I have stated.

I am not doubting anything you are saying, and I certainly sympathize with your problems, but weren't you aware of this type of behavior happening?

I've heard of many situations from new schools where they do this so that they can get accredited. Perhaps they told you this was a possibility when interviewing? Didn't you know the dangers of going to a new school?

Again, I'm really sorry that it happened to you, but honestly, this is the type of behavior you should expect from a new professional school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had actually read many many forums that warned me about Western. I was the fool who chose not to listen. I thought it must be some disgruntled students who are trying to get revenge, and therefore I chose to ignore that information....Needless to say I am also angry. But am not out for revenge. That sort of stuff is petty to me. I just want to warn others. Don't let urself be a guinea pig. Granted I'm sitting in another school so I'm not in a dead end. But owing $60,000 extra to the bank is something I am very bitter about...

I had actually read many many forums that warned me about Western. I was the fool who chose not to listen. I thought it must be some disgruntled students who are trying to get revenge, and therefore I chose to ignore that information....Needless to say I am also angry. But am not out for revenge. That sort of stuff is petty to me. I just want to warn others. Don't let urself be a guinea pig. Granted I'm sitting in another school so I'm not in a dead end. But owing $60,000 extra to the bank is something I am very bitter about...

On the bright side, your classes will be pretty easy this year?

Yeah I really didn't like Western at all on my interview there. I just went to see what it was like. It really is not student friendly for the podiatry students and even our tour guides were really stressed out and didn't seem happy. It's crazy that they have one of the smaller class sizes, yet they lose more people than KSUCPM loses even though KSUCPM has a much bigger class size lol.

I talked to an admissions recruiter at Ohio and he said the class size can be up to 120 but they usually have around 110. This leads me to believe like Ankle Breaker that they can't fill up all 120 seats with applicants they believe can handle and finish podiatry school. KSUCPM is my first choice so I hope I am what they deem ready to handle pod school.

This all in all makes me wonder when there will be more exposure to podiatry at universities. Quality applicant just don't know about schools.

Do you believe that it was possible that the students just did not study hard enough? Not trying to be rude, it is just that western my top choice due to it being close to my home and I just want to know your personal opinion since you went to the school. I am asking because there are still 26 left and not all of the students dropped out

I would first like to start off by saying that the DO's don't learn how to give each other massages. It's called OMM. That's what separates them from MDs. Whether they use it after they graduate is another story. I agree that the podiatry program is just as hard if not harder then the medical school. But you are completely wrong if you think they will kick you out even if you are passing all of your classes. Please give me just ONE example of that. They have never kicked out ANY student who is passing all their classes unless they have violated student conduct. And for the student who "you know personally" had to repeat the first and second, do you know why he had to repeat? If you really knew him personally, you would have known that he had to take a medical leave of absence for both years and it wasn't academic related. You are not the first disgruntled western student and you won't be the last. WesternU is not the school you want to go to if you want someone to spoon-feed you and hold your hand. Our curriculum isn't your "traditional" podiatry school where you just learn the foot. But anyways, good luck at your new school.

Well my class has 128 students. The class before us started with 105 and were down to 87 at the end of second semester. However several left for personal reasons. Some got into DO schools, some left after 3 weeks, one student left for nursing school, some left for family reasons and are now in my class, etc. Some did fail out though.

During my interview at Western the tourguide told us that he knew of 5 people who failed out of Western and went to CSPM and were doing really well there. At the end of the day whether you graduate from Western or CSPM, you're a D.P.M. Why go through extra obstacles during podiatry school if you don't have to?

The Wookie says:

Sad to see such controversy at an Academy of Learning.

The answer is to excel beyond all expectations, and none of this matters.

Good luck Young Ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhh yeah we should pick an institution where we can see ourselves excelling the most which is why I think studentdoc is good so others can see how it is at other schools.

On the bright side, your classes will be pretty easy this year?

haha every cloud has a silver lining. Yup classes are much easier.. I just wish I hadn't wasted my time and MONEY. Ultimately, all that matters is that you have that DPM degree and that you can pass the boards. This can be done anywhere. So where are you willing to try your hand?? Just look at the statistics and make your decision. And don't let numbers fool you. You want a place with a high attrition rate and a high APMLE pass rate. If you see an institution with a low attrition rate and a high pass rate for the boards, it's quite evident that they're cheating the system in order to make the college appear more prestigious. I'm currently at a school which advertises 96% as it's FIRST time pass rate, and a 90% attrition rate. This tells me that my chances for success are greater at this school. And if they thought that I was too stupid for podiatry, I would have never received re-admission at this school or the others.

It seems like CSPM accepts a lot of former Western students. Does anyone know exactly why that is?? Is it because like Western, CSPM is also in Cali. Or because CSPM knows and understands Western students plight.

Like you all, I also thought that I could succeed at Western. Not to brag, but my statistics were on par with the DO's. I chose Podiatry because I genuinely adore the profession. This is why I thought that I could do it. Now that 35% of our class is gone, and that I know former Western students are doing very well at CSPM, I feel I should've listened to consecutive years of students on sdn and simple avoided this all. I should've attended another Podiatry school since day 1!!!!!

Needless to say, my life is back on track, and that was simply a hiccup! For all you other disgruntled former Westerners....you are not stupid. you are perfectly capable. Try your hand somewhere else. They will not accept you if they don't think you can succeed. Look at others as an example. They are now at other schools and doing just fine! You could be them. Keep your hopes up. You've only truly fallen, until you refuse to get back up :)

Do you believe that it was possible that the students just did not study hard enough? Not trying to be rude, it is just that western my top choice due to it being close to my home and I just want to know your personal opinion since you went to the school. I am asking because there are still 26 left and not all of the students dropped out

That's exactly what I thought when I entered. If they can do it why can't I?? Such an attitude will ultimately serve you very well in life. It's shows the confidence and determination within you...But this is exactly what me and the 14 others thought. But what you should also think is, if they can't do it, and they have similar credentials as I, then what makes me so special??

This is really sad. Western is my first choice... So when you transfer you have to retake all the classes you already took at your first school? What are the students at Western doing that are doing well? I mean is it just that they are really smart or what? I mean there is probably students getting A's... Are the students getting A's mad that they are killing themselves for those grades? I am truly asking these questions. Not trying to sound like a dick or anything.

This is really sad. Western is my first choice... So when you transfer you have to retake all the classes you already took at your first school? What are the students at Western doing that are doing well? I mean is it just that they are really smart or what? I mean there is probably students getting A's... Are the students getting A's mad that they are killing themselves for those grades? I am truly asking these questions. Not trying to sound like a dick or anything.

I imagine they won't cut people that are passing classes after this year. I believe their accreditation is up in October (?). After they are fully accredited, they don't really have much to prove anymore, so this practice will probably stop.

"the students getting A's mad that they are killing themselves for those grades"

couldn't have said it better myself...so are you up for the challenge??? :p

The moral of the story... Western cuts the slackers and improves our profession. I'm sorry, but if its sink or swim, You better swim. Especially if you chose to go into the water.

The moral of the story... Western cuts the slackers and improves our profession. I'm sorry, but if its sink or swim, You better swim. Especially if you chose to go into the water.

I might agree with you, but being the contrarian that I am, I feel compelled to point out some other facts.

Western may perhaps be doing the profession a disservice because pods are already fighting a turf war with FP, nurse-managed clinics, NPs, orthopods, and others for foot-related ailments. The reason western was created (and at the time, there were talks of adding ANOTHER school!) was because there needs to be more pods to address the growing demands of society, and to create more public awareness of the field. Thus, Western removing students hurts this cause and the idea behind its inception.

You argue that Western cut the slackers. Maybe so, maybe so. However just because they are slackers and aren't performing as well as other students doesn't mean they won't make excellent docs. Based on the reported info, the cut students didn't even get the chance to take boards, let alone fail them before being dismissed. Assuming they didn't flunk out like the OP claims, the school isn't necessarily weeding out anyone. Just because you don't do well in some classes doesn't mean you won't be an extraordinary surgeon in the OR or have fantastic bedside manner that makes you a beloved podiatrist. The fact is, any student graduating from western that will ever practice must pass boards and must complete a three year surgical residency. Accomplishing these tasks are the professions way of discriminating who should practice and who shouldn't. The school making decisions for the field might not be as straightforward as you think.

I might agree with you, but being the contrarian that I am, I feel compelled to point out some other facts.

Western may perhaps be doing the profession a disservice because pods are already fighting a turf war with FP, nurse-managed clinics, NPs, orthopods, and others for foot-related ailments. The reason western was created (and at the time, there were talks of adding ANOTHER school!) was because there needs to be more pods to address the growing demands of society, and to create more public awareness of the field. Thus, Western removing students hurts this cause and the idea behind its inception.

You argue that Western cut the slackers. Maybe so, maybe so. However just because they are slackers and aren't performing as well as other students doesn't mean they won't make excellent docs. Based on the reported info, the cut students didn't even get the chance to take boards, let alone fail them before being dismissed. Assuming they didn't flunk out like the OP claims, the school isn't necessarily weeding out anyone. Just because you don't do well in some classes doesn't mean you won't be an extraordinary surgeon in the OR or have fantastic bedside manner that makes you a beloved podiatrist. The fact is, any student graduating from western that will ever practice must pass boards and must complete a three year surgical residency. Accomplishing these tasks are the professions way of discriminating who should practice and who shouldn't. The school making decisions for the field might not be as straightforward as you think.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. I think residency directors are meant to take what the student learned in school/clinic and apply it to real world situations. I don't believe it is the residency directors' job to 'weed out' those who aren't cut out to practice podiatry. IMO, that's missing the boat completely and the schools are precisely where this process should take place. Realistically, (and in a perfect world) this process should take place before admission to school. Preclinical coursework is the next best option, as the student has been given the chance to perform well, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out...It sucks to be 30-40k in the hole after the first year, but it's much worse to be dismissed from a residency 200k in debt, with a degree that you can't use and with a PGY spot that could have gone to someone else who could have completed training and didn't match.

Also, what does it say for our profession when people are allowed to graduate and are then dismissed from a residency program for not being able to cut it? I believe it tells outsiders that our program is too easy...I'm all for upping standards and I completely agree with dyk343, if you can't swim, stay out of the pool...

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. I think residency directors are meant to take what the student learned in school/clinic and apply it to real world situations. I don't believe it is the residency directors' job to 'weed out' those who aren't cut out to practice podiatry. IMO, that's missing the boat completely and the schools are precisely where this process should take place. Realistically, (and in a perfect world) this process should take place before admission to school. Preclinical coursework is the next best option, as the student has been given the chance to perform well, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out...It sucks to be 30-40k in the hole after the first year, but it's much worse to be dismissed from a residency 200k in debt, with a degree that you can't use and with a PGY spot that could have gone to someone else who could have completed training and didn't match.

Also, what does it say for our profession when people are allowed to graduate and are then dismissed from a residency program for not being able to cut it? I believe it tells outsiders that our program is too easy...I'm all for upping standards and I completely agree with dyk343, if you can't swim, stay out of the pool...

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I didn't mean that residencies should weed people out. But rather that residency is where it determines whether or not you become a good pod or a crappy one.

Realistically, weeding should be boards job.

As a personal property/freedom advocate though, I have no problem with schools cutting entire classes if they want. I was just offering an opposing view to the schools cutting mediocre students "for the greater good." When it might be more beneficial to let them get a residency where they might thrive.

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I didn't mean that residencies should weed people out. But rather that residency is where it determines whether or not you become a good pod or a crappy one.

Realistically, weeding should be boards job.

As a personal property/freedom advocate though, I have no problem with schools cutting entire classes if they want. I was just offering an opposing view to the schools cutting mediocre students "for the greater good." When it might be more beneficial to let them get a residency where they might thrive.

:thumbup:

I'm sorry but I was definitely NOT a slacker. anyone who doesn't make the deans list is not automatically a slacker. If I wasn't meant for this I would have failed more than one class...But I accept my defeat fair and square, and am going to try my hand elsewhere. If I had failed even another class, I would have quit pursuing Podiatry completely!!!! Like stated above, ultimately, it's the boards that will weed us out. Rather the situation is, those that are deemed as risky for taking the boards, are simply not allowed to move up to that step. Needless to say, the rules were explained to me since day 1. I knew that failing any class would result in expulsion, and even though I was close, I wasn't close enough. Life isn't always fair...

But I truly find it an insult that someone would call me a slacker. You don't know everybody's situation. I failed that class due to some extraneous circumstances which you don't know of. I would be a second year if it wasn't for that...If I was a slacker I wouldn't have passed and in some cases done quite well in my other classes.

I'm sorry but I was definitely NOT a slacker. anyone who doesn't make the deans list is not automatically a slacker. If I wasn't meant for this I would have failed more than one class...But I accept my defeat fair and square, and am going to try my hand elsewhere. If I had failed even another class, I would have quit pursuing Podiatry completely!!!! Like stated above, ultimately, it's the boards that will weed us out. Rather the situation is, those that are deemed as risky for taking the boards, are simply not allowed to move up to that step. Needless to say, the rules were explained to me since day 1. I knew that failing any class would result in expulsion, and even though I was close, I wasn't close enough. Life isn't always fair...

But I truly find it an insult that someone would call me a slacker. You don't know everybody's situation. I failed that class due to some extraneous circumstances which you don't know of. I would be a second year if it wasn't for that...If I was a slacker I wouldn't have passed and in some cases done quite well in my other classes.
I
Just to clarify so you don't like western because they kicked you out of the program because you failed a class. But at another school they would have let you repeat. And even if you were at another school you still would have failed this class due to extraneous circumstances. Again not trying to be rude just am curious about this whole situation because western is my number 1. Just to emphasize I'm not trying to insult anyone I just want to know what I'll be getting myself into if I choose western

Last edited:
To the OP, what were you doing differently from the students doing well? I understand you have the qualifications of a DO student and are doing well now. Do you think perhaps the transition from undergrad to professional school hurt you? I can say with certainty that this is nothing like undergrad, where at most universities you can cram 4-5 hrs the day before an exam and get an A. While I don't know much about Western's course curriculum, I am reasonably confident that a course grade is split up over a number of examinations/practicals? If you were struggling, why couldn't you get more help? Does Western offer a lot of tutoring/review sessions weekly?

There is a very important thing I learned since day one of high school, and that is if you do bad in a class it's entirely your fault. Don't ever try to say the teacher is bad or the school is bad, because even if those things are true you are FULLY accountable for your own success/failure. If you struggled there are plenty of supplemental texts you can buy, or perhaps getting help from the teacher one on one. I can almost guarantee that this student didn't seek out a way to succeed aside from typical lecture and studying. True it may not be fair that you have to work harder than your peers , but hey no one said life is fair.

As a DO student who pulled 80 hours last week, I call BS.

Ahh yes wise one. Comparing high school workload to professional school workload...you've got it all figured it out.

Man I just lost respect points for you.

Did you even read what I wrote? Where did I once compare high school workload to professional school workload? I was stating a very important concept I learned since day one of high school. That concept will never change no matter how hard school gets. If you withdraw from a class in undergrad and an interviewer asks you why, everyone knows the answer they want is not that it was too hard. They look for accountability. EVERYONE is accountable for their own grades, that's all I was pointing out.

Just to add more fuel to the flame. My undergrad (VCU) was ranked in the same category for difficulty as MIT and Princeton. If you don't believe me here's a link. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_...colleges-with-the-easiest-and-hardest-grades/ , and no I didn't find it much harder than my high school. That's what happens when you go to a governor's program accelerated high school 8).

Think before you post please.

PS- How was basketball season for you?

Last edited:
Dude I don't care.

I think the major issue with this whole Western business is that the school is more strict with their academic standards than probably the majority of the other schools. A person fails one class and their out? That's extremely strict!

I respect Western and the students. Please don't get me wrong but their standards are not representative of what's going on at the other schools. They could be doing this for certain reasons but I'm not going to bother talking about stuff I don't directly know. I will definitely say it's interesting but again their FIRST time board pass rates have not been impressive for the kind of in-depth education they are receiving.

I've heard the first group of Western clerks' general medical knowledge is blowing other podiatry student clerks out of the water but if they can't get their students to have a greater than 90% board pass rate the FIRST time then what's the point of their rigorous curriculum? Do they really need to learn about psychiatry and other subjects not tested on our boards? It's questionable if you ask me...

Again I respect the school and students. Just offering my two cents. I'm definitely going lose sleep over nikkisorous comments though. You're so mean!

I agree with you completely. The institute certainly is strict if what the OP says is true. I didn't say anything negative about the school or it's students either. All I was saying was a student's failure at any school.. is due to one thing..the student.

Even though your last statement is sarcastic, I do want you to know I have no negative feelings towards you or anyone else on these boards. This is a collective community for aid and support not a place to harbor negativity.

Sounds good :thumbup:. Sorry for taking your words completely out of context. I do that all the time. I scored low on MCAT verbal.

Haha I don't know if this is sarcasm on top of sarcasm, but if it's serious (and I assume it is) no hard feelings at all man.

Look I am not blaming anyone else for my failure but myself. I chose to go down this route knowing very well about past students experiences, and knowing very well about the issues surrounding a new school...But I am still capable of this. Whatever the circumstances may be, I still failed that class. but if I was incapable, I would have failed many more. Has nobody on here ever had an academic hiccup?? or circumstances in life that might have affected your study?? I knew what I was signing up for so I accept my fate. But I'm perfectly convinced that I am still capable of this.

Look I am not blaming anyone else for my failure but myself. I chose to go down this route knowing very well about past students experiences, and knowing very well about the issues surrounding a new school...But I am still capable of this. Whatever the circumstances may be, I still failed that class. but if I was incapable, I would have failed many more. Has nobody on here ever had an academic hiccup?? or circumstances in life that might have affected your study?? I knew what I was signing up for so I accept my fate. But I'm perfectly convinced that I am still capable of this.

As far as I am concerned no one questioned your capability to succeed in Podiatry school. When you restart, just keep focused from day one, keep the end goal in mind and know you must do whatever it takes to reach the end goal.

Best of luck to you mate.

I feel bad for you because if you were at any other school you most likely would be a P2 and moving on with your academic career.

Aside from wasting a year of his life, the debt alone is enough to win over my pity.

I am thoroughly bewildered by what just happened in this thread.

Its true. Just ask any WesternU DO student.

I'll vouch for TimmyT, 1st year pods are having to do more work than the DO's at this time. Maybe the DO program will ramp up as the year goes on though.

Do I believe the program is more comprehensive? yea
Am I learning more than what's required for the boards? yea
Will I know more about general medicine? yea
Has it been tough? no doubt about it

If you want a more complete medical education that goes beyond just podiatry, I suggest you check out Western. Our third and fourth years are really strutting their stuff during rotations and it shows. I have no doubt they will be great podiatrists and well respected.

Either way, come check Western out. It's not for everyone but don't let an internet forum make the decision for you.

Aside from wasting a year of his life, the debt alone is enough to win over my pity.

ya im sure that if I get into another Pod school I will be much more successful. Not only will I be repeating the year, but after hitting rock bottom, my only aim is to prove to this world that I am capable of reaching the dean's list. Plus I want to be able to give the best treatment possible. The idea is no more to learn to pass exams, but rather to learn to acquire talent. I'm still only 24 years young so I'm sure as hell not giving up....but this debt really stings. oh well. no reason crying over spilled milk. time heals almost everything. and I will look back at this as a character building experience.

life is what you hope it to be. Thinking pessimistically will only give you negative results. Thinking positive, thinking optimistically will turn your dreams into a reality.

lets just hope some pod school out there accepts me, so I keep singing this song :D

Its true. Just ask any WesternU DO student.

I'm a Western DO student and I'm curious, what's harder about your curriculum? All I know about what you guys do are the classes we take together (and are graded separately).

I'm a Western DO student and I'm curious, what's harder about your curriculum? All I know about what you guys do are the classes we take together (and are graded separately).

I think they are referring to our PMP course (Podiatric Medical Principles). In replace of OMM, this is the course that we take. We learn lower extremity anatomy, radiology, biomechanics, as well as other Podiatry topics. Since I have not taken OMM, then I cannot compare the two courses, but I do know that we had our first PMP exam the same week as the Gross Anatomy Exam, when the DO's did not have other exam obligations. Also as far as being graded differently, we are not given a curve, and according to a law medical schools are only allowed to fail 10% of a class, and podiatry does not have a law that states that, so they can fail as many podiatry students as they want as far as I know.

As far as attending Western U podiatry, a forum should not make that decision for you. My opinion is that I am glad I chose Western University.

I think they are referring to our PMP course (Podiatric Medical Principles). In replace of OMM, this is the course that we take. We learn lower extremity anatomy, radiology, biomechanics, as well as other Podiatry topics. Since I have not taken OMM, then I cannot compare the two courses, but I do know that we had our first PMP exam the same week as the Gross Anatomy Exam, when the DO's did not have other exam obligations. Also as far as being graded differently, we are not given a curve, and according to a law medical schools are only allowed to fail 10% of a class, and podiatry does not have a law that states that, so they can fail as many podiatry students as they want as far as I know.

As far as attending Western U podiatry, a forum should not make that decision for you. My opinion is that I am glad I chose Western University.

Your PMP class sounds like our ECM course (essentials of clinical medicine), which we take in addition to OMM throughout our first two years. We also take different exams, like the DPM endocrine test this Tuesday which had ~60 questions to our 133. We rarely get a curve and I've never heard of that law (it sounds like BS honestly).

I do have to say that Dr Harkless is awesome and a big plus if you're considering WesternU.

Your PMP class sounds like our ECM course (essentials of clinical medicine), which we take in addition to OMM throughout our first two years. We also take different exams, like the DPM endocrine test this Tuesday which had ~60 questions to our 133. We rarely get a curve and I've never heard of that law (it sounds like BS honestly).

I do have to say that Dr Harkless is awesome and a big plus if you're considering WesternU.

We also take ECM on top of our PMP course. We have IPE and IPP(Intro to Pod Physician) which is in place of PAS(Physician and Society) for DO's. Also I know some second year DPM students that just took that exam, and they had 133 questions as well. We take the same exams in the core classes. I never said it was more difficult, but IMO it is equivalent as far as work load at Western. A second year DO student is where I got my information about the law about 10% being the most that could fail. I have not looked it up myself, but considering he is at the top of the second year class, then he probably knows what he is talking about.

We also take ECM on top of our PMP course. We have IPE and IPP(Intro to Pod Physician) which is in place of PAS(Physician and Society) for DO's. Also I know some second year DPM students that just took that exam, and they had 133 questions as well. We take the same exams in the core classes. I never said it was more difficult, but IMO it is equivalent as far as work load at Western. A second year DO student is where I got my information about the law about 10% being the most that could fail. I have not looked it up myself, but considering he is at the top of the second year class, then he probably knows what he is talking about.

I would agree that it is an equivalent workload. I've heard differently about the # of test questions/different test stuff, some of that from pod students, maybe I'm misinformed. A quick search yielded nothing about the 10% law, pretty sure it's bogus. There's no way they would pass someone along even though they were failing because it would make the attrition rate 11% for a given class. If that student went on to be involved in a major malpractice suit the school would be wide open for litigation.

He came to my school and every student in the room fell in love with him.

Anyone who thinks that the podiatry curriculum is harder than the DO curriculum is either ignorant or misinformed. I am a first year podiatry student at DMU and the DO's have already had TWICE as many classes and exams as we have had. We do take our core classes together and are graded together but they have several extra courses. Our intro to podiatric med class is similar to their history of med class, ethics class, and behavioral med class, but theirs is split into 3 separate courses that all have exams and have a lot more material to cover.

It is true that we work hard as podiatry students and that our classes are very demanding, but don't kid yourself into believing that you work harder than the DO's….. This is another reason that I am so glad to be in a program that is integrated with a DO program: At least now I can guarantee that my core classes are up to par with the difficulty and speed of DO's. It would scare me to be at a program that ran at a slower pace or was less difficult (general statement, not making claims on any other schools)…. Lives will be in our hands!

If we as podiatrists want to be respected as physicians on the same level as MD's and DO's, then we need to make damn sure that we know as much as they do.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks that the podiatry curriculum is harder than the DO curriculum is either ignorant or misinformed. I am a first year podiatry student at DMU and the DO’s have already had TWICE as many classes and exams as we have had. We do take our core classes together and are graded together but they have several extra courses. Our intro to podiatric med class is similar to their history of med class, ethics class, and behavioral med class, but theirs is split into 3 separate courses that all have exams and have a lot more material to cover.

It is true that we work hard as podiatry students and that our classes are very demanding, but don’t kid yourself into believing that you work harder than the DO’s….. This is another reason that I am so glad to be in a program that is integrated with a DO program: At least now I can guarantee that my core classes are up to par with the difficulty and speed of DO’s. It would scare me to be at a program that ran at a slower pace or was less difficult…. Lives will be in our hands! Looking for a shortcut to pass in an easier program could cost your patients their lives one day.

If we as podiatrists want to be respected as physicians on the same level as MD’s and DO’s, then we need to make damn sure that we know as much as they do.

:rolleyes:

If we as podiatrists want to be respected as physicians on the same level as MD’s and DO’s, then we need to make damn sure that we know as much as they do.

I think that is the job of boards?

I am not saying that any school is better than the next. I am just saying that switching schools because you are hoping for it to be easier is not a good idea....