DO matching in psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarsar333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am just now beginning the application process for med school, and am strongly considering a DO program. I think I'm a decent candidate for an allopathic program as well, and I can still make the choice to go that route, however there are a few reasons why the DO might be a better choice for me. I am fairly certain that I want to train in psychiatry and, although I know most residency programs accept DOs, I am wondering if I will be at a significant disadvantage trying to apply to a psych residency from a DO as opposed to an MD program. Since I'm still in a position to make the MD vs. Do choice, I just want to know if there are any disadvantages to going the DO route. Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am a DO student who applied to psych this year and I don't feel it held me back in any way. I did take the USMLE Step 1 just to reassure programs (if any of them might have wondered) that I can hold my own with the MDs, but I am not even sure if that was really necessary.
Since I wish to stay in the midwest, that is where I focused on interviewing, and I received interview invitations from a lot of the top-ranked programs in the midwest.
If you were going to run into a problem anywhere, I think it would be with some of the coastal programs. If you have your heart set on a particular big name East Coast program, it's possible that you may run into some discrimination. I'd expect that sort of discrimination would be the same sort of discrimination you'd run into from attending an MD school that doesn't have "name recognition". In spite of that, I've heard that some of the big East Coast programs are in fact DO-friendly (notably Yale).
In other words: Yes, a few particular programs may not know what to think of a DO, but many excellent programs will give you a chance. Of all the fields where DOs might face discrimination, I really don't think it is a worry in psych.
Good luck!

One suggestion: if you want to go to a place that has not had much experience with DO's, you should consider doing an elective so that they can see you and your skills. There are well-known psychiatrists who are DO's (and--though I realize it's a different issue--who are Americans who went to med school in places like the Caribbean), but all training programs are more comfortable with the familiar and want as much reassurance as possible.