Do not deny us the opportunity to advance the pharmacy profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limited residency positions ****** pharmacy profession advancement,

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great discussion. At the same time, I have to say that many residency directors or preceptors here were overly arrogant and ignorant, especially demonstrated by the way they responded several posts. Complete lack of professionalism is absolutely unacceptable. No matter how established your residency is, the lack of willingness to acknowledge the overwhelming frustration and complete disregard what this post is stating shows lack of interpersonal and communication skills, which will be reflected in your program. Sorry. Pharmacy profession needs facts and solutions, not negative attitudes.

Thank you pharmwife for sharing the case about your husband.

Imagine this case: a 92 percentile candidate applied to established competitive programs (received candidates between 92-99 percentiles). This candidate wanted to receive the best training, aimed high, but received no interviews. Now let's say a 80 percentile candidate applied to mediocre programs that received candidates between 70 to 82 percentile, had interviews and matched, only because he wanted a residency but didn't care for a well established one or any superb training. Now can you say the 92 percentile candidate should not receive training, should not have applied to good programs, should just go staffing because he doesn't deserve a residency?

I believe many frustrated applicants here want to receive training because they as that 92 percentile i mentioned above, want to get better, not because they want to avoid retail jobs. But the system is broken, applicants can't guestimate their chances with one program versus another, some programs receive over hundreds of apps while some receive none. It lets great candidate like pharmwife's husband fall through. And it's not fair.

Your solution is to open more spots at mediocre to bad hospitals? Most of the "good" hospitals already have programs. Most of these good hospitals have preceptors that are already stretched thin with residents and students...plus doing the actual job.

How do you establish a 92 percentile candidate? That seems subjective to me.

You're ignorant about what it takes for a program to establish and run a successful residency program.

Members don't see this ad.

Interpersonal and communication skills my ass..... i would like to see a student come talk to me like that in person. students are busy kissing my ass and our preceptors ass asking for a job. damn....i think students are getting dumber and more self centered and entitled. good lord.

Your solution is to open more spots at mediocre to bad hospitals? Most of the "good" hospitals already have programs. Most of these good hospitals have preceptors that are already stretched thin with residents and students...plus doing the actual job.

KARM12, if you don't mind my asking, what part of the country are you in? (Just a generic East Coast/West Coast/Midwest/South is what I'm asking.) I bring this up because it seems that residencies were an idea that started on the coasts and gradually spread to the middle, and while the idea has certainly caught on at academic medical centers, there are also a lot of good community hospitals in the Midwest that could support a decent residency but don't have one. I can think of at least 3 in my state that fall into this category. Maybe there are good reasons these hospitals don't have residencies, maybe there aren't. But just because a hospital doesn't have a residency, it doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad hospital or that if they would have a bad residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just like natural selection, survival of the fittest. It might be cruel, but IS what drives evolution.

We have a diploma mill near by, and of the P4s that rotated through here, I have been very disappointed. This profession needs to set the bar higher, much higher.

Just like natural selection, survival of the fittest. It might be cruel, but IS what drives evolution.

We have a diploma mill near by, and of the P4s that rotated through here, I have been very disappointed. This profession needs to set the bar higher, much higher.[/QUOTES]

That kind of cut throat attitude is not what we need. Everyone looking out for themsevles is only going to make things worse. IMO, what we need to do is come together and figure out a solution.

I do agree with the second part of your statement. The bar does need to be set higher.

To the OP. Yes, I believe EVERYONE should be residency trained. Quality patient care should be every pharmacist's number one priority. I am confident when I say that a residency trained pharmacist can provide a higher quality of care when compared to one without.

Last edited:
KARM12, if you don't mind my asking, what part of the country are you in? (Just a generic East Coast/West Coast/Midwest/South is what I'm asking.) I bring this up because it seems that residencies were an idea that started on the coasts and gradually spread to the middle, and while the idea has certainly caught on at academic medical centers, there are also a lot of good community hospitals in the Midwest that could support a decent residency but don't have one. I can think of at least 3 in my state that fall into this category. Maybe there are good reasons these hospitals don't have residencies, maybe there aren't. But just because a hospital doesn't have a residency, it doesn't necessarily mean they're a bad hospital or that if they would have a bad residency.

I have worked with programs in the Northeast and the Midwest. I never said not having a pharmacy residency program = bad hospital. Yes there are some hospitals that could open up a program or add a few more spots, but there comes a limit. There are way too many graduates that want residency. The biggest limiting factor to opening new programs is having quality preceptors. Trust me, you want a program that will provide you good training otherwise it is a waste of time. Then it will come to a point of a tier system for residency programs too...and only those at top programs will get jobs.

We have a diploma mill near by, and of the P4s that rotated through here, I have been very disappointed. This profession needs to set the bar higher, much higher.[/QUOTES]
That kind of cut throat attitude is not what we need. Everyone looking out for themsevles is only going to make things worse. IMO, what we need to do is come together and figure out a solution.

I do agree with the second part of your statement. The bar does need to be set higher.

To the OP. Yes, I believe EVERYONE should be residency trained. Quality patient care should be every pharmacist's number one priority. I am confident when I say that a residency trained pharmacist can provide a higher quality of care when compared to one without.

I tend to agree that people who work the hardest to "get to the top" should see their efforts pay off. Unfortunately, not everyone starts on the same playing field; however, people shouldn't blame anyone for poor performance in didactic years.

Maybe it is cut throat but, to be honest, there are people in this profession who shouldn't be in it. They don't give a crap about anyone but themselves and no matter what GPA they have, it won't change the fact that they are not the compassionate, skilled, altruistic, and personable people you would think would be working in the health professions. So, no, residency training does not necessarily impart these qualities. And, to be honest, I know some amazing practitioners who did not do a residency so, IMO, your last statement is total BS.

Great discussion. At the same time, I have to say that many residency directors or preceptors here were overly arrogant and ignorant, especially demonstrated by the way they responded several posts. Complete lack of professionalism is absolutely unacceptable. No matter how established your residency is, the lack of willingness to acknowledge the overwhelming frustration and complete disregard what this post is stating shows lack of interpersonal and communication skills, which will be reflected in your program. Sorry. Pharmacy profession needs facts and solutions, not negative attitudes.

Thank you pharmwife for sharing the case about your husband.

Imagine this case: a 92 percentile candidate applied to established competitive programs (received candidates between 92-99 percentiles). This candidate wanted to receive the best training, aimed high, but received no interviews. Now let's say a 80 percentile candidate applied to mediocre programs that received candidates between 70 to 82 percentile, had interviews and matched, only because he wanted a residency but didn't care for a well established one or any superb training. Now can you say the 92 percentile candidate should not receive training, should not have applied to good programs, should just go staffing because he doesn't deserve a residency?

I believe many frustrated applicants here want to receive training because they as that 92 percentile i mentioned above, want to get better, not because they want to avoid retail jobs. But the system is broken, applicants can't guestimate their chances with one program versus another, some programs receive over hundreds of apps while some receive none. It lets great candidate like pharmwife's husband fall through. And it's not fair.

And I have to agree with the other preceptors in this forum- clearly you don't know how involved it is to have residents/students rotate through. It takes an incredible amount of planning, resources, labor, and patience. Not to mention having to go through the process of establishing a residency in the first place. I may be just a student but I work at an institution that has taken MANY, MANY students and I am confident when I say that the preceptors here and many of the preceptors I know IRL are NOT ignorant- not even in the slightest.

This thread is stupid. Yes....limited residency positions do ****** the profession. Except we do not have limited positions. we have over supply of applicants.

Taking the same logic.... To limit the pharmd schools from opening ****** our profession bwcause some qualified applicant may not get an admission??

How about a better question. What will over supply of residency trained pharmacists accomplish?

I have worked with programs in the Northeast and the Midwest. I never said not having a pharmacy residency program = bad hospital. Yes there are some hospitals that could open up a program or add a few more spots, but there comes a limit. There are way too many graduates that want residency. The biggest limiting factor to opening new programs is having quality preceptors. Then it will come to a point of a tier system for residency programs too...and only those at top programs will get jobs.

Well, you did kind of imply above that if a hospital was really that good, they'd already have a residency program. Not trying to pick a fight or anything, that's just how it sounded to me. And I definitely agree that too many residency programs would lead to a surplus too, just as the increase in the number of new schools.

Trust me, you want a program that will provide you good training otherwise it is a waste of time.

You're preaching to the choir. I am a graduate of a, shall we say, "less-than-stellar" residency program and I am painfully aware of what that has done to my career.

we do not have limited positions. we have over supply of applicants.

I agree that we have enough residency spots to meet job openings. Besides, can there really be an "over supply" of applicants? More competitive? Yes, but competition is good thing in my book. By raising the caliber of the residents, one can argue that it IS advancing the profession, and buffers hospital pharmacies from the flood of diploma mills,

Interpersonal and communication skills my ass..... i would like to see a student come talk to me like that in person. students are busy kissing my ass and our preceptors ass asking for a job. damn....i think students are getting dumber and more self centered and entitled. good lord.

Look at that attitude! Shall we say arrogant self-centered and so not receptive to suggestions. Just because you have a job and power, doesn't mean you are any better than other motivated individuals out there, or expect people to kiss your ass. The term "kiss ass", although true, but only shows how condescending you are towards your future colleagues. This profession does not need people like you. Thank you very much.

Agree with limiting numbers of pharmacy school also ****** growth. Competition is good but I think the issue now is there are more qualified applicants today than years before. And they deserve a residency position just as much as the other qualified applicants.

I completely understand that running a residency is time-consuming and not feasible to open more spots with the finite amount of preceptors. That is a barrier to advancement, and to be resolved in the future by more trained clinical pharmacists. My post only says limited residency position ****** profession growth.

Defining the 93 percentile was not based on any set scales, was only hypothetical to demonstrate a scenario.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at that attitude! Shall we say arrogant self-centered and so not receptive to suggestions.

Suggestions from competent practitioners are always welcome. You're neither competent nor a practitioner. Once you have a clue...like after 10 years of meaningful practice, come back and type away. I'm not arrogant. I'm confident. Confidence I've gained from having produced outcomes that matter in Pharmacy. Which you have not. I'm not self centered. I'm patientcentric.

Just because you have a job and power, doesn't mean you are any better than other motivated individuals out there, or expect people to kiss your ass. The term "kiss ass", although true, but only shows how condescending you are towards your future colleagues. This profession does not need people like you. Thank you very much.

LOL...either this profession needs me or not, I've been around ...and will be around for a while. I'm only condescending to idiots... :smuggrin: So I helped to create 3 different pharmacy residencies past 4 years.. I would've thought you'd want someone like me around pharmacy. Oh..and I'm working on starting another one for 2013.

Agree with limiting numbers of pharmacy school also ****** growth.

Really? Are you stupid or something?

Competition is good but I think the issue now is there are more qualified applicants today than years before. And they deserve a residency position just as much as the other qualified applicants.

You're a byproduct of no children left behind...aren't ya.

I completely understand that running a residency is time-consuming

No you don't. You haven't a clue....unless you actually started a residency and ran one... have you? And if you did, I will retract my statement.

My post only says limited residency position ****** profession growth.

But we do not have limited residency positions. We have more than enough.

Defining the 93 percentile was not based on any set scales, was only hypothetical to demonstrate a scenario.

Let me get hypothetical.... hypothetically speaking...if we get hit by a large meteor, it will ****** the growth of pharmacy... but if you're in 93 percentile...you' got nothing to worry about.

Good Luck with your match.

:smuggrin:

And they deserve a residency position just as much as the other qualified applicants.

Sure. And NFL should give the Superbowl trophy to every team that makes the play-offs. Wait, why be cheap, every team! After all, all those hard-training, hard-working players deserve it just as much as the other qualified players. That's what the kids' teams do - everyone who shows up gets a trophy. That promotes participation! Increases the level of the sport! Not.

Sure. And NFL should give the Superbowl trophy to every team that makes the play-offs. Wait, why be cheap, every team! After all, all those hard-training, hard-working players deserve it just as much as the other qualified players. That's what the kids' teams do - everyone who shows up gets a trophy. That promotes participation! Increases the level of the sport! Not.

You so arrogant and condescending....pharmacy dont needs you.... wah you no fair.

I really like this.

Last edited:
You so arrogant and condescending....pharmacy dont needs you.... wah you no fair.
Just wait until I tell her that Santa doesn't exist and neither does the Tooth Fairy... :smuggrin:

Just wait until I tell her that Santa doesn't exist and neither does the Tooth Fairy... :smuggrin:

Santa and drug shortage fairy aint doing me any favors.......when will this drug shortage issue dissipate??????? do something will ya!!! I think i spend 10-20% of my time dealing with the shortage.
:mad:

Santa and drug shortage fairy aint doing me any favors.......when will this drug shortage issue dissipate??????? do something will ya!!! I think i spend 10-20% of my time dealing with the shortage.
:mad:
Sure. For a very reasonable fee of $10 million, payable in cash and up front, I most solemnly swear to do something to help you. :laugh: Hey, McKinsey can ask for it, why can't I?!

The only kind of drug shortage I can see a (relatively) easy fix for is the controlled substances, since it's pretty much just DEA holding everyone hostage. For generics... many of them are simply not profitable to make. Price-wise, line capacity-wise... And some drugs are just a pain in the neck to make, with several bad batches for every good batch.

Controlled substance? Cant get preservative free morphine injection..... no profit in generics you say??? im willing to pay a lot of money for ondansetron injection..... lord help me!

Controlled substance? Cant get preservative free morphine injection..... no profit in generics you say??? im willing to pay a lot of money for ondansetron injection..... lord help me!

It's only now that you willing to pay a lot of money for a limited time for a limited amount of product because your a pushed into a corner. Long-term, faced with having to pay a lot of money, you would go looking for an alternative - and you would probably find one.

It's kind of like retail... everyone says they want great customer service, but no one is willing to pay for it. Hence, people have cheap drugs but long wait times and no personal attention.

Besides, my years of experience tell me that what people say they will do and what they really will do are two very different things. :laugh: And neither may be at all related to what they want to do.

Its not about me. its not having the drugs to treat patients with projectile vomiting in ED. its not being able to treat neonate pain with morphine. its scrambling to find that lidocaine injection for procedures. we look for cost effectiveness yet we spend millions in life saving chemo drugs knowing we wont get paid for it. price war is between the manufacturers and GPO. we take whats given to us. if manufacturers didnt dc ondansetron, reglan, toradol today, theyd be doing well. we didnt ask for any drugs to be wholsaled at pennies. our wish has always been to be not gouged...and we are willing to pay a fair price for it. but yes we are cornered. yet the real victims are the patients. and in the end, we are all destined to become a patient.

Last edited:
I shall resist this attempt to pull me into a discussion of systemic problems of the US health care.

I know its hard to fathom but i really am passionate about our patients.

You're a byproduct of no children left behind...aren't ya.
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

I know its hard to fathom but i really am passionate about our patients.
Ah, so students can't feel entitled, but patients can? :laugh: Unlike you, I am an equal opportunity eye-opener. :p

Buncha mean girls on this thread!

Buncha mean girls on this thread!
fkr.gif

Suggestions from competent practitioners are always welcome. You're neither competent nor a practitioner. Once you have a clue...like after 10 years of meaningful practice, come back and type away. I'm not arrogant. I'm confident. Confidence I've gained from having produced outcomes that matter in Pharmacy. Which you have not. I'm not self centered. I'm patientcentric.

I'm not a licensed pharmacy practitioner, but I am a practitioner and I am competent. I have worked in the health care field for many many years. Try defend yourself, you are still arrogant and self-centered, judging by the way you talk.

LOL...either this profession needs me or not, I've been around ...and will be around for a while. I'm only condescending to idiots... :smuggrin: So I helped to create 3 different pharmacy residencies past 4 years.. I would've thought you'd want someone like me around pharmacy. Oh..and I'm working on starting another one for 2013.

This is exactly what I hope to hear. Exactly what I am getting at. Open more residency positions. Glad we are on the same page here. Good for you, grandpa.

But we do not have limited residency positions. We have more than enough.

Assuming you are taking into account of the crappy residencies. Then yes, I agree. Perhaps I should have changed the title to limited quality residencies regard growth.

Let me get hypothetical.... hypothetically speaking...if we get hit by a large meteor, it will ****** the growth of pharmacy... but if you're in 93 percentile...you' got nothing to worry about.

It has nothing to do with the example I gave. Do you have Alzheimer's dementia? And I am not worried a bit.

By the way, do you know what a troll is? You are one.

Bad example. Not all residencies are the same. If you see all residencies equivalent to a trophy, then you have mistaken.

You have to know that good candidates apply to good programs. Throughout the years, good candidates have increased faster than the good programs.

Bad example. Not all residencies are the same. If you see all residencies equivalent to a trophy, then you have mistaken.
I don't see a residency as a trophy, but you do. As a little league trophy that every kid in the team who deserves it should get.

You have to know that good candidates apply to good programs. Throughout the years, good candidates have increased faster than the good programs.
Candidates who think they are good have certainly increased. In direct proportion to the overall increase in the number of graduating pharmacy students. :laugh:

You want to believe that number of good candidates is increasing. Fine, but be prepared to be hurt by shards when your dreams collide with reality. And reality, as in my years of interviewing experience, is that even when number of applicants more than doubles, the number of good candidates is always approximately the same.

How about you found a new branch of the Occupy movement - Occupy Midyear? :laugh: Do you think that everyone deserves a job just because they went to pharmacy school? And there should be no competition for jobs, with jobs just being created for each graduating student, and screw all the other factors of the equation?

I don't see a residency as a trophy, but you do. As a little league trophy that every kid in the team who deserves it should get.

Candidates who think they are good have certainly increased. In direct proportion to the overall increase in the number of graduating pharmacy students. :laugh:

How about you found a new branch of the Occupy movement - Occupy Midyear? :laugh: Do you think that everyone deserves a job just because they went to pharmacy school? And there should be no competition for jobs, with jobs just being created for each graduating student, and screw all the other factors of the equation?

No. I do not think people deserve the same job. I think motivated passionate qualified applicants deserve clinical training. Not everyone. I'm sorry you misunderstood.

No. I do not think people deserve the same job. I think motivated passionate qualified applicants deserve clinical training. Not everyone. I'm sorry you misunderstood.
And you know what? The motivated, passionate, qualified applicants DO get the training they want! It's just not up to the applicant to decide whether they are all those things, but the interviewers.

Heck, I could understand your type of complaint made about a certain type of a fellowship, like the one I did, of which there are now grand total of three positions (THREE) for however many thousands students are graduating this year. But when we are talking about hundreds and hundreds of residency positions...

And you know what? The motivated, passionate, qualified applicants DO get the training they want! It's just not up to the applicant to decide whether they are all those things, but the interviewers.

Heck, I could understand your type of complaint made about a certain type of a fellowship, like the one I did, of which there are now grand total of three positions (THREE) for however many thousands students are graduating this year. But when we are talking about hundreds and hundreds of residency positions...

I take that you do not know much about the residency side of things these days. I said this many times, not all residencies are the same.

And since you do seem to understand that not everyone deserves the same job... OK, what do you propose all those residents (suppose the number of residency spots doubled, tripled, whatever you want) do after they are done with their residency? Go into retail? Z has told you that the number of residencies is adequate to supply the need for residency-trained pharmacists.

My discussion with you here remind me of my experience this interviewing season. Out of approximately 30 people I have interviewed personally, only five or six were able to actually listen to my questions, think about them, and give me something other than a canned answer to a question they pre-rehearsed and thought was close enough to what I asked. :rolleyes:

I said this many times, not all residencies are the same.
This has nothing to do with the main arguments you are making. Residency quality is a separate discussion (and yes, I am not qualified to participate in it).

What is the point of this thread? Idiot student complaining there arent enough residency spots to train everyone? Well, not everyone deserves it.....especially someone like you who thinks you know more than your potential preceptors and mentors. People like you are a liability to healthcare. I feel for your residency preceptors......if you even get a spot. Call me arrogant or a troll.....doesnt matter. I do good work and make a difference that enhances pharmacy practice like many whos been here for a long time. Many posters on this thread are excellent practitioners and leaders who contribute daily. you on the other hand are nothing more than a random poster with a questionable qualification and no experience or credentials to assess the landscape of pharmacy residency practice. your opinion doesnt matter nor will it change anything. yes ive trolled this board for 7 years. but i did my share of helping the students.:smuggrin:

I never argued what he said on current supply of residents is adequate for demand. I can't argue because I don't know how much is the clinical demand out there. Do you know? Want to give me some stats?

Answer this question, is having more clinically trained pharmacists is a bad thing. Regardless where they end up working. Is being more knowledge bad? You are saying people shouldn't become better because there is no demand for clinical pharmacist.

One out of many benefits for having more clinically trained RPh is that it may change how others view the pharmacy profession.

Heck.....most of them were prepharm when i signed up........

One out of many benefits for having more clinically trained RPh is that it may change how others view the pharmacy profession.
Pardon my cynicism, but I have been hearing that story for as long as I have been in the profession. :rolleyes:

On a related note, I swear if I hear anyone mention the Asheville Project ever again I am going to scream. :laugh:

I never argued what he said on current supply of residents is adequate for demand. I can't argue because I don't know how much is the clinical demand out there. Do you know? Want to give me some stats?

Answer this question, is having more clinically trained pharmacists is a bad thing. Regardless where they end up working. Is being more knowledge bad? You are saying people shouldn't become better because there is no demand for clinical pharmacist.

Lets open more pharmacy schools. Why not? who cares if there are too many pharmacists. why not........lets train anyone and everyone to be a drug expert.....who cares if theres no demand. yup.....make residency mandatory. because retail and mail order pharmacists need to forego the pharmacist salary for a year to be more clinically trained. wait.....once everyone is clinically trained, you will come back here and bitch that there arent enough clinical jobs and its our fault for not accomodating the needs of 14000 residency trained pharmacists per year.

What is the point of this thread?
It has pretty good entertainment value. ;) And I am trying to see if this student is capable of thinking through issues rather than parroting some idealistic visions. I like to give students a benefit of doubt... Probably because I have not worked with any students for a couple years and got a bit idealistic myself. :laugh:

Pardon my cynicism, but I have been hearing that story for as long as I have been in the profession. :rolleyes:

On a related note, I swear if I hear anyone mention the Asheville Project ever again I am going to scream. :laugh:

That is sad. You haven't answered my question.

Lets open more pharmacy schools. Why not? who cares if there are too many pharmacists. why not........lets train anyone and everyone to be a drug expert.....who cares if theres no demand. yup.....make residency mandatory. because retail and mail order pharmacists need to forego the pharmacist salary for a year to be more clinically trained. wait.....once everyone is clinically trained, you will come back here and bitch that there arent enough clinical jobs and its our fault for not accomodating the needs of 14000 residency trained pharmacists per year.

Why would it be your fault. Don't worry. At least I will not blame you, other might.

So people complain about the explosion of pharmacy education calling foul on diploma mills yet when we have an unbroken residency system keeping the system in check supplying adequate amount of residency trained pharmaciats, its unfair???

Why would it be your fault. Don't worry. At least I will not blame you, other might.

You completely missed me being facetious.....didnt you. You from Arkansas? Ive been through there. Little Rock is fine town!