Do I need to explain old bad grades on my AMCAS primary application or will my post-bacc explain that for itself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vistian

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad applying this year and have been out of school from undergrad for about 15 years, in which case I have a 3.3 undergrad GPA with some C's, a few D's, and even 1 F.

In my post-bacc at UC Berkeley Extension that I just completed, I have a 4.0 (45 credits), as I applied myself once I decided to go into medicine.

My MCAT score is 517.

Does the post-bacc (and MCAT) speak for itself or do I need to address my bad grades from 15 years ago in my AMCAS primary application somewhere?

I know the secondaries usually have prompts, but my question is about the primary.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The post-bacc will speak for itself.

GPA as young college student no so good. GPA as mature person much better. Seen it a million times, not a mystery.
Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my case I had poor grades then a good upward trend in following years. I didn’t explain my poor grades on My primary but used the secondary question most schools ask “is there anything else/talk about a time you improved (or overcame a failure)” so that way I didn’t create any area for questioning where I couldn’t back it with ~here’s how I fixed it~. Just one option you have!

Reactions: 3 users
In my case I had poor grades then a good upward trend in following years. I didn’t explain my poor grades on My primary but used the secondary question most schools ask “is there anything else/talk about a time you improved (or overcame a failure)” so that way I didn’t create any area for questioning where I couldn’t back it with ~here’s how I fixed it~. Just one option you have!
Thank you for the reply. I think that's the way I'm gravitating.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are a “severe” reinventor there is no reason to mention anything, repeat anything in your AMCAS Concerning bad grades. At worst, depending on your overall record and everything else you mention it as a passing phrase (not even a sentence). And this depends on the theme of your personal statement. For example if your theme is growth or upward achievement You might reference in passing “my 3.9 post back GPA and 515 MCAT Reflect my true academic ability” But rarely, very rarely do you ever mention anything negative
Thank you for the reply. I'm thinking of just not mentioning it, staying positive, and letting the 4.0 post-bacc and 517 MCAT speak for itself.

Reactions: 1 user