Is it worth delaying DO applicationg for DO shadowing rec letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so for one of my secondaries, I have to list the MD/DO rec letter. I won't be getting the DO rec till Sept/Oct. Would it be worth delaying my app until I get the DO rec letter?

I already have a MD rec letter. And I have shadowed a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. Having a DO LOR will always help, but not having one won't hurt.

You can always submit one later in the cycle.
Thank you @Goro. This is actually for my secondary. The secondary asks me to list the MD/DO I will obtain a rec letter from. Should I list the DO rec letter now and submit? I won't have the rec until 1 month or so. And honestly, not sure if it will be better than my MD rec. I scribed for the MD for years.

But I'm currently shadowing a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @Goro. This is actually for my secondary. The secondary asks me to list the MD/DO I will obtain a rec letter from. Should I list the DO rec letter now and submit? I won't have the rec until 1 month or so. And honestly, not sure if it will be better than my MD rec. I scribed for the MD for years.

But I'm currently shadowing a DO.
Yes, go ahead and list it

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, go ahead and list it
so u would recommend getting the DO rec letter from someone I shadowed recently over the MD rec letter for someone whom I shadowed and knew for years?
I already have the MD rec submitted.

Last edited:
I didn't get a letter from the DO I shadowed bc I'd spent more time as a scribe with another doc. However I was able to discuss "the DO difference" at length in my essays due to my time shadowing the DO and I believe it was received well. I straight up asked him what "the DO difference" was and he explained very nicely.

Aren’t there DO schools that require a DO rec letter?
Yes, definitely. ARCOM in Arkansas for example. From their website (bolding for emphasis is theirs, directly from their website): Letter of Recommendation from a DO. A letter from an MD CANNOT be accepted in lieu of a DO letter.

Reactions: 1 user