Do I need to retake physics, if I took it in 2008 with an A?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peregrino

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, a quick question. I last took physics "for scientitsts and engineers" with laboratory (and with calculus) in 2008 and got an A. After taking that physics course, I took a more advanced one and got a B (that school did ot give out + / - grades).

I have the option of retaking physics (with calculus) again, but geared toward the life sciences. I have contacted some local medical schools about whether I need to repeat, but I tend to get referred to their websites for the requirements, most of which state that two semesters or three quarters of physics with lab are needed. Most schools do not list a time frame or expiration for coursework, unlike the MCAT which tends to be within 3 years. I know that Goro's advice is not to repeat previous coursework, but I also some medical schools want recent coursework (within 7 years).

What do you suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you already completed physics with lab and the school doesn't explicitly call out an expiration for the prereq, I wouldn't recommend retaking. If you want to demonstrate that you havent gotten rusty or academically complacent, you'd probably be better off taking upper division biology classes that are similar to content that would appear in the medical school curriculum.

If the schools you’re targeting don’t explicitly state that you need to have your prerequisites done within X years of matriculation, then you’re fine. Save your money and time and don’t retake physics.

I applied in 2019 and got into several medical schools having had bio + lab , English, and social sciences in the 2003-2005 timeframe.

A good MCAT score will go a long way in quelling any concerns about the recency of your prerequisites.

If you’ve contacted schools and asked if you’re pre req expires, it seems you already have the best answer. One more consideration is how comfortable you’ll be doing MCAT physics, if you haven’t taken the MCAT yet.