This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrenchFry266

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any DO students who have matched in a MD integrated plastics residency? I have not seen any recent forums on this topic. My USMLE is mid 250s and COMLEX 705 and want to avoid going Gen Surg or ENT to get there if at all possible :yuck:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know of any DO students who have matched in a MD integrated plastics residency? I have not seen any recent forums on this topic. My USMLE is mid 250s and COMLEX 705 and want to avoid going Gen Surg or ENT to get there if at all possible :yuck:

KCOM put someone at Mayo last year, but it's extremely rare that DO's match ACGME integrated plastics residencies. Who knows what type of inside line that guy had too?

I did a plastics rotation in Med-school and the surgeon I worked most closely with said even the post-GS fellowships are extremely tough for DO's to get into.

KCOM put someone at Mayo last year, but it's extremely rare that DO's match ACGME integrated plastics residencies. Who knows what type of inside line that guy had too?

I did a plastics rotation in Med-school and the surgeon I worked most closely with said even the post-GS fellowships are extremely tough for DO's to get into.

Tough to match integrated plastics but not unheard of, just need high scores, research, and be a likable person. That guy at Mayo is a good friend of mine. He had great research, good scores, and a great app. And I happen to know of several DOs who matched Plastics after GS residencies. However they also came from MD GS residencies.

Also I was under the impression that there a couple integrated DO plastics spots now? Is that not true? Your scores should be able to get you into one of those if you have a great application.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get your hopes up. I scored much higher than you. They don't care. Focus more on manipulating.

Tough to match integrated plastics but not unheard of, just need high scores, research, and be a likable person. That guy at Mayo is a good friend of mine. He had great research, good scores, and a great app. And I happen to know of several DOs who matched Plastics after GS residencies. However they also came from MD GS residencies.

Also I was under the impression that there a couple integrated DO plastics spots now? Is that not true? Your scores should be able to get you into one of those if you have a great application.

Can you expand on what great research means? Did he have multiple publications, or was he in a highly relevant and cool research project? Sorry if this is an ignorant question!

There is a current grad from KCU who matched to plastics at The University of Kansas SOM who is currently Chief Resident there and will be continuing their fellowship training at the Cleveland Clinic. You can find them on the KU Med website and perhaps ask them questions in regards to how they ended up successfully matching into ACGME plastics.

Moving to osteopathic medical student forum.

wasn't there an integrated plastics match at UPenn from a DO student from one of the PCOM's?

wasn't there an integrated plastics match at UPenn from a DO student from one of the PCOM's?

Sure was. It's not unheard of for a DO to match plastics- but it's definitely an uphill battle. Regardless people, it's hard for anyone to match plastics- MD or DO. I don't understand why SDN fixates on DO's matching into competitive specialties- if you want something go for it and don't look back. Obviously you need the stats but as can be seen by the examples listed above- it's possible (note I did not say probable) for a DO to match any speciality. So if you're competitive and you can't see yourself in any other field- go with what you love. Hey it might not work out, but at least you can tell yourself years down the road that you at least tried. Please SDN it's agonizing to hear these conversions day in and day out about the chances of DO's trying to match competitive fields. Move on. Work your hardest, score well, make connections, and hope for the best. That's all you can do.

Reactions: 2 users
Sure was. It's not unheard of for a DO to match plastics- but it's definitely an uphill battle. Regardless people, it's hard for anyone to match plastics- MD or DO. I don't understand why SDN fixates on DO's matching into competitive specialties- if you want something go for it and don't look back. Obviously you need the stats but as can be seen by the examples listed above- it's possible (note I did not say probable) for a DO to match any speciality. So if you're competitive and you can't see yourself in any other field- go with what you love. Hey it might not work out, but at least you can tell yourself years down the road that you at least tried. Please SDN it's agonizing to hear these conversions day in and day out about the chances of DO's trying to match competitive fields. Move on. Work your hardest, score well, make connections, and hope for the best. That's all you can do.
Are you one of the friends that keeps telling the dude who can't pass COMLEX on one of his first 3 tries to keep going for it? Don't let dreams be dreams? Come on. There is nothing wrong with being objective and realistic about your goals in life. I can safely tell any DO they are not matching MD plastics. And if I'm wrong about one applicant every 4 years then so be it. I can live with 99% success rate. Most people benefit from knowing the odds if they know how to assess risk and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you one of the friends that keeps telling the dude who can't pass COMLEX on one of his first 3 tries to keep going for it? Don't let dreams be dreams? Come on. There is nothing wrong with being objective and realistic about your goals in life. I can safely tell any DO they are not matching MD plastics. And if I'm wrong about one applicant every 4 years then so be it. I can live with 99% success rate. Most people benefit from knowing the odds if they know how to assess risk and adjust accordingly.
The funny thing that your missing is that you could tell that to all MD students and still be right 99% of the time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The funny thing that your missing is that you could tell that to all MD students and still be right 99% of the time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using SDN mobile
Damn son. Well played.

Reactions: 4 users

There was a PCOM grad who matched Integrate Plastics at the HUP (UPenn's primary teaching hospital). This person did a clinical research fellowship there as well and his publication record is insane. For some reason their education history lists them as going to UPenn of medical school (which I've seen happen on many web pages in terms of a DO matching to a university program that normally does not take DO's) - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/match-list-2016.1189268/page-9#post-17629486

A KCU grad ended up doing plastics at KU Med (http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-medicine/plastic-surgery/residency-program/current-residents.html). I believe he is doing a reconstructive fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic now.

In all seriousness, you might as well ask how many DOs have Cell papers.

There was a PCOM grad who matched Integrate Plastics at the HUP (UPenn's primary teaching hospital). This person did a clinical research fellowship there as well and his publication record is insane. For some reason their education history lists them as going to UPenn of medical school (which I've seen happen on many web pages in terms of a DO matching to a university program that normally does not take DO's) - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/match-list-2016.1189268/page-9#post-17629486

A KCU grad ended up doing plastics at KU Med (http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-medicine/plastic-surgery/residency-program/current-residents.html). I believe he is doing a reconstructive fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic now.

The KU guy is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

thanks but I aced the MCAT

Point is someone just matched to ACGME plastics from KCUMB

No they didn't, they matched ENT. Still a phenomenal match though. The KCU plastics match was a couple years ago