General Do I Need to Report High School IAs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
One of the schools I am accepted to has asked about any IAs I received in both college and high school. I'm bummed to think that something stupid I did when I was 15 could negatively impact all the hard work I've put in. How should I respond?

Members don't see this ad.

Not legal advice.

I have not heard about any graduate programs that will ask for institutional actions taken during high school, nor do I recall the instructions soliciting such information (it refers to post-secondary records and infers post-secondary periods of education).

If the infraction is associated with receiving a criminal charge, then you may want to check about what the rules are regarding your juvenile status and reporting these charges.

We have a lot of applicants who are career changers or have taken gap years. In spite of the fear we instill about a high school "permanent record," I don't recall ever asking for it because of the legal status of juveniles.

If this is an incident that you feel is very important for your learning community, you need to consider under what circumstances you would disclose this.

Don't stray from the professionalism line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly this is so unusual that I almost suspect they are aware that it's a crazy requirement that is forced on them by the university. Transparency goes both ways, so I would just ask them directly if you really need to disclose something that was sealed from HS. Chances are they will say no, but if they say yes then you'll just disclose and I'm sure it still will not affect anything.

I cannot imagine this is going to be a problem for you, so just approach directly and professionally so you don't need to worry about this needlessly.

Honestly this is so unusual that I almost suspect they are aware that it's a crazy requirement that is forced on them by the university. Transparency goes both ways, so I would just ask them directly if you really need to disclose something that was sealed from HS. Chances are they will say no, but if they say yes then you'll just disclose and I'm sure it still will not affect anything.

I cannot imagine this is going to be a problem for you, so just approach directly and professionally so you don't need to worry about this needlessly.
Agree with above statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.