DO Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll guess VCOM...:confused:

Negative

VCOM was the post that was titled "VCOM"

it was a few posts before it

Members don't see this ad.

Word.

All you SCHMUCKS talkin smack about PCOM need to recognize. We had matches in some of the most competitive fields in ALLOPATHIC programs:

Anesthesia (7)
ENT (1)
Ophtho (2)
Rads (5)

Not "ophtho" at Podunk osteopathic general hospital in North Dakota.

So listen up! PCOM rules. 'Ya got that? Good.

(Props to the kid/chick at UMDNJ who landed a Derm spot at Case. Strong work)

And if the above doesn't make a pre-med want to attend PCOM, I don't know what will :rolleyes:. Enough with the elitism, especially when it isn't even backed up by anything.

The derm spot is the osteopathic version of the program, for the record.

Members don't see this ad :)
Word.

All you SCHMUCKS talkin smack about PCOM need to recognize.

"I recognize. I recognize I recognize that street violence
is tearing DO's apart. And, fellas, DO's are my family. Oh, and here's a thought: Instead of thinking of ourselves as what set
we're from, what crew you're rolling with...why can't we just be brothers?
What do you say?"

Scpod's right. This isn't that great a list for that big of a class...LECOM-B's first year class had 6 allo anesthesia matches, out of a class almost half your size.

Besides, if this is how PCOM-ers talk...:rolleyes:

Well in defense of any match list, it is very likely that not that many people wanted to go into competitive residencies. Not everyone wants to go into gas, or ortho or ophto... What we should be more concerned about is the % of people getting their first choice and the number of high quality SCHOOLS in the list that people go to, NOT in the number of competitive residencies a list has. That is one thing that really bugs me when people talk about lists like these. There are many factors as to why you dont see such and such.

Now, with regard to PCOM, I personally dont like the # of transitional year internships are on the list. I would have expected less of that and would have wanted to see more categorical matches.

Oh one last thing, not everyone is represented in the match lists. Sometimes out of match agreements are made between students and the school they rotated at. And I wouldn't be surprised if PCOM had some of those since PCOM is in an area with 6 or 7? great medical schools in one very small location.

Well in defense of any match list, it is very likely that not that many people wanted to go into competitive residencies....

There's no need to defend it. Personally, I think choosing a school based on a matchlist is one of the silliest things you can do. It doesn't matter what last year's class did; matching is up to you. Yet, so many people are jumping up and down about it. Really, if you look at all the lists posted so far, there aren't all that many differences. People who are bragging must not be looking at the other lists. It just shows that you can get a good spot no matter where you go.

Now, with regard to PCOM, I personally dont like the # of transitional year internships are on the list. I would have expected less of that and would have wanted to see more categorical matches.....

It's PA so that's not unusual. A lot of those are for licesing issues.

Oh one last thing, not everyone is represented in the match lists. Sometimes out of match agreements are made between students and the school they rotated at. And I wouldn't be surprised if PCOM had some of those since PCOM is in an area with 6 or 7? great medical schools in one very small location.

They have 246 spots listed on the website. If there were any more good ones, they would list them.

There's no need to defend it. Personally, I think choosing a school based on a matchlist is one of the silliest things you can do. It doesn't matter what last year's class did; matching is up to you. Yet, so many people are jumping up and down about it. Really, if you look at all the lists posted so far, there aren't all that many differences. People who are bragging must not be looking at the other lists. It just shows that you can get a good spot no matter where you go.

I don't think it's entirely silly to choose a school based on match list. For example, it lets you know which hospitals are receptive to graduates of your school. In my case, I know that there are great programs in NYC that accept and welcome grads from my school and others that do not (based on the last 10 yrs of match lists). Of course it's not the only criteria, but it's one of many factors to look at which selecting a school.

...For example, it lets you know which hospitals are receptive to graduates of your school. In my case, I know that there are great programs in NYC that accept and welcome grads from my school and others that do not (based on the last 10 yrs of match lists)....

Do you REALLY think it's based on the school and not the individual? Up to last year, LSU-Shreveport had NEVER accepted a DO student into their Neurosurgery program. BUT, they took a DO from Lecom last year. If he had just assumed that they weren't receptive to his school, then his life would be a lot different right now. In reality, the school you go to doesn't mean crap. It is YOU who decides your fate....not your school. Match list doesn't mean a thing.

Do you REALLY think it's based on the school and not the individual? Up to last year, LSU-Shreveport had NEVER accepted a DO student into their Neurosurgery program. BUT, they took a DO from Lecom last year. If he had just assumed that they weren't receptive to his school, then his life would be a lot different right now. In reality, the school you go to doesn't mean crap. It is YOU who decides your fate....not your school. Match list doesn't mean a thing.

That's not the point I am making. I am NOT saying that you will get into a residency solely based on school. I am saying that if a program has alot of your graduates in their residency it can only benefit you. Maybe it works differently in other schools/states, but that's how it is in New York City.

For example, NYU PM&R has about 10 or so residents PGY-2 and PGY-3 that are from NYCOM. If I see that on a matchlist that tells me that NYU PM&R is "NYCOM Friendly". Of course that program also takes grads from other schools, but you'd be lying if you told me that being a NYCOM alum doesn't offer a teeny weeny slight edge.

In reality, the school you go to doesn't mean crap. It is YOU who decides your fate....not your school. Match list doesn't mean a thing.

Not quite true. I was told by one PD that I didn't receive an interview because my school wasn't "mainstream." When I asked if it was because it was DO he said it wasn't that, but was more that it was "like Duke vs. East Carolina." I was told by another that I was the first DO to get an interview there because he was a new PD, and the previous wouldn't interview DOs. At another it was mentioned several times how much they liked previous graduates of my school who had been residents there.
Schools like PCOM and CCOM, and even COMP and NSUCOM, are well-known to programs by now, especially in their regions. The newer ones are not.

That's not the point I am making. I am NOT saying that you will get into a residency solely based on school. I am saying that if a program has alot of your graduates in their residency it can only benefit you. Maybe it works differently in other schools/states, but that's how it is in New York City.

For example, NYU PM&R has about 10 or so residents PGY-2 and PGY-3 that are from NYCOM. If I see that on a matchlist that tells me that NYU PM&R is "NYCOM Friendly". Of course that program also takes grads from other schools, but you'd be lying if you told me that being a NYCOM alum doesn't offer a teeny weeny slight edge.

Of course, another confounding variable is location. Maybe more people who went to school up in NY want to stay there for residency and more apply to those programs.

They may by "NYCOM friendly" in that they have a lot of NY grads there, but I don't think we'll ever really get enough details to see if going to school there is a significant advantage or not. I gotta think that those who go to school there will probably be able to make more networking connections with those programs than say, me who lives down in Florida.

There's also going to be the anecdotal stories of PDs having a personal preference for one school's grads over the other, but in the end I would think those are hit and miss and not something you can really rely on.

Members don't see this ad :)
....I am saying that if a program has alot of your graduates in their residency it can only benefit you....

I'm not disagreeing with that. There will be specific residencies that have good connections to particular schools. I'm saying that the loads of people worshipping school X because it has 7 people going here and 4 there and 3 over there....is pretty much useless. All the talk about school Y is kicking everyone's butt because they have blah blah blah is silly. EVERY school has people going to good residencies. Still, though, it doesn't matter how many people from your school before you have done well at Z residency. It WILL probably increase your chances at getting an interview, but it WON'T increase your chance at getting on their ranklist unless you are a consistent performer who has worked rather hard on his or her own.

I entirely agree with scpod on this issue. I think it's important to look at the match lists of the schools simply to get an idea of what people have done but I definitely don't think anyone should be picking a school based on the match list, there's simply too many factors involved. Someone mentioned in a post about finding out how many people in the class got their first choice for residency, this number to me is much more meaningful.

-J

I entirely agree with scpod on this issue. I think it's important to look at the match lists of the schools simply to get an idea of what people have done but I definitely don't think anyone should be picking a school based on the match list, there's simply too many factors involved. Someone mentioned in a post about finding out how many people in the class got their first choice for residency, this number to me is much more meaningful.

-J

Not really...if 100% of a school's graduates got their first choice of Family Medicine programs, would that be more "meaningful" than another school where 100% matched into a ROAD specialty, regardless of where it was on their ranklist? My point is someone matching to their #20 Derm program says a lot more than someone getting their #1 FP choice. That Derm candidate could have had any FP slot they wanted.
I also think a school's matchlist is something that should be taken into consideration, just as a residency programs fellowship placement is a priority.

Not really...if 100% of a school's graduates got their first choice of Family Medicine programs, would that be more "meaningful" than another school where 100% matched into a ROAD specialty, regardless of where it was on their ranklist? My point is someone matching to their #20 Derm program says a lot more than someone getting their #1 FP choice. That Derm candidate could have had any FP slot they wanted.
I also think a school's matchlist is something that should be taken into consideration, just as a residency programs fellowship placement is a priority.

this type of thinking is just not taking enough factors into consideration. Your assumptions are that every person who match FP could ONLY match FP. You are not considering that their are FP residents who scored in the 99% and there are ROAD students who didn't. And before you try and argue the obvious, I know there will be a majority in each case; the majority of ROAD's did well and some FP did not do so hot. But the point is, a list of matches is extremely limiting in the info it's providing a prospective student about a particular institution. Curriculum styles, teaching styles, extra-curricular opportunities are much more important. Your medical education is what you make it.

this type of thinking is just not taking enough factors into consideration. Your assumptions are that every person who match FP could ONLY match FP. You are not considering that their are FP residents who scored in the 99% and there are ROAD students who didn't. And before you try and argue the obvious, I know there will be a majority in each case; the majority of ROAD's did well and some FP did not do so hot. But the point is, a list of matches is extremely limiting in the info it's providing a prospective student about a particular institution. Curriculum styles, teaching styles, extra-curricular opportunities are much more important. Your medical education is what you make it.

I agree on that point, I just said it is something to be taken into consideration along with everything else. What I disagree with is the notion that how many get their 1st choice would mean anything, for the reason I said.

I'm applying to DO schools and, while I know I shouldn't be basing my decision off of the match (as it changes year to year and is dependent on the applicant) -- it still seems that location is a huge plus. For example, if I went to Des Moines, I would likely stay there for a residency. So does that mean I should go to Touro if I want to be in CA? Or is this self-selection bias -- that the people who choose a location for med school are the people who choose the same area for residency?

Thanks for your advice.

I'm applying to DO schools and, while I know I shouldn't be basing my decision off of the match (as it changes year to year and is dependent on the applicant) -- it still seems that location is a huge plus. For example, if I went to Des Moines, I would likely stay there for a residency. So does that mean I should go to Touro if I want to be in CA? Or is this self-selection bias -- that the people who choose a location for med school are the people who choose the same area for residency?

Thanks for your advice.

The programs in the areas of the school are familiar with the school, whereas ones outside the area often are not. This is something unique to osteopathic schools that don't have national recognition, as opposed to allopathic schools that everyone knows about. For example, the Radiology PD at University of Georgia has probably never heard of Touro, but the one at UCSF-Fresno I'm sure has.
This isn't true of the newer branch schools though - you will find more of a recognition in the mother-schools region than in the new area.
Also, having ties to an area makes a difference. If you're from CA but go to school out east you'll have a better chance at a residency in CA than someone that has lived in Kentucky their whole life.
This is all generally speaking - of course there are exceptions. However, if you want to do a CA residency, I would definitely go to school in CA.

You *****s get into these arguments every year with these pissing matches between schools. Get a life! You all are sticking up for institutions that you're in debted to at the cost of about $200,000. These schools don't give a rats *** about you.

You *****s get into these arguments every year with these pissing matches between schools. Get a life! You all are sticking up for institutions that you're in debted to at the cost of about $200,000. These schools don't give a rats *** about you.

As tough as this sounds, I think it is pretty accurate. We are idiots. Should have gone to dental school.

As tough as this sounds, I think it is pretty accurate. We are idiots. Should have gone to dental school.

I don't know why people say this. Dental school can cost more than medical school. The only difference is they end in 4 years. We still get paid in residency though and usually make more than dentists in practice. Here's proof http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academic/DMDprogram/dmd-tuition.html
That tuition alone is more than 200000!

Not true, dentists make around $200,000 right after dental school, and a whole lot more if they specialize. Switched before it was too late!

getting away from the topic at hand... if anyone has NYCOM's official list, thanks for posting it!

getting away from the topic at hand... if anyone has NYCOM's official list, thanks for posting it!

Hasn't been compiled yet at NYCOM. I think last yr it was available around June/July :(

Hasn't been compiled yet at NYCOM. I think last yr it was available around June/July :(

boo. must occupy myself with thoughts of something else in the meantime. angelina jolie. excellent, thank you.

I added a few more.

(originally from pegasus)
NSUCOM 2008 Match List
(Partial list as submitted by members of Class of 2008)

Anesthesiology(9)
UF - Gainesville, FL
Texas Tech Health Sciences Center- Lubbock, TX
Jackson Memorial Hospital – Miami, FL
Cleveland Clinic – Cleveland, OH (2)
University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, NC
University of Louisville – Louisville, KY
University of Texas – Houston, TX
Penn State Hershey Medical Center – Hershey, PA

Emergency Medicine(12)
UF - Jacksonville, FL
Mt Sinai Medical Center – Miami Beach, FL (2)
Medical College of Georgia – Augusta, GA
University of South Florida – Tampa, FL
SUNY Downstate – Brooklyn, NY
Christiana Care – Newark, DE
St. Barnabas Hospital – Bronx, NY
Good Samaritan Hospital – Long Island, NY
Maimonides Medical Center – Brooklyn, NY
LSU Health Science Center – Baton Rouge, LA

Family Medicine/Emergency Medicine
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital – Pontiac, MI

Family Medicine
Florida Hospital East Orlando – Orlando, FL
Medical University of South Carolina – Charleston, SC
Palmetto General Hospital – Hialeah, FL
MacNeal Hospital – Chicago, IL
UCLA/Northridge Hospital – Los Angeles, CA
Marquette Family Medicine – Marquette, MI
University of Massachusetts – Worcester, MA
Martin Army Community Hospital – Columbus, GA
St. Joseph’s Medical Center – Reading, PA
Broward General Medical Center – Fort Lauderdale, FL
North Colorado Family Medicine – Greeley, CO

General Surgery(7)
Grandview Hospital – Dayton, OH
Garden City Hospital – Garden City, MI
St. Joseph/Exempla – Denver, CO
Tripler Army Medical Center – Honolulu, HI (2)
Lutheran Medical Center – Brooklyn, NY
UF/Shands Health Science Center – Jacksonville, FL

Internal Medicine
Yale University – New Haven, CT
Columbia University/St. Luke’s Roosevelt – New York, NY
Emory University – Atlanta, GA
Dartmouth/Hitchcock – Hanover, NH
Medical College of Georgia – August, GA
Drexel University – Philadelphia, PA
UMDNJ – Newark, NJ
University of Florida/Shands Hospital – Gainesville, FL
Naval Medical Center – Portsmouth, VA (2)
Christ Hospital – Cincinnati, OH
Broward General Medical Center – Fort Lauderdale, FL (4)
University of Miami at Palm Beach – West Palm Beach, FL
Cleveland Clinic Florida – Weston, FL
Medical College of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, WI
Madigan Army Medical Center – Fort Lewis, WA
Eisenhower Army Medical Center – Augusta, GA
University of South Florida – Tampa, FL
Oakwood Hospital and Medical Center – Dearborn, MI
Palmetto General Hospital – Hialeah, FL

Internal Medicine/Pediatrics
Baystate/Tufts – Springfield, MA

Internal Medicine/Women’s Health
Virginia Commonwealth University – Richmond, VA

Neurology(4)
Cleveland Clinic Florida – Weston, FL
University of Kansas – Kansas City, KS
University of South Florida - Tampa, FL

Obstetrics/Gynecology(8)
Drexel University – Philadelphia, PA
Ingham Regional Medical Center – Lansing, MI
Medical College of Georgia – Augusta, GA
Eastern Virginia Medical School – Norfolk, VA
East Carolina University/Pitt County – Greenville, NC
Saint Francis Hospital – Hartford, CT
Good Samaritan Hospital – West Islip, NY
Mercy Suburban – Norristown, PA

Ophthalmology(1)

Orthopedic Surgery(2)
Broward General Medical Center – Fort Lauderdale, FL
Naval Medical Center – Portsmouth, VA

Pathology(2)
Creighton University – Omaha, NE
University of Toronto – Toronto, Ontario, CANADA

Pediatrics(15)
UF Shands - Gainesville, FL
Wright Patterson AFB/Dayton Children’s – Dayton, OH
University of South Alabama – Mobile, AL
University of South Florida – Tampa, FL (3)
LSU Children’s Hospital – New Orleans, LA
Arnold Palmer Children’s Hospital – Orlando, FL
Nationwide Children’s Hospital – Columbus, OH
Palms West Hospital – Loxahatchee, FL (2)
Westchester Medical Center – Westchester, NY
Walter Reed Army Medical Center – Washington, DC
Detroit Children’s Hospital – Detroit, MI
Geisinger Medical Center – Geisinger, PA

Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation(4)
Northwestern University/Rehab Institute of Chicago – Chicago, IL (2)
Boston University Medical Center – Boston, MA

Psychiatry
USC/Palmetto Health Richland – Columbia, SC
Medical University of South Carolina – Charleston, SC

Radiology(4)
Ohio State University - Columbus, Ohio
University of Florida Jacksonville – Jacksonville, FL
Oakwood Southshore – Trenton, MI
University of Oklahoma – Oklahoma City, OK

Traditional Rotating
Illinois Masonic – Chicago, IL
UPMC St. Margaret – Pittsburgh, PA
Palmetto General Hospital – Hialeah, FL (5)

Transitional Year
Brooke Army Medical Center – San Antonia, TX
Keesler AFB – Biloxi, MS[/quote]

I just got a glimpse of the LECOM Class of 2008 match. I thought last year's match list was impressive; this year may be just as impressive with significant consistency in strong mid to upper tier allopathic residencies matched.

I just got a glimpse of the LECOM Class of 2008 match. I thought last year's match list was impressive; this year may be just as impressive with significant consistency in strong mid to upper tier allopathic residencies matched.

eh, i think it's weak.

It might be weak if you are considering big time specialties, but in terms of quality of institutions, this may be the most respectful allopathic match the school has ever had. There were several Cleveland Clinic matches in IM; UPitt matches in anesth.; Brown psych.; JHopkins in EM; several USC (one in path. i believe). Another success has been to finally break down the Penn State barrier. For a state school with three DO schools in its home state, it didn't take the numbers one would expect. I think we matched three or four at PSU; a good start.

It might be weak if you are considering big time specialties, but in terms of quality of institutions, this may be the most respectful allopathic match the school has ever had. There were several Cleveland Clinic matches in IM; UPitt matches in anesth.; Brown psych.; JHopkins in EM; several USC (one in path. i believe). Another success has been to finally break down the Penn State barrier. For a state school with three DO schools in its home state, it didn't take the numbers one would expect. I think we matched three or four at PSU; a good start.

Hershey has always taken DOs. Year after year. Its just in Hershey so the applications are not flooding in. There are only two DO schools in the state. They consistently take from PCOM and they appear on a number of other match lists.

AP = Allopathic OP = Osteopathic MI= Military

125 reporting

Breakdowns:

Family Medicine - 39 students (28 allopathic, 11 osteopathic)
Internal Medicine- 21 students (15 AP, 6 OP)
Emergency Medicine - 13 Students (8 AP, 5 OP)
Pediatrics- 12 students (all allopathic)
Anesthesia- 6 students (all allopathic)
OB/GYN- 5 students (all allopathic)
Orthopedic Surgery- 5 students (all osteopathic or military)
Traditional Rotating-- 4 students (all osteopathic)
PM & R -- 4 students (all allopathic)
Psychiatry- 3 students (all allopathic)
Radiology- 3 students (2 osteopathic, one military)
Pathology- 2 students (both allopathic)
General Surgery- 2 students (both allopathic)
IM/EM - 2 students (1 each)
Urology- 1 student (osteo)
EM/PEDS- 1 student (allopathic)
IM/Peds- 1 student (allopathic)
Neurology- 1 student (allopathic)

Specifically:

ANESTHESIA
Strong Memorial- Rochester, NY – AP
Banner Good Samaritan- Phoenix–AP
University of Utah—AP
Virginia Commonwealth Univ – AP
Medical College of Wisconsin—AP
UT Southwestern—Dallas, TX -- AP

EMERGENCY MEDICINE
UCSF-Fresno—AP
Maricopa Medical Center- AP
University of Connecticut—AP
MWU-AZCOM/Kingman Med Ctr—OP
St. James Hospital- Olympia Fields, IL – OP
Louisiana State- Baton Rouge – AP
Wake Forest University—AP
Oklahoma State Univ—OP
UT Southwestern – Dallas, TX – AP
SUNY Upstate- Syracuse, NY – AP
Henry Ford- Clinton Twnshp, MI—OP
Genesys Regional – Grand Blanc, MI—OP
Indiana University -- AP

EMERGENCY MEDICINE/PEDIATRICS
Indiana University-- AP

FAMILY MEDICINE
North Colorado Medical Center--- AP
Memorial Hosp- South Bend, IN—AP
St. Mary’s Hospital – Grand Junction, CO – AP
WESTUCOMP- Long Beach, CA –OP x 3
MWU-AZCOM Kingman Regional – OP
Providence Milwaukie Hosp- Oregon- AP
Madigan Army – MI
Methodist Hospital- Sacramento – AP
Union Hospital – Terre Haute, IN – AP
McLennan County- Waco, TX – AP
UNECOM/Eastern Maine—OP
Valley Medical Center – Renton, WA –AP
University of Colorado- Swedish Med Ctr—AP
Scottsdale-Osborne, Scottsdale, AZ—AP x 2
Ft. Worth, TX
Brackenridge Hosp-Austin, TX – AP
Banner Good Samaritan—Phoenix – AP x 2
Family Medicine Spokane—AP
McKay- Dee, Ogden, UT – AP
Phoenix Baptist Hospital – AP
Community Hospitals of Indianapolis – AP
Family Medicine of SW Washington—AP
MWU/Kingman Medical Center—OP
Univ of Colorado- Rose Hospital – AP
Idaho State University—AP
White Memorial- Los Angeles—AP
John C Lincoln – Phoenix, AZ – OP
Naval Hospital Jacksonville, FL – MI
University of Utah – AP
Duke University- Durham, NC – AP
Maine- Dartmouth FP residency—AP
University of Colorado at Denver – AP
Providence- St. Peter Hosp—Olympia, WA – AP
Scott AFB – MI
Qunicy Family Practice Center—IL-- AP

GENERAL SURGERY
St. Vincent’s- New York, NY – AP
University of Kansas-- AP

INTERNAL MEDICINE
University of Texas- AP
TUCOM/Valley Hosp- Las Vegas ---OP
Banner Good Samaritan- Phoenix –AP x 4
Loma Linda Univ—AP
Mount Clemens, MI – OP
St. Vincents Hospital- New York, NY – AP
Providence- St. Vincent, Portland, OR – AP
University of Minnesota—AP
Wright Patterson AFB – MI
Univ. of South Florida- Tampa – AP
University of Missouri- Kansas City – AP
University of Southern California – AP
Loyola Univ- AP
Mayo Clinic- Scottsdale, AZ – AP
NYCOM/Nassau Univ—OP
Internal Medicine Spokane – AP
Bethesda Naval Hospital – MI
CCOM/Sierra Vista- Sierra Vista, AZ -- OP

INTERNAL MEDICINE/EMERGENCY MEDICINE
St. James Med Ctr- Olympia Fields, IL—OP
Ohio Valley Med Center—Wheeling, WV -- OP

INTERNAL MEDICINE/PEDIATRICS
Hershey Medical Center--AP

NEUROLOGY
University of Minnesota—AP

OB/GYN
University of Nevada—AP
Akron General/ NEOUCOM- AP
Banner Good Samaritan--Phoenix—AP
Naval Hospital- Portsmouth, NH – MI
New York Downtown Hospital- AP

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY
OSUCOM/St. Anthony—Oklahoma City—OP
OUCOM/St Vincent- Toledo, OH – OP
Madigan Army – MI
William Beaumont—MI
St. Vincent Mercy- Toledo, OH --OP

PATHOLOGY
University of Louisville – AP
University of Iowa--AP

PEDIATRICS
University of Iowa- AP
Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte—AP
Wilford Hall—MI
University of Arizona—AP
University of Colorado at Denver—AP
St. Joseph Hospital – Phoenix –AP
Madigan Army – MI
Loma Linda Univ—AP
Phoenix Childrens Hospital – AP
University of Texas Galveston—AP
UCSF- Fresno – AP
University of Toledo-- AP

PM & R
University Hospital- Columbia, MO---AP
UT Southwestern – Dallas, TX – AP
UC Davis Medical Center—Sacramento—AP
Kingsbrook Jewish- Brooklyn -- AP

PSYCHIATRY
Good Samaritan Hosp- Phoenix—AP
Wilford Hall – MI
Maricopa Medical Center- Phoenix-- AP

RADIOLOGY
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital ---OP
Tripler Army—MI
Sacred Heart Med Ctr- Spokane --AP

TRADITIONAL ROTATING
NSUCOM- Hialeah, FL -- OP
William Beaumont – MI
TUCOM- Valley Hosp- Las Vegas, NV – OP
Huron Valley- Sinai, MI-- OP

UROLOGY
MSUCOM- East Lansing, MI -- OP

:laugh: I wonder if Dr Cox works there

Here's DMU's list for this year:

http://www.dmu.edu/com/residencies/MatchSpecialty2008.cfm

Didn't have a chance to look at it too much but it looks pretty strong.

As the self proclaimed matchlist grand wizard, I give DMU a rating of "not bad", it had a good showing in ortho, OBGYN, EM, G surg, but a heck of a lot of Family med (not that there is anything wrong with that) and I would have liked to know more about what the military and rotating internship guys went into.

I'm so happy to have found this!!! I've been waiting so long. Thank to imyourbob on livejournal (I forgot what you SDN name is but I have to say I'm a fan of your livejournal)
Touro Mare Island 2008 match list (partial)
http://www.tugsa.net/2008TouroMatchList.pdf

I think more important than the match lists are the COMLEX / USMLE avg's & pass rates. I'm not sure the best way to find out that info as a pre-med, but match lists vary dramatically from year to year and have no direct correlation to board scores. Sure, ROAD specialties have higher scores, but not everyone with top grades and board scores picks a ROAD specialty.
At least board pass rates / avg's give some weak indication of didactics; it's not as if some schools groom their students to be stronger applicants for gas, rads, et al, and the match list would somehow indicate that...

Either way, it comes down to how bad you want it. Regardless of how good or bad a job your school does teaching yrs 1 & 2, everyone knows what's on boards vis a vis First Aid, BRS, etc...

Oh please, you know there is a heck of lot wrong with that!!!!

What the hell is wrong with FP? Everyone refers to the "$200,000 mistake", but FP is the shortest residency. Wouldn't any other specialty be a "$200,000 mistake"? (Ok, I know IM is 3 years and some ALLOPATHIC EM are 3 years, but still). And, FP can make as much or even more than many other specialties, depending on where they work, work less than most other specialties, don't have to take call because they just tell their patients to go to the local ER (believe me, I'll be thanking them for that). On top of that, there are so many situations for FPs to get loan forgiveness opportunities because this country is desperate for primary care, which is beneficial to most of us Osteopaths, since like 80% of us go to overpriced private schools. What makes FP so bad? Is it because everyone who wants it gets it? Would FP not be looked down upon if they all filled every year, and people were stabbing each other in the back to get it like other specialties?

Everyone on this thread is so hung up on being impressed by certain school's match lists. Bear in mind, that most of our schools PUSH primary care. They tell us when we're applying that "D.O.s are in every specialty, and you can do allopathic or osteopathic residency. The world is your oyster. Blah blah blah." Then you get to school, and its FP this, FP that. And you know what, people listen.

And all you first through 3rd years on here, you'll see, it changes every year. Last year, gas was the hot specialty for my school. Now it's EM and PM&R. Fields that were once percieved as "easy to get". I spoke to an anesthesiologist attending once who told me he is still unhappy he didn't get IM like 25 years ago. I was like, "Well, in hind sight, didn't it all work out?" He said yeah, but he's still not happy. And that was when all you needed was a pulse to get gas. And it was that way until like 10 years ago, maybe less. Now it's part of the ROAD to happiness.

The big talk at my school right now is about a certain person who got a certain residency at a certain hospital (I won't say who, what or where, in order to protect the identity of the innocent). And I am very happy for them, because they will be doing what they want to do, and they worked very, very hard for that spot. At the same time, if someone came up to me and said "You can have this very competitive spot at this very competitive hospital, and it's all yours, just sign here." I would say no in about 0.01 seconds, because that field bores me to death. All I can say is just worry about your self, and what you do. You want a direct match into an interventional radiology program, go for it. And when you look down upon the FP who send you his patient and sit there all high and mighty because you are smarter than him or make more money than him, or got a more competitive residency than him, go right ahead. But he/she chose FP because it makes them happy. Will you do the same when you get your very "impressive" residency?

Just rememeber, you went to a D.O. school, and no matter where you do your residency, you will be a D.O. And I, just like many other people in my class, and possibly most of yourselves, went to a D.O. school because M.D. schools wouldn't take you. So, when you're treating your neighborhood FP like a second class citizen, just remember what your M.D. collegues think about you, whether they will admit it or not.

I think you mean our colleagues will be seeing that we're quite the superstars. And yes, there's nothing wrong with FP. We do need more GP's graduating from U.S. med schools.

Drawing Dead,

You went from valid point to self righteous pr!ck in about half a second flat. Good way to discredit any validity with the final tag-on there. The DO comments were completely unfounded and not needed in any way to prove your point. I don't know where you get the idea that family practice never has call either. Most ERs I've been in will call the doc in to see their patient. I agree there is nothing wrong with family practice, but some of your reasons are a little off keel. We all know that it goes in trends what is popular, but internal medicine was never ungodly hard to get. (Good programs yes, but any ol' program no)

....Most ERs I've been in will call the doc in to see their patient....

A lot of FPs aren't doing inpatient anymore. Hospitalists are admitting the patients and treating them. Which means a lot of FPs don't take call anymore. In some areas, FP can also be pretty lucrative (generally more rural areas with fewer specialists) because they do a lot of procedures-- that's still where the money is.

I do agree, though, that the parting remark was a little uncalled for. It makes too many assumptions and is a little over-the-top.

Why? I'm going to be a D.O. in 3 weeks. I can't say that? If you don't believe that, then you are being very ignorant. Why do you think there are all these debates recently about changing our letters to stupid things like MDO, MD/DO, DOM and all that other crap? How many times have you been asked "What is osteopathic medicine?" Or, has anyone been lucky enough to be asked "Why didn't you go to a real medical school?" like I got once?

Anyway, my point is, looking down upon someone because they didn't get a more competitive residency than you, or someone you know, or whatever is just as bad as the people who look at us as second rate doctors because we are not M.D.s.

And as far as the "superstar" comment, that's just sad. But really, keep me posted on how you do with that. I can't wait to tell everyone I knew you before you were famous. To paraphrase James Caan in the Program: "When was the last time you saw 80,000 people watch a science experiment?"

when you're treating your neighborhood FP like a second class citizen, just remember what your M.D. collegues think about you, whether they will admit it or not.

I don't give a crap what you or ANYONE else, DO or MD, thinks about me. I am not insecure like that. I love being a DO. As the first and only DO resident at a top General Surgery program since the 1950s, when program first started, what I know is that I did it as a DO, something most MDs from top institutions couldn't do. Trust me, the last thing I worry about in my life is what an MD thinks about me. As far as FM goes, don't get your panties in a jam. Some of my most important mentors and people responsible for my success, especially coming from a DO school, have been family medicine docs. For the sake of the profession, don't be so insecure in your degree and your specialty.

I'm not disagreeing with that. There will be specific residencies that have good connections to particular schools. I'm saying that the loads of people worshipping school X because it has 7 people going here and 4 there and 3 over there....is pretty much useless. All the talk about school Y is kicking everyone's butt because they have blah blah blah is silly. EVERY school has people going to good residencies. Still, though, it doesn't matter how many people from your school before you have done well at Z residency. It WILL probably increase your chances at getting an interview, but it WON'T increase your chance at getting on their ranklist unless you are a consistent performer who has worked rather hard on his or her own.

Yes can't agree more..it would be delusional to think that some school's strong connections can trump poor letters, board scores, grades blah blah..but if you do have decent stats and letters sure the connections can boost your chances but in no shape or form will get you a seat because your school always sent out their students to a certain program. In addition, the bond you form with a program during an audition rotation will always be more advantageous than the fact that you happen to go to a school that's within a 5 mile radius to a great program...that's like me hoping to be a celebrity because i live in hollywood..huh dreamers