do i have any chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
graduated university with a BSc
uni average: 75%
high school average: 94%
no mcat

total volunteering: +1000 hrs
what ive done:
-im co-author of a 300+ pg medical textbook
-assisted angioplasty on rabbits
-published twice in the american college of cardiology,
-have worked at cardiac hospital for 5 years where i have shadowed open heart surgery, medical conferencing, clinic, interventional caridology, etc.
-worked in a lab for a summer where i performed gel electrophoresis, and pcr
-recently hired by a top researcher for this coming summer and possibly year if i dont get into medicine.
-I have volunteered at vet clinic for two years where i started clinical appointments, raised new born kittens, and shadowed surgery
-graduated high school with top honours and top five in my grade,
-have been a member of a provincial and nationally ranked competitive cheerleading team for 8 years.
-founder of my own food drive that was written up about in the Canadian Jewish Newspaper,
-orientation volunteer at unviersity for 3 years,
-senior editor of my high school year book which won an award from the publishers,
-went on a humanitarian computer aid project in kenya where we taught teachers to use computers and donated $20,000 of school supplies to an orphanage and school
-have tutored in spansih and calculus,
-speak french and spanish fluently,
-published and created 3 pediatric surgical guides for a hospital,
-leader in an anti-bullying campaign sponsored by the CFL,
-member of drama club
-spanish club member
-member of a mood disorders committee
-leadership award, ultiamte athlete and most imporved awards in cheerleading
-recipient of a national cheerleading scholarship for outstanding academics and athletics,
-went on a spansih exchange in costa rica,
-hospital volunteer in day surgery and emergency clinic
-traveling through asia this summer to learn about other cultures

Letters from:
- VP of my high school who was my chem teacher and went on my trip to Kenya (it was a school thing)
- 2 mentors in cardiology, very well respected at the hospital which is one of the top cardiac hospitals world wide (in fact, banting and best discvoered insulin there )
- academic mentor for over 10 years who has a son who graduated from Trinity, has a daughter and husband who are all physicians as well and wrote me a character reference

so basically, i had an outstanding high school GPA and a 76% in university, but i have a ton of experience
thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Once you write the MCAT and get whatever the equivalent to a ~28-30 is on the new one, I think you should have no problem getting one, if not multiple offers to schools in Ireland.

even though my gpa is really low?
people have told me off of here that my ECs, LofR, and passion have a chance of getting me accepted.
i also just graduated with a bachelors of science

Members don't see this ad :)
With a solid MCAT I don't see why you wouldn't have a shot. I'm sure there are people who have been accepted with a lower average. Ireland is a lot more hollistic than Ontario/Canada (not sure where you're applying from). I mean worst case you might be able to do the 6 year program based entirely on your high school average and EC's.

unfortuantely, ive graduated university and couldnt apply with my high school marks. i did submit them anyways in hopes that they'll look at them. i also mentioned them in my personal statement. i didnt apply with mcats though so im not sure if ill even be considered this round. but you are right, canada doesnt look at the whole person. i was told that a great letter and references can outweigh marks in ireland

What is your GPA a 75% is a 3.0? I would say if your GPA is really low it might be difficult to get into a 5 year program, but if you score really well on the MCAT you might be able to not only save a year but also get in. Score a 30+ and you'll have a good shot.

it sucks cuz id have gotten in no problem right out of high school. if i dont get in im going back to school to upgrade courses and take courses im more interested in to help my gpa and also show an upwards trend in my marks. im planning on taking health science courses.

Yeah with a 94% average and assuming your Bio and Chem are 90%+ along with some volunteering and some ECs you would have gotten in. The past is the past I guess at this point, you just have to try your best to get in now.

exactly. hopefully they see my potential. i doubt ill get in this time but once i write the mcat having taken physiology, ill probably do much better

exactly. hopefully they see my potential. i doubt ill get in this time but once i write the mcat having taken physiology, ill probably do much better

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but doing well in high school, and then doing (relatively) poorly at University doesn't really seem like something they'd see potential in considering they are on two different levels of difficulty. I think if you want to show potential, then you need to write the MCAT and do well on it. That would show schools that, despite a lacklustre GPA, you are quite capable of handling the material. Without the MCAT, they kinda are forced to gamble on you.

But that's just my opinion, I obviously am not an authority on the matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed, write the MCAT and show your potential.

High school is meaningless, now that you have university marks.

update on my application: I WAS WAITLISTED AT NUIG!!!!!!!!!!

it goes to show that marks arent the only thing they look at :D

it goes to show that marks arent the only thing they look at :D
Actually it goes to show you they are. Otherwise you would have been accepted lol.

That is the thing, with Atlantic Bridge, everyone is technically waitlisted until they are accepted. They don't usually like to give out rejections until the very end or maybe if you really have no chance.

That is the thing, with Atlantic Bridge, everyone is technically waitlisted until they are accepted. They don't usually like to give out rejections until the very end or maybe if you really have no chance.
When do they usually give out rejections or the "first round" of applications?

Somewhere from March to May is first round of application results, some schools release results earlier than others.

lol i found that out haha. then i got sad lol