Do IM residencies require an IM sub-i?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruitmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried looking all over for the answer to this question, but in my noobness can't seem to find the answer. I'm an IMG M4 who's planning to apply for IM in the next cycle, but am having trouble securing an IM sub-i (my school does not offer it). Do basically all IM residency programs require an IM sub-i of its applicants for consideration? It looks like programs can still interview applicants before they have completed an already secured internal sub-i, but what about if they don't have an internal sub-i at all? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely have one.
Check VSAS

I tried looking all over for the answer to this question, but in my noobness can't seem to find the answer. I'm an IMG M4 who's planning to apply for IM in the next cycle, but am having trouble securing an IM sub-i (my school does not offer it). Do basically all IM residency programs require an IM sub-i of its applicants for consideration? It looks like programs can still interview applicants before they have completed an already secured internal sub-i, but what about if they don't have an internal sub-i at all? Thanks
I didn't do a subI and still got a sufficient number of interviews at application time. I think only about a third of the people in my class applying for IM (of about 30)actually did a subI. Its not required but may help at a program you're highly interested in.