DO Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Word.

All you SCHMUCKS talkin smack about PCOM need to recognize. We had matches in some of the most competitive fields in ALLOPATHIC programs:

Anesthesia (7)
ENT (1)
Ophtho (2)
Rads (5)

Not "ophtho" at Podunk osteopathic general hospital in North Dakota.

So listen up! PCOM rules. 'Ya got that? Good.

(Props to the kid/chick at UMDNJ who landed a Derm spot at Case. Strong work)

i dont think that many "schmucks" are "talkin smack" about PCOM. Its good to see all of the DO students match into competitive things. Every school had an impressive match... why dont you read them all before you post stupid $hit like you did. "Ya got that? Good".

Members don't see this ad.

NYCOM did very well this year in the allopathic match. Just off the top of my head ones that I remembered:

Dermatology
Albert Einstein Montefiore :eek:

Rads:
Yale
Temple
Penn State University
Hartford Hospital
St Lukes/Roosevelt: affiliated with Columbia in NYC

Pathology
University of Texas Southwestern - look it up in robbins
Mayo Clinic Rochester

Internal Medicine
Numerous university places - Temple, Drexel, RWJ, USC, ?Dartmouth, John's Hopkins Bayview, Northwestern Evanstown

Opthamology
Howard University

Family Practice
Columbia Presbyterian (the primary hospital of Columbia) in NYC

PMR
NYU
University of Washington (top 5 hospital by NIH)

Ortho: 6-7 into osteopathic spots, 1 into an allo

ER: 20++ half into allopathic, 1/2 into osteopathic

I don't know if any of those are podunk, haven't seen a better match list yet in the DO world :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
NYCOM did very well this year in the allopathic match. Just off the top of my head ones that I remembered:

Dermatology
Albert Einstein Montefiore :eek:

Rads:
Yale
Temple
Penn State University
Hartford Hospital
St Lukes/Roosevelt: affiliated with Columbia in NYC

Pathology
University of Texas Southwestern - look it up in robbins
Mayo Clinic Rochester

Internal Medicine
Numerous university places - Temple, Drexel, RWJ, USC, ?Dartmouth, John's Hopkins Bayview, Northwestern Evanstown

Opthamology
Howard University

Family Practice
Columbia Presbyterian (the primary hospital of Columbia) in NYC

PMR
NYU
University of Washington (top 5 hospital by NIH)

Ortho: 6-7 into osteopathic spots, 1 into an allo

ER: 20++ half into allopathic, 1/2 into osteopathic

I don't know if any of those are podunk, haven't seen a better match list yet in the DO world :rolleyes:

Any idea about peds matches? Thanks

Most were either at Schneider (LIJ) or Maimonides. There were a few, others, I remember hearing Rochester. There was also a Ped-Neuro at Yale I believe.

Anesthesiology (11)- All Allopathic-UTSW, Oklahoma, Cleveland Clinic, UPMC Mercy, UMKC, KU-Wichita, Henry Ford, Oregon, Med Coll of Wisconsin, SLU, Naval Medical Center

Diagnostic Radiology (6) 5-Allo, 1-Osteo- Madigan Army Medical Center (2), UMKC (2), Oklahoma, TCOM,

Emergency Med (27) 11-Allo, 16-Osteo- Albert Einstein, Geisinger, CWRU Metrohealth, University of Florida, SUNY Downstate, Temple University (2), University of Iowa, Oklahoma, Penn State, University of Arkansas

Family Medicine (39) 90% - Allopathic- too many to name!

General Surgery (12) 7-Allo, 5-Osteo- NYMC, Air Force (2), Naval Medical Center (2), St. John's Episcopal, University of Kansas

Internal Medicine (28)- Illinois, Arizona, Cleveland Clinic, Air Force, Oregon, Med Coll of Wisconsin, SLU, Indiana, KUMC, KU-Wichita, Minnesota, Oklahoma

EM/IM- (2)- LSU New Orleans, POH

IM/Peds (1)- UMKC

Neurosurgery (1)- PCOM

Neurology (4) 3-Allo, 1-Osteo- Penn State, John Hopkins University-Main, Baylor, Grandview Medical Center

Ob-Gyn (12) 9-Allo, 3-Osteo- Crieghton, Madigan Army Medical Center, SLU, NEOCOM, University of California, University of Kansas (2), UMKC, Oklahoma

Orthopedic Surgery- (7) All Osteopathic

ENT-(3) All Osteopathic

Pediatics- (13) All Allopathic- Bayolor, UMKC-Children's Mercy Hospital (3), UT-Austin, UMDNJ, Jersey Shore Medical Center, Medical College of Georgia, CWRU, Drexel University, KU, University of South Alabama, Tennessee, WVU

PM&R (4)- Arkansas, KU-Wichita, KUMC, Wayne State University

Psychiatry (4)- Vanderbilt, KUMC, Minnesota, South Dakota

Urology- Albert Einstein Medical Center

Pretty Good huh?

Anesthesiology (11)- All Allopathic-UTSW, Oklahoma, Cleveland Clinic, UPMC Mercy, UMKC, KU-Wichita, Henry Ford, Oregon, Med Coll of Wisconsin, SLU, Naval Medical Center

Diagnostic Radiology (6) 5-Allo, 1-Osteo- Madigan Army Medical Center (2), UMKC (2), Oklahoma, TCOM,

Emergency Med (27) 11-Allo, 16-Osteo- Albert Einstein, Geisinger, CWRU Metrohealth, University of Florida, SUNY Downstate, Temple University (2), University of Iowa, Oklahoma, Penn State, University of Arkansas

General Surgery (12) 7-Allo, 5-Osteo- NYMC, Air Force (2), Naval Medical Center (2), St. John's Episcopal, University of Kansas

Internal Medicine (28)- Illinois, Arizona, Cleveland Clinic, Air Force, Oregon, Med Coll of Wisconsin, SLU, Indiana, KUMC, KU-Wichita, Minnesota, Oklahoma

IM/Peds (1)- UMKC

Neurosurgery (1)- PCOM

Neurology (4) 3-Allo, 1-Osteo- Penn State, John Hopkins University-Main, Baylor, Grandview Medical Center

Ob-Gyn (12) 9-Allo, 3-Osteo- Crieghton, Madigan Army Medical Center, SLU, NEOCOM, University of California, University of Kansas (2), UMKC, Oklahoma

ENT-(3) All Osteopathic

Pediatics- (13) All Allopathic- Bayolor, UMKC-Children's Mercy Hospital (3), UT-Austin, UMDNJ, Jersey Shore Medical Center, Medical College of Georgia, CWRU, Drexel University, KU, University of South Alabama, Tennessee, WVU

Pretty Good huh?

Looking good guys. Hope class of 2009 can have as good of a match or better. :thumbup:

IM/Peds (1)- UMKC

Neurosurgery (1)- PCOM

ENT-(3) All Osteopathic

Pretty Good huh?

That's a DAMN good match list. Congrats guys!!!!!!! :thumbup::D

KCUMB is hands down the best DO school in the world!! Take that PCOM! :smuggrin:

Anesthesiology 11 5.56%

Diagnostic Radiology 6 3.03%

Emergency Medicine 22 11.11%

Family Medicine 40 20.20%

General Surgery 16 8.08%

Internal Medicine 30 15.15%

Internal Medicine & Emergency Medicine 2 1.01%

Internal Medicine & Pediatrics 1 0.51%

Neurological Surgery 1 0.51%

Neurology 4 2.02%

Obstetrics-Gynecology 13 6.57%

Orthopedic Surgery 7 3.54%

Otolaryngology & Facial-Plastic Surgery 3 1.52%

Pediatrics 14 7.07%

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation 4 2.02%

Preliminary Internal Medicine 4 2.02%

Preliminary Surgery 2 1.01%

Psychiatry 4 2.02%

Traditional Rotating Internship 8 4.04%

Transitional Rotating Internship 5 2.53%

Urology 1 0.51%

Totals 198 100.00%

Does any one know where to find Turo-CA 2008 match list? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a link to NSU's official match list for 2008?

Thanks...

That is beyond impressive. I think there is another MD derm match at CCOM.

nice. well makes me feel all warm inside going to ccom :laugh:.
i can believe it the way our curriculum is.

nice. well makes me feel all warm inside going to ccom :laugh:.
i can believe it the way our curriculum is.

Everything I have seen regarding CCOM is top notch, and definitely one of my top choices when applications roll around.

is there an official NYCOM match list out?

i be very impressed if one of the DO student got a spot at Children's hospital of philadelphia.

fellowship is totally different beast as they accept good number of DOs each year.

Do DO schools update their Match Lists after the initial posting? I ask because I happen to know for a fact that three (and not just one as posted) PCOM students matched at Temple in Psychiatry.

48---That's a lot for traditional rotation/internship. Why couldn't these guys match?? That's close to a full class size at some MD schools.

You need the TRI (traditional rotating internship) in order to practice in Florida (one of the 5 states which require the internship for licensure). You'll see the same thing with LECOM PA's match list, because PA is also one of the five states that requires the TRI for licensure.

Another thing worth mentioning is that as of recently, some AOA residency programs, according to the "new" AOA internship requirements, (variations occur between residency types; ie specialties) now consider the first year of the residency as the TRI internship year, so many of these students have already matched and are participating in their first year of a residency program, but are technically considered to be in their "internship" year.

Last edited:
i be very impressed if one of the DO student got a spot at Children's hospital of philadelphia.

nycom got one in chob... close enough, if you rotate the b about a horizontal axis...

You need the TRI (traditional rotating internship) in order to practice in Florida (one of the 5 states which require the internship for licensure). You'll see the same thing with LECOM PA's match list, because PA is also one of the five states that requires the TRI for licensure.

Another thing worth mentioning is that as of recently, some AOA residency programs, according to the "new" AOA internship requirements, (variations occur between residency types; ie specialties) now consider the first year of the residency as the TRI internship year, so many of these students have already matched and are participating in their first year of a residency program, but are technically considered to be in their "internship" year.
Ok. I have a question about this one. So let's take something like EM or IM (both of which are now "option 1" programs). I notice that most programs in those five states haven't updated their websites and still list their residency programs as PGY-2 through PGY-4. So do you need to still apply for a TRI in those states or not? According to AOA, they're option 1 programs and you should no longer need a TRI. Yet the websites of the programs still don't seem to take into account the new rules. I'm totally confused as to what I should be doing when applying next year. Do I have to apply for a TRI or not if I want an option 1 program in those five states? Or can I just apply for the residency? :confused::confused:

I've been looking at programs while I have time this summer so I can apply for away rotations, but without knowing what the heck I'm going to be applying FOR, it's a little difficult. :(

my understanding is that all of the DO EM programs are now PGY1-4. I know my progam hasn't had a decent upgrade of our webpage in many years (seriously out of date).

BTW: the 5 states don't require a TRI, they just require a DO intern program. More specifically, my state, Oklahoma, doesn't technically require a DO internship even though it is listed as one of the 5.

requirements taken directly from the OK license application said:
Postgraduate training must be at least one (1) year of rotating internship, or its equivalent, in an
accredited internship or residency program acceptable to the Board. To be deemed "equivalent"
to a rotating internship, a first year postgraduate experience must contain the following:
One (1) month – General Practice
One (1) month – OB/GYN
One (1) month – General Surgery
One (1) month – Pediatrics
Two (2) months – General Internal Medicine, and
Three (3) months – Selectives, which means any of these core areas or Emergency Medicine, and
Three (3) months – Electives, to complete a total of twelve months.

Not all PGY1 years will cover this, but some can be adjusted to cover it without too much difficulty.

48---That's a lot for traditional rotation/internship. Why couldn't these guys match?? That's close to a full class size at some MD schools.

The word is that there are at least two rads and two derms in that group doing TRI. It's been stated before but bears repeating that the true placement of graduates (esp of schools in the 5 states) would be better understood if those that were accepted into residencies (but their intern year was classified as TRI) were indicated as such for the TRI category.

Can someone post the official NYCOM match list. Thank you in advance.

Can someone post the official NYCOM match list. Thank you in advance.

You can get it on the Still site, its at the bottom of the page. I'm not sure if you can post it though, i don't think the school would like that.

someone teach me how to interpret DO matchlist result.

They're exactly the same as MD matchlist results. The only difference would be the "transitional year" which is for residencies that start PGY-2 (ie. derm); kinda like a prelim year for MD students.

it's just there are a lot of community hospitals that I don't seem to recognize. A friend of mine is choosing between different DO schools and wants to do community residency.

I want to learn what makes one community residency better than the other. university affliation? patient population? word of mouth?

I think our clinical ed dept quoted that there are 1000 teaching hospitals in the US; thus, I'm sure most people would not recognize a lot of them, unless you are from around the area or it is associated with "big name" schools.

The process of choosing a residency is the same for both MD and DO students. During your 3/4th year, you can do audition rotations at any hospital that has your residency. You choose these by talking to upper classman, alumni, searching the web, SDN, ect. to find out information regarding each hospital.

For example: in regards to surgical field. I have read that many smaller programs, community ones, offer more operative experience through the training as well as earlier (PGY1-2 OR experierence). This is due to the fact that there may be only 10 attendings and 2 residents per year. In contrast, a university hospital may have 8 residents per year, 40 attendings, 10 fellows; thus they may have more volume overall, but you may not touch a patient in the OR till PGY-3/4.

Also, the community program will probably have more bread and butter cases, while university hospitals may have super complex cases each week vs once a year in the community hospital.

Basically, when you get to 3/4th year, you can start to think about what is more important to you, academic vs private medicine, research vs. none, lots of residents vs smaller program, big name university vs small town community.

Over 60% of DO students end up in ACGME (MD) programs, unless the DO students are considering neuro, ortho, plastics, derm; those usually go to AOA programs.

Also, a big name hospital such as "Mayo" may not offer "the best" program in field X.

it's just there are a lot of community hospitals that I don't seem to recognize. A friend of mine is choosing between different DO schools and wants to do community residency.

I want to learn what makes one community residency better than the other. university affliation? patient population? word of mouth?

Usually a combination of all three. Alot of DO hospitals are small community hospitals but are located in pretty nasty neighborhoods and have level I ER's. Alot of programs, especially specialty surgery programs, will have affiliations with big university hospitals, this is where alot of good didactic training happens(according to a friend of mine). In general the major DO hospital systems are in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. These have the widest variety of residency programs. The schools that rotate at these hospitals are MSUCOM, OUCOM, DMUCOM, PCOM, KCOM, and KCUMB and these students tend to match into these spots more often. TCOM, OSUCOM, UMDNJ, and NSUCOM also have pretty good hospitals systems of their own. I dont know much about CCOM but i think they have hospital affiliations of their own in chicago with residency programs. Seems like a solid place. If i had to recommend a school to a friend i would say to go to one of the schools in the midwest or texas/oklahoma if they were instate.