Residency Match Advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhopeful987

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year planning to apply EM. I am slightly below average applicant at a newer DO school. I am considering hiring a match advisor to help with my application, personal statement, and which residencies to apply to. I was to strategically apply- I know I need to apply broadly but I don’t want to waste tons of money/overwhelm myself. I think residency advising could help me create a list that’s smart. Not over exerting myself by applying too broadly would make it worth the money. My school will help me but the people who help with that are very busy and sometimes hard to meet with/only have time for short meetings.

Has anyone used an advisor for this? What are companies are good or bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean for EM you probably don't need it

Reactions: 1 user
I am a third year planning to apply EM. I am slightly below average applicant at a newer DO school. I am considering hiring a match advisor to help with my application, personal statement, and which residencies to apply to. I was to strategically apply- I know I need to apply broadly but I don’t want to waste tons of money/overwhelm myself. I think residency advising could help me create a list that’s smart. Not over exerting myself by applying too broadly would make it worth the money. My school will help me but the people who help with that are very busy and sometimes hard to meet with/only have time for short meetings.

Has anyone used an advisor for this? What are companies are good or bad?
For EM, instead of spending money on an advisor, CORD has a system in place of connecting students with no home EM residency program with an advisor to help provide guidance and mentorship with the residency application process. (Source)

Members don't see this ad :)
The guidance of mentors from groups is a hit or a miss and likely the same problem of “they’re too busy” often ends up leading to having to either wait forever or hiring someone or dealing with people who clearly have no idea

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you waste your money? If you have a pulse, you'll match. Spend some time researching programs that you might like and apply

Use the money that you’d spend on a match advisor on applying more broadly. EM is not competitive at all nowadays—but it’s always nice to have more options when the interview invites start being sent out.

Reactions: 3 users
At best, your residency match advisor will say what people on this site say. Not worth the money.