Do I have to authorize release of USMLE score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderwoman1010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I took step 1 and didn't do so hot; I passed but not by a lot. I'm currently applying to residencies and ERAS has the option to authorize release of USMLE scores. I'm applying to ACGME programs but I wasn't going to send my scores to any places because I think they'll hurt me instead of help me, so do I still need to authorize their release on ERAS?

I can't figure out if I do authorize their release if programs can have access to my scores or if they only get access if I assign them to the specific programs?

Basically, I don't want to be in violation of match or be penalized in anyway if I don't authorize the score release but also don't want programs to see the score. Is there anyway to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

So I took step 1 and didn't do so hot; I passed but not by a lot. I'm currently applying to residencies and ERAS has the option to authorize release of USMLE scores. I'm applying to ACGME programs but I wasn't going to send my scores to any places because I think they'll hurt me instead of help me, so do I still need to authorize their release on ERAS?

I can't figure out if I do authorize their release if programs can have access to my scores or if they only get access if I assign them to the specific programs?

Basically, I don't want to be in violation of match or be penalized in anyway if I don't authorize the score release but also don't want programs to see the score. Is there anyway to do this?
It is my understanding that they don't see it if you don't assign it, and that not authorizing a release is indeed a match violation. So I would release and then not assign. Will ask @hallowmann to double check me on this.

It is my understanding that they don't see it if you don't assign it, and that not authorizing a release is indeed a match violation. So I would release and then not assign. Will ask @hallowmann to double check me on this.

Authorizing, but not assigning them seems to be the safest option. They will not see the scores if you don't assign it, simply that you took it. That said, some programs may explicitly ask about scores, in which case you need to tell them/should be truthful. Personally I am not completely aware as to the specifics for this year's ERAS, so the best people to ask are ERAS.

Anything that can be interpreted as a way of falsifying information on the application can potentially be a match violation, but if its not important enough to programs to have that info before they rank you (in which case they'd ask), then I doubt they'd go through the effort of pursuing a match waiver or violation unless something else is going on (i.e. you did something egregious that in and of itself would not be enough to pursue a match waiver/accuse you of match violation).

Remember that the commitment programs make to you (and that you make to them) is simply to take you for 45 day from July 1st. They (and you) could certainly decide not to renew or to terminate the contract after that period without any NRMP match issues/violations.

Reactions: 1 user