Do med students and physicians dress inappropriately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me let you on a little secret Dr. Cox.....;)

...the men here are acting "silly" because of your first name. You first name says it all. It is just asking for male "flirtation".

In general, female names like:

-Kimberly, Christina, Adriana, Jessica....= Hot.

-Bridgett, Kate, Beatrix, Charlotte....=Questionable, hottness pending positive confirmation.

A name like Kimberly to a male, if like "Leonardo", or "Fabio" to a female.

:)

You must have lots of time alone by yourself.;)

How did you pull that one out of your ass.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, my post was very silly.:oops: I was trying to be funny, but it came out very "geeky"...Oh wait, maybe I am a geek! Nah, I am not. OMG I am a geek, am I?:scared:

I deleted the post, because after re-reading it myself, it felt really silly.

Sorry Kim, and all the Bridgetts, Kates, Beatrixes, and Charlottes out there.:oops:

I know of a fair amount of surgery programs(General, Ortho, and Neurosurgery) that let their residents wear scrubs freely...but when it's time for CLINIC they must wear a shirt and tie. I actually find that admirable anc consider it very professional. You don't need to wear scrubs to clinic.

The last statement is NOT necessarily true. During my surgery rotation, we drained abcesses, debrided feet, and changes bandages and messed around with colostomy bags- more than once I have been happy indeed for my scrubs. Of course, the med students do most of the dirty work, so I guess the resident CAN afford to wear nice clothes...

Most general surgery clinics involve a fair number of dressing changes.

Two of my classmates have er, large busts and while that is neither here nor there, they also like to show off these large busts in very low cut shirts. I dunno about anyone else, but I am a woman and I find it really distracting to have all this out on display. I can't imagine what this must be like for the men.

I tried to say something to one of the women about being with patients and all, and she just was like: I don't see anything wrong with showing off my big chest. :eek:

So, maybe an attending or two will let them know it is too much to expose in a hospital. A beach maybe, but not in a hospital. I try an be professionally modest, slacks and a simple top. No jewelry even, or scent. At home I am more laid back or whatever.

No jewelry even, or scent.

Speaking of which:

Do people think its okay to wear perfume or cologne(as long as they aren't smelling like a French prostitute)?

What say you?

Most general surgery clinics involve a fair number of dressing changes.

Well...that would be unfortunate if you get patient "stuff" on you. But then that begs to question: When should surgery residents ever NOT wear scrubs?

I mean, you're either rounding, in surgery, or in clinic.

I deleted the post, because after re-reading it myself, it felt really silly.

Sorry Kim, and all the Bridgetts, Kates, Beatrixes, and Charlottes out there.:oops:

Sorry... you have to upgrade Charlotte from "Maybe Hot till Confirmed" to "Damn Hot unless Confirmed Otherwise".

Kimberly should be downgraded to "Maybe Hot till Confirmed".

Well...that would be unfortunate if you get patient "stuff" on you. But then that begs to question: When should surgery residents ever NOT wear scrubs?

I mean, you're either rounding, in surgery, or in clinic.

Exactly...scrubs all the way!

Exactly...scrubs all the way!

The key advantage of scrubs is that they:
- come from a rack, freshly laundered and folded
- go into a hamper at the end of the day

(notice, nowhere in the process it involves me paying $28.50 to get a handful of shirts and slacks laundered/drycleaned)

What if they had special scrubs for the hot lady nurses and lady doctors.

;) :D

Two of my classmates have er, large busts and while that is neither here nor there, they also like to show off these large busts in very low cut shirts...

Nice. Do you have any photos?

What if they had special scrubs for the hot lady nurses and lady doctors.

I worked at a place where the regular scrub sizes went up to 3XL. It is not a pretty sight.

I worked at a place where the regular scrub sizes went up to 3XL. It is not a pretty sight.

At Duke, they had nice scrubs when I first got there in the machines that were a "Duke Blue" that didn't fade. Then, they went to a new machine with scrubs that looked like they'd been left out in the sun. THEN, they went to ANOTHER machine that not only had scrubs that were faded and worn, but the sizing was all over the place, and I ended up with a pair of pants with an inseam about 3 inches too short, and a waist made by Omar the Tentmaker. This was combined with a scrub top that, as a "large", I could barely get on (and I wear a 15 1/2 - 34/35 shirt).

Scrubs
You are no longer paid like you are an expert. Why should you dress like one?

that not only had scrubs that were faded and worn, but the sizing was all over the place, and I ended up with a pair of pants with an inseam about 3 inches too short, and a waist made by Omar the Tentmaker.

Got to love the scrub-o-matic ! At the VA they had it programmed that it would give you 2XL bottoms with XL tops (accounting for the prevalent staff body habitus in that institution). If you didn't have a federally sized behind you either looked like Erkel or like a gangsta-rapper with those tents either dragging the floor or up under your armpits.

I think thats a challenge Kimberly.

Are you gonna let that go?
No self respecting surgeon would be caught dead ignoring this one.:eek: :D

I'll have to work on uploading my fellowship app piccies. Lemme see what I can do...OTOH, there's a picture floating around here with me and BatBoy. Not sure if the link is still functioning, though.

Speaking of which:

Do people think its okay to wear perfume or cologne(as long as they aren't smelling like a French prostitute)?

What say you?

I do wear some cologne but it's only a little. If anyone smells it it means they are seriously in my personal space.

THEN, they went to ANOTHER machine that not only had scrubs that were faded and worn, but the sizing was all over the place, and I ended up with a pair of pants with an inseam about 3 inches too short, and a waist made by Omar the Tentmaker. This was combined with a scrub top that, as a "large", I could barely get on (and I wear a 15 1/2 - 34/35 shirt).

:laugh:

Dude! I am sorry but I was laughing RIGHT OUT LOUD at this a' one!

I have my stolen pair of scrubs from the surgical floor and they fit just right. I plan on holding onto them until I graduate. Otherwise, it has been size large = my legs look like sausages (and I am pretty skinny), and the small tops are like the sail off a catamaran. And did I mention flood water pants??

Ok, I lied, I do wear a light spritz of some sort of water based scent from the drugstore. Pretty faint, just enough so I can feel pretty. :)

I use scented soap and lotion, but other than that, no perfume. And I've noticed that whenever we see a particularly stinky patient, some of my teammates take refuge within my field of scent. :laugh: Not that it's much help.

The last statement is NOT necessarily true. During my surgery rotation, we drained abcesses, debrided feet, and changes bandages and messed around with colostomy bags- more than once I have been happy indeed for my scrubs. Of course, the med students do most of the dirty work, so I guess the resident CAN afford to wear nice clothes...

Yep. You can (and SHOULD) do all that with shirt/tie/whitecoat on, you just have to mind the dangly silk thing around your neck. Clinic is clinic, docs should dress nice for it!

Yep. You can (and SHOULD) do all that with shirt/tie/whitecoat on, you just have to mind the dangly silk thing around your neck. Clinic is clinic, docs should dress nice for it!

What's so sacred about "clinic?" The clinic is different to each specialty. For me, clinic is nothing but procedures and I routinely have to change scrubs during clinic to get rid of blood stains.

To the medicine people, clinic is no different than wards....a lot of scratching your head and writing prescriptions.

What's so sacred about "clinic?"

Beats the hell out of me. On the medicine wards here, we are not allowed to wear scrubs except on the weekends or after 5, even if you are on or post call. It really sucks to put on professional wear when you're feeling all grungy after a night of no-sleep call.

What I don't get: who exactly are we trying to impress? Obviously not the patients, if it's ok that they see us in scrubs on evenings and weekends. Must be some stuffy self-important 9-5er then. :rolleyes:

Beats the hell out of me. On the medicine wards here, we are not allowed to wear scrubs except on the weekends or after 5, even if you are on or post call. It really sucks to put on professional wear when you're feeling all grungy after a night of no-sleep call.

My residency did the same thing. It does suck, I agree.

What I don't get: who exactly are we trying to impress? Obviously not the patients, if it's ok that they see us in scrubs on evenings and weekends. Must be some stuffy self-important 9-5er then. :rolleyes:

Well. business hours are business hours. Patient's can't possibly expect doctors to come and see them in their room at 2AM with a full suit/shirt-tie smelling like roses. It's not a realistic expectation.

I use scented soap and lotion, but other than that, no perfume. And I've noticed that whenever we see a particularly stinky patient, some of my teammates take refuge within my field of scent. :laugh: Not that it's much help.

I tend to think that some of my patients may take a whiff of my nice smelling cologne when I'm listening to their heart and say "Wow..he sure smells good. By the way, when was the last time I had a shower?"

Ah...the power of subliminal suggestion.

At my med school atleast 4 times a year a mass email is sent by the Dean concerning dress code on clinical rotations. The complaints usually stem from a med student wearing a skirt that is to short, showing mid-drift, or shirt that shows a bit too much cleavage. This ofcourse happens almost every day that someone wears inappropriate clothing. But, it is only reported when certain attendings or sometimes nurses complain. Inappropriate clothing goes both ways, but is only reportd on women. Many guys come to clinic "slobby", IMO. Flannel shirt w/ a tie(not tied correctly), with shirt tucked poorly, etc... "Slobby" is tolerated much more than "provocative"!

just to add fuel to the fire:
Two nights ago in the SICU: patient post-op for cellulitis waiting for doctor for more pain meds. A senior resident comes in looking sloppy and unprofessional, asks the RN a few questions, then leaves. The pt then asks the RN, "When will the doctor be here?" (In contrast to the surgeon, the RN is both extemely attractive and professional.)

Is it unfair that we are judged by how we dress? Perhaps, but I prefer to be treated by people who want my respect, rather than my admiration of their physical appearance.

Perhaps, but I prefer to be treated by people who want my respect, rather than my admiration of their physical appearance.

Someone translate this for me. Babelfish didn't work.

He wants his doctors to be respectable/professional and show him respect as well, not just dress and smell good.

Okay, tell me if im right...

YOU are an OB/Gyn person and ugly...and bitter.
She (if there is a god in heaven) will be going into surgery and was hot...
Am I right? Im right aren't I?

HAHAHAHA. OB/Gyn females are the fugliest bunch of women ever and it doesnt help that OB/GYN residents are the meanest most bitter bunch of female dogs around. Talk about scut purveyors.

HAHAHAHA. OB/Gyn females are the fugliest bunch of women ever and it doesnt help that OB/GYN residents are the meanest most bitter bunch of female dogs around. Talk about scut purveyors.

You are so wrong about this. I think a lot of people, particularly men, are intimidated by smart women to the point that they ascribe all kinds of character flaws to chicks who are just getting things done.

I'm the least bit intimidated by smart women. From my experience and talking to other medical students across the country both male and female, OB/GYN residents are notoriously mean to medical students. I'm sure its got a lot to do with being overworked and stressed. But from what I've seen a lot of them got some type of chip on their shoulder and they take it out on the rest of us especially male students. Maybe because they never got attention from guys because they are for the most part at least at my institution some of the least attractive women I've seen. Also talk about scut work. They get pissed if you dont see every fricken women that comes into triage or dont write every single 2 or 4 hour progress note. Talk about scut purveyors. Yeah its a real great learning experience for me to do endless amounts of scut. And all they do is complain about how ****ty their job is. I dont want to hear it. You chose the specialty. Deal with it! Nobody made you go into OB.

I'm the least bit intimidated by smart women. From my experience and talking to other medical students across the country both male and female, OB/GYN residents are notoriously mean to medical students. I'm sure its got a lot to do with being overworked and stressed. But from what I've seen a lot of them got some type of chip on their shoulder and they take it out on the rest of us especially male students. Maybe because they never got attention from guys because they are for the most part at least at my institution some of the least attractive women I've seen. Also talk about scut work. They get pissed if you dont see every fricken women that comes into triage or dont write every single 2 or 4 hour progress note. Talk about scut purveyors. Yeah its a real great learning experience for me to do endless amounts of scut. And all they do is complain about how ****ty their job is. I dont want to hear it. You chose the specialty. Deal with it! Nobody made you go into OB.

They are even worse than the females in surgical residencies...I still dont know why???

You are so wrong about this. I think a lot of people, particularly men, are intimidated by smart women to the point that they ascribe all kinds of character flaws to chicks who are just getting things done.

I've known a number of very unpleasant women who ascribed their difficulties maintaining a relationship to "men being intimidated by strong women." Unfortunately, "strong woman" was often code for "I always have to be in charge, and I'll be a b*tch if I want."

For every variation in women, there is a man who is turned on by it. Truly "strong" women have a very devoted following. Trust me, just ask my wife.

Scrubs are practical and appropriate. I'm sure everybody would love to see every professional they interact with in a shirt and tie, but it is not practical in some occupations. In medicine you get dirty, and they don't pay residents enough to spend 40$ at the dry cleaners every week getting all your dress pants and shirts cleaned. Scrubs can be just tossed in the hospital laundry bin on the way out and are then nice and MRSA-free for the next shift. You can't say the same of unlaundered shirts, pants, or ties. Which, I think if you ask most residents / med students, they don't wash their Khaki's everytime they wear them. Additionally, have you every tried to get Betadine out of a white dress shirt or off a silk tie? When you are in a profession that deals with biohazards (blood, urine, feces... name your fluid) wearing clothing that is easy to clean and disposable is an obligation to everybody's health. And I know that some people just think...well we've always done it this way. Well, nobody considered washing their hands till Lister showed that maybe it was a better way to do things. If you work in a medical environment where you don't get exposed to biocontaminants all the time then fine, wear your tie and dress pants, but for the majority of physicians, scrubs are not only easier but just in terms of cleanliness and economics they are far superior.