This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure if I can eat anything there. Maybe I'll settle for another prank.
Have you seen the SIZE of their menu?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never been there, so you inspired me to do some research. Turns out that they do have a vegan menu. We're on @Incis0r.

It'll be an honor to dine with you, sir!

Reactions: 1 user
to be fair gordon ramsay says big menus are often a bad sign
I agree, he does.
But because of the constant evaluation of menu items based on popularity (using the Point-of-Sale system), Large restaurants and chains like Cheesecake Factory can evaluate exactly how much of each ingredient to order to maintain the appropriate turnover rate.
For example, if the chicken is twice as popular as the fish - the restaurant will order half the amount of fish as chicken to avoid spoilage and sunk costs. Obviously, operations management it is a much more complicated process than this, but it gives you an idea of how things work.

When it comes to places like the ones Gordon Ramsay and Robert Irvine, etc deal with, they help single restaurants that don't have corporate supply chains. By reducing the size of the menu they increase the turnover rate of individual ingredients, thereby ensuring the freshest product possible, reduced sunken costs, and increased customer satisfaction. Cheesecake Factory and similar places can do this on a larger scale.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 users
I love the cheesecake factory, but man you really have to break the bank every time you go eat there...

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else notice they recently added the calorie amount next to the food... idk why.. i usually would get dessert after a meal, but after finding out the cheesecakes were about 1000 calories or more I had to pass haha

Anyone else notice they recently added the calorie amount next to the food... idk why.. i usually would get dessert after a meal, but after finding out the cheesecakes were about 1000 calories or more I had to pass haha
I think a lot of chains were pressured to do that. Mcdonalds started that a few years back too

I think a lot of chains were pressured to do that. Mcdonalds started that a few years back too
Yup, in high school when me and my friend were trying to bulk up for football (lol) we used to go to restaurants and eat the foods that had the highest amount of calories intentionally. There are burgers at Carl's Junior that have over 2,000 calories LOL

Yup, in high school when me and my friend were trying to bulk up for football (lol) we used to go to restaurants and eat the foods that had the highest amount of calories intentionally. There are single burgers at Carl's Junior that have over 2,000 calories LOL
Yea or the infamous bloomin onion at outback

It's a law, that's why they have to post it now.

I've never been there, so you inspired me to do some research. Turns out that they do have a vegan menu. We're on @Incis0r.

They have the best cake, but I am not sure if they are vegans.
I would recommend these two cakes just in case someone wanna try any of their cake:

Salted Caramel cheesecake
and Rasberry cheesecake.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have the best cake, but I am not sure if they are vegans.
I would recommend these two cakes just in case someone wanna try any of their cake:

Salted Caramel cheesecake
and Rasberry cheesecake.
Yeah there's cheese and eggs in cheesecake, but those do sound good!

I know this is an old thread.....but I will give my .02.
I totally agree with what the OP stated. It is saturated.....holy cow...it's saturated.
I've been practicing since 2009. I worked as an associate at two private practices....and a community health clinic. Daily rate was 500-525.00 a day back in 2010.
I hated dentistry. Hated dentistry. I did complain about the saturation level....but then something happen. Apply for a gig at a local hospital. Got the the job in 2010...
I am now working at local hospital as a staff dentist. (People should look into local,state,and federal hospital). Every large hospital, there is usually a dental dept.. i.e. Cedar Sinai, USC,UCLA..UTexas San Antonio...yada..yada..
Fast Forward 7 years...stilll at the hospital. My passion for dentistry is back at all time high. Love the profession...love the lifestyle.
I work 32-38 hours a week =D;);););) NO AFTERHOUR CALLs.

Here is what I am making: 185k a year salary. (not gonna be rich..increases every a couple of years)...loan forgiveness (yup my student of 350k will be wiped out in 3 years)..full benefits matching 401k,health,life,paid vacation 30 days, 14 sick, partial CE ..yada..yada... So my total compensation package is worth a little over 250K a year. I would need to find associate job that is willing to pay me 250k to break even.

Yes, I could still moonlight and make more a year...but I am happy with 185K as a salary employee =D. No stress of owning a business.

To recap, market is still saturated. I have classmates that are still struggling to make 140k a year...working at those chain dental places in California.
If I didnt land this awesome gig, i would have consider specializing, moving to the boonies, or going into a different field (starting a strip club...:heckyeah:) all together.
The city that I am in right now, there are some dentist that are still struggling (we talk about it at our local dental society meeting)....

If I had to do it again, would I pick dentistry? Maybe.

I am hope this will benefit someone. Out of dental school.....unless you have connections....it's gonna be rough. REAL ROUGH. You're competing with too many applicants in large metro area for jobs.......Dont let it discourage you. Be flexible. Look into community clinics and local.state.federal hospital.

Cheers:=|:-):

I know this is an old thread.....but I will give my .02.
I totally agree with what the OP stated. It is saturated.....holy cow...it's saturated.
I've been practicing since 2009. I worked as an associate at two private practices....and a community health clinic. Daily rate was 500-525.00 a day back in 2010.
I hated dentistry. Hated dentistry. I did complain about the saturation level....but then something happen. Apply for a gig at a local hospital. Got the the job in 2010...
I am now working at local hospital as a staff dentist. (People should look into local,state,and federal hospital). Every large hospital, there is usually a dental dept.. i.e. Cedar Sinai, USC,UCLA..UTexas San Antonio...yada..yada..
Fast Forward 7 years...stilll at the hospital. My passion for dentistry is back at all time high. Love the profession...love the lifestyle.
I work 32-38 hours a week =D;);););) NO AFTERHOUR CALLs.

Here is what I am making: 185k a year salary. (not gonna be rich..increases every a couple of years)...loan forgiveness (yup my student of 350k will be wiped out in 3 years)..full benefits matching 401k,health,life,paid vacation 30 days, 14 sick, partial CE ..yada..yada... So my total compensation package is worth a little over 250K a year. I would need to find associate job that is willing to pay me 250k to break even.

Yes, I could still moonlight and make more a year...but I am happy with 185K as a salary employee =D. No stress of owning a business.

To recap, market is still saturated. I have classmates that are still struggling to make 140k a year...working at those chain dental places in California.
If I didnt land this awesome gig, i would have consider specializing, moving to the boonies, or going into a different field (starting a strip club...:heckyeah:) all together.
The city that I am in right now, there are some dentist that are still struggling (we talk about it at our local dental society meeting)....

If I had to do it again, would I pick dentistry? Maybe.

I am hope this will benefit someone. Out of dental school.....unless you have connections....it's gonna be rough. REAL ROUGH. You're competing with too many applicants in large metro area for jobs.......Dont let it discourage you. Be flexible. Look into community clinics and local.state.federal hospital.

Cheers:=|:-):

Why couldn't your classmates in California move? I never really understood this. I get that no one wants to live in the middle of nowhere but once you have kids, do you REALLY need to live in LA?

As far as your job it sounds like a good gig! Personally, I know for a fact I want to start a practice but I guess that's how life is, one man's stress is another man's ambition.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I never understood that either. It's like everyone needs to live in either California or New York City.

What about Alabama? Colorado? North Carolina?

Why couldn't your classmates in California move? I never really understood this. I get that no one wants to live in the middle of nowhere but once you have kids, do you REALLY need to live in LA?

As far as your job it sounds like a good gig! Personally I know for a fact I want to start a practice but I guess that's how life is, one man's stress is another man's ambition.

I never understood that either. It's like everyone needs to live in either California or New York City.

I guess I am biased because I grew up mainly in the deep south, but I would gladly move to Ohio or Oklahoma etc. if it meant I made double my salary. The only real reason I can see for not wanting to move is because of Family.

As far as your job it sounds like a good gig! Personally, I know for a fact I want to start a practice but I guess that's how life is, one man's stress is another man's ambition.

I totally agree. I tell them to move the heck out of California. I did....so happy I did. No crazy Kalifornia taxes..
I may start my own practice..have new associate working there..and I may work there 2-3 days out of the week,,,maybe weekend Fri-Sun (most practices are close friday,sat,sun...so i want to tap into that market)....until I get someone to work for me...
My hospital gig will be my cash cow.

California's not the only saturated place. Pretty much everywhere is oversaturated. Idaho is oversaturated for crying out loud. Just watch, new schools will open. And each one of them will say they are addressing a problem of "underserved populations". It's all a lie, there aren't many underserved populations anywhere. Go look on google maps and search for dentists. Maybe there rural areas with cities of 200-800 people that don't have a full-time dentist.. But chances are even in those areas, there is probably a dentist who travels there and works there part time. Not much you can do, just work in an area that isn't "as" oversaturated, and do your best and don't worry about things you can't control.

California's not the only saturated place. Pretty much everywhere is oversaturated. Idaho is oversaturated for crying out loud. Just watch, new schools will open. And each one of them will say they are addressing a problem of "underserved populations". It's all a lie, there aren't many underserved populations anywhere. Go look on google maps and search for dentists. Maybe there rural areas with cities of 200-800 people that don't have a full-time dentist.. But chances are even in those areas, there is probably a dentist who travels there and works there part time. Not much you can do, just work in an area that isn't "as" oversaturated, and do your best and don't worry about things you can't control.
Cause Idaho has a bunch of Mormons and they are all dentists

Ehhh this is not completely true. I can think of a solid portion of GA that it most definitely not saturated. Only issue is no one wants to live there because it's 2-3 hours away from Atlanta. Not as big of a deal if you're married with kids but next to no single person is gonna agree to that.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, new schools opening is an issue. However, there is most definitely underserved populations in the country, they just aren't in desirable locations for most young adults.

Ehhh this is not completely true. I can think of a solid portion of GA that it most definitely not saturated. Only issue is no one wants to live there because it's 2-3 hours away from Atlanta. Not as big of a deal if you're married with kids but next to no single person is gonna agree to that.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, new schools opening is an issue. However, there is most definitely underserved populations in the country, they just aren't in desirable locations for most young adults.

for young adults the best advice I can give is that if the rural place isn't for you, try smaller cities like Omaha, Phoenix, Denver, Indianapolis, etc. Yes there is still saturation but there are still job offers for good pay. These cities have vibrant nightlife and enough diversity in a variety of things to keep you occupied. If you focus only on NYC, SF and Los Angeles you are hurting yourself financially. I was offered 85k at a dental chain in Los Angeles when I first started looking for associate positions, a place in Nevada offered me 120k and I never looked back.

Last edited:
for young adults the best advice I can give is that if the rural place isn't for you, try smaller cities like Omaha, Phoenix, Denver, Indianapolis, etc. Yes there is still saturation but there are still job offers for good pay. These cities have vibrant nightlife and enough diversity in a variety of things to keep you occupied. If you focus only on NYC, SF and Los Angeles you are hurting yourself financially. I was offered 85k at a dental chain in Los Angeles when I first started looking for associate positions, a place in Nevada offered me 120k and never looked back.

Yep! There's plenty of metropolitan areas in the United States that are NOT Boston, NYC, LA, SF, etc.

Find a smaller market, have good business acumen, and you'll do well for yourself

on a side note there is an inland CA too with plenty of positions hiring as well. But then people find out they wont be living near the beach and get depressed despite not visiting the beach that much in their limited free time. oh well.

for young adults the best advice I can give is that if the rural place isn't for you, try smaller cities like Omaha, Phoenix, Denver, Indianapolis, etc. Yes there is still saturation but there are still job offers for good pay. These cities have vibrant nightlife and enough diversity in a variety of things to keep you occupied. If you focus only on NYC, SF and Los Angeles you are hurting yourself financially. I was offered 85k at a dental chain in Los Angeles when I first started looking for associate positions, a place in Nevada offered me 120k and I never looked back.
This is probably true, but from what I heard Phoenix is grossly oversaturated, no? I heard a few years back there were a bunch of new practices that went bankrupt, plus now there are two new dental schools in the area that each have 100+ students in each class.

This is probably true, but from what I heard Phoenix is grossly oversaturated, no? I heard a few years back there were a bunch of new practices that went bankrupt, plus now there are two new dental schools in the area that each have 100+ students in each class.

oversaturated is relative imo, some people apply to a few positions and expect to be handed something. Phoenix is probably the most saturated of the cities I listed but its by no means impossible to get a job.

keep in mind
Indianapolis - has IU dental school
Omaha - Creighton University
Denver - University of Colorado

so no matter what city you go to chances are there are going to be quite a number of dentists. Go to one with a decent population size and low/decent cost of living. For all the hard-on/obsession TX gets on SDN, the Dallas and Austin job market is pretty saturated too. Might as well live in the Mountain West if your other option is BFE Texas.

You could always open up a dental shop 45 mins away from where you work in a town with no dentist and commute. I know one guy doing that from high school, since the city we live in is kind of saturated. Works for him, he has never complained about saturation.

100%. Personally I have been eyeing Jacksonville as I'm pretty familiar with Florida and Northern FL doesn't get nearly the love that central and south Florida does. However I'm open to large portions of the USA if the money is right.

oversaturated is relative imo, some people apply to a few positions and expect to be handed something. Phoenix is probably the most saturated of the cities I listed but its by no means impossible to get a job.

keep in mind
Indianapolis - has IU dental school
Omaha - Creighton University
Denver - University of Colorado

so no matter what city you go to chances are there are going to be quite a number of dentists. Go to one with a decent population size and low/decent cost of living. For all the hard-on/obsession TX gets on SDN, the Dallas and Austin job market is pretty saturated too. Might as well live in the Mountain West if your other option is BFE Texas.
Yeah plus there's going to be another dental school in Texas. That's really going to hurt the state's market.

Quick question after reading the earlier part of this thread where it was basically a debate between ER Doctor vs. Dentist. Can someone tell me what Med School debt/tuition is compared to Dental school AND how much you get paid/hours worked during your residency once you get out of Med School? Thank you!

Quick question after reading the earlier part of this thread where it was basically a debate between ER Doctor vs. Dentist. Can someone tell me what Med School debt/tuition is compared to Dental school AND how much you get paid/hours worked during your residency once you get out of Med School? Thank you!
You won't get an accurate answer because the dentists on this forum believe the 180k average is an underestimation. Averages seem to be wrong everywhere

For medical school, as long as you are going to a MD school, tuition for OUT OF STATE students is around 45k-50k. For dental school, in state tuition is usually around 45k-55k. For medical school, in state tuition can be low as 15-20k. Students who get out-of-state tuition for medical school can often (usually) have significantly lower debt than dental school students who get in-state tuition(depending on location obviously). Most doctor specialties can easily make 300k to 400k, even in big city areas. If you are an orthopedic surgeon, at least 500k. If your only motivation is money... Well, medical school may be for you. However, if you hate your job, chances are that no amount of money is going to make you happy.

Last edited:
For medical school, as long as you are going to a MD school, tuition for OUT OF STATE students is around 45k-50k. In state can be low as 15-20k. Students who get out-of-state tuition for medical school can often (usually) have significantly lower debt than dental school students who get in-state tuition(depending on location obviously). Most doctor specialties can easily make 300k to 400k, even in big city areas. If you are an orthopedic surgeon, at least 500k. If your only motivation is money... Well, medical school may be for you. However, if you hate your job, chances are that no amount of money is going to make you happy.
This is wrong in so many ways.

Prove to me one way in which is wrong. I can guarantee it isn't.
-In state tuition for schools is generally around the 40k range. Out of state/private tuition is easily 60k+.

-Physician compensation is generally lower in big metro areas and increases as you move to more rural areas. The average physician salary is trending closer to 300k nowadays, but it is by no means guaranteed that any physician will be making that much. If you need something to reference check out the medscape 2017 annual physician salary report.

-If money is your motivation then medicine is absolutely not for you. It takes a minimum of 7 years before you are making a decent salary. Additionally, you have to sacrifice a lot of personal time throughout your entire working career for the betterment of your patients.

Medical and dental school are both expensive investments that end up providing a decent ROI, but if you were out to chase money I'd argue that dentistry is the route to go.

Reactions: 3 users
A lot of points are valid but If you love what you do, work hard, and always improve I believe you can succeed.
Only like 20% of all working people are actually happy with their jobs. If this percentage is true for dentistry then like 80% of dentists aren't actuallly happy with what they do. How can you innovate and continue to grow when you're not passionate about something? I believe that dentists with open minds, good ethic and hands, and entrepreneurial inclination (and maybe a fair not monstrous amount of debt) can be and will continue to be successful.

For medical school, as long as you are going to a MD school, tuition for OUT OF STATE students is around 45k-50k. For dental school, in state tuition is usually around 45k-55k. For medical school, in state tuition can be low as 15-20k. Students who get out-of-state tuition for medical school can often (usually) have significantly lower debt than dental school students who get in-state tuition(depending on location obviously). Most doctor specialties can easily make 300k to 400k, even in big city areas. If you are an orthopedic surgeon, at least 500k. If your only motivation is money... Well, medical school may be for you. However, if you hate your job, chances are that no amount of money is going to make you happy.
haha completely agree with that last statement. I'm currently in financial technology staring at a computer all day and don't feel like I'm helping anyone except wall street traders. I'd rather pursue something like dentistry or surgery but I majored in Economics in undergrad and have 0 pre-reqs :/. Been on here reading forums lately and just seems like the debt is too much/ my dad is a dentist and pretty much says the same thing, just a shame, we'll see what happens though, thank you for the info!