DO/JD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RockandRolldoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just a first year and am far from set on future plans, but I have recently been exploring the possibility of going to law school after med school. I have a lot of passion with what I'm doing, but I also love the idea of arguing in a court room and defending my colleagues and my profession. I want to practice medicine and have a decent patient load, but also defend physicians in malpractice cases, go after the sharks (scuzzy malpractice attourney's that call themselves professionals), and go after insurance companies that screw doctors and patients they are supposed to be taking care of. I know that there are a few guys out there who practice law and have a medical practice as well. I'd like to make it about 50/50 ideally. Is there anyone else out there who is thinking about the possible double career?

Members don't see this ad.

I am. I have been a paralegal for the past 4 years (during medical school), doing medmal defense work... and have thought about pursuing a JD...

I am more interested in risk management though, not the actual courtroom work.

Thankfully, Emergency Medicine (which is what I'm applying for... and will find out in two months if I get in), affords a great lifestyle and the ability to pursue any career choices...

I know a MD/JD who is EM trained as well as does some risk management stuff... awesome.
Q

I have a strong interest in law as well.
I listed a great site to check out below.
It can give you a heads up as to what to expect.

MD/JD

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that UMDNJSOM offers a DO/JD program. At least I heard a buzz about it a few years back.

Originally posted by JPHazelton
I believe that UMDNJSOM offers a DO/JD program. At least I heard a buzz about it a few years back.
JP is correct again...as usual... what else is new...;)

Go me...go me...go me

Thanks for all the responses, I am currently enrolled at NOVA and they are talking about doing a DO/JD program. The thing is that if I were to eventually go to law school, I'd want to go to a good law school in the first tier. Let's face it, law school isn't like medical school... you can get a law degree at night school. I'm not really big into the name recognition in itself, but in law, school connections mean everything.. big name schools bring the best opportunities. In medicine, there are plenty of great opportunities to be had. I wouldn't want to be the lawyer from the simpsons (name?) with the business cards that turn into sponges when you get them wet.
I am still uncertain about doing the law thing though, does anyone know of anybody who practices both medicine and law together? I'm interested in how these guys balance their careers and lives.