Do I need to tell my program director if I am getting LASIK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellygreen2001

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am a junior radiology resident. I am planning on LASIKs done on both of my eyes in the next couple of months. Do I have to tell my program director/ask permission before I get this done. Is getting LASIK done frowned upon by radiologists and there any reasons why I shouldn't get done.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I am a junior radiology resident. I am planning on LASIKs done on both of my eyes in the next couple of months. Do I have to tell my program director/ask permission before I get this done. Is getting LASIK done frowned upon by radiologists and there any reasons why I shouldn't get done.

thanks

Umm...yes??

I'm not some anti-LASIK crusader. In fact, I've had LASIK myself, and I can say that it was one of the best decisions of my life, but only because things worked out. I can say that because I'm 10 years out from the procedure, have had no complications, and still have 20/15 vision.

I also had the procedure when I was a single, pre-clinical medical student with no children and long before I had decided upon radiology as a career. Chances are that everything will go fine for you, but remember that a good outcome =/= a good decision. I look back on my decision as reckless and short-sighted (pun intended).

Strictly speaking, I don't think you're required to disclose anything health-related unless it becomes an academic issue (i.e. a medical condition affecting performance and development). Prospectively, there's little reason to think that an elective surgical procedure fits that billing, but it has the potential to. You'll have to gauge how your PD will react if you have to tell him or her ex post facto that you're having a LASIK-related complication that is impacting your performance.

By the way, the advice I give to fellow radiologists regarding LASIK is appreciably different than what I say to the general public or even other non-radiologist physicians. I don't advise against LASIK because you'll go blind, but because - as radiologists - we are (relatively) uniquely affected by subtle changes in our vision. A radiologist in a reading room is likely to be disproportionately impacted by night halos as compared to, say, a surgeon in a brightly lit OR.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
would you advise getting lasik during intern year? and if so would it be necessary to talk to my rads PD

would you advise getting lasik during intern year? and if so would it be necessary to talk to my rads PD

What about during fourth year of medical school? How long do the halos and other negative effects last usually?

I had LASIK in the 3rd year of medical school. I don't regret it. I had bilateral mild nearsightedness combined with moderate bilateral astigmatism. Because of the astigmatism, I couldn't tolerate contacts well. Glasses were fine but I didn't like wearing them for activities.

After the procedure, I had some halos, mostly during night driving, which resolved over weeks to months. I also had dry eyes that were worst in the first six months that got progressively better over time. For 6 months I used drops frequently (4+ times a day), then a couple of times a day, and now rarely. Overall, my visual quality now is substantially better than my prior corrected vision. I sometimes get halos or visual effects related to dry eyes which are transient and related to dry eyes. This is resolved with drops or blinking more.

The whole thing about night vision and halos is a little overblown. Put on your glasses, drive down the street at night and look up and stare at the street lamps. Do you see halos and linear streaky reflections radiating out from the light? Probably. Dry eyes as well. Wear your contacts and stare at a PACS monitor for 12 hours and tell me if your eyes are dry. Contacts and glasses don't perfectly correct vision either. They are just (mostly) reversible. Some complications of contacts (severe infection, etc) can have permanent effects as well.

That said, there are complications related to LASIK and you need to be aware of them prior to getting it. I know of at least 5-6 residents in my program who have had it at some point, at least one during residency. It's all about how much risk you can tolerate in your life. The truly bad outcomes are quite uncommon, but read about it and decide for yourself. Then when you decide to get it have the best available person who has done the maximum amount of procedures.

Oh, and I would not bother telling your PD if you decide to do it. I could be out for weeks if I have complications from a vasectomy but I wouldn't tell him about that either.