Any Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DenaliView

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any chance of someone from the US making it into a UK med school honestly my stats are okay but not overly impressive (They will get me into US med school but not in a top tier) and I was wondering what the competition was like over there for a foreign student, the reason I would want to come over, I love the UK. I really would like to rellocate to London and with the health systems being fairly different I thought it might be easier to start off fthe UK system from the start, Any thoughts?
Thanks is advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

when i applied, initially, i thought it would be all about your academic performance. my grades are not so hot, hovering at 3.4GPA. then when i got my acceptance to the graduate entry at UCD, i quickly realised that they must have placed high enough emphasis on me as a person and not only as a student : extracurriculars, life experiences, work/volunteering etc. etc. and not the typical " i have volunteered at a hospital since i was 16 " or " i went to africa and dug a water hole ".

so. if you're confident with your application as a whole, and not only your gpa, then go for it. you'll hear great news.

more importantly ... can you afford it. i can't accept UCD because it'll cost me $350k for 4 years.

by the way, what are some of the "lower tier" med schools in US?
maybe I should apply.

As long as ur gpa is above a 3.2 you should be competitive, but you do need a lot of X-currics. My own gpa was 3.28 and there is one other person on this forum who got in with a 3.2 and both of us got into UCC. so take that as a hint? don't quote me on it, but i haven't seen a gpa such as mine being good for any of the other schools.
apply to UCC for sure! but make sure u have a lot of extracurriculars and leadership experiences(which will help you write a nice essay). don't apply to galway (just my advice, you cana apply and take a chance ofc), apparently this years cutoff was 3.7. UCD accepted my frend maserati at 3.4, but again his volunteering, leadership, community involvement made the difference. so in short...work at those extracurrics and apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.... are u guy serious? That makes me so excited. I excel at the extra-circulars and my GPA is no too bad (3.5 ish) but I had a few years in early college Pre-Pre-Med that I really took some terrible grades. Do u think there are spots available for a U.S. Student within your schools. I would really love to live in London and go to school.

As for lower tierd schools I would suggest doing a search on the US School rankings because everyone has their own opinion but usually Mercer,
northeastern ohio, and east tennessee are all ranked lower. No offense to anyone currently there...just the statistic I found :oops:. Thanks for all your help to those who responded!

Wow.... are u guy serious? That makes me so excited. I excel at the extra-circulars and my GPA is no too bad (3.5 ish) but I had a few years in early college Pre-Pre-Med that I really took some terrible grades. Do u think there are spots available for a U.S. Student within your schools. I would really love to live in London and go to school.

The deadlines for admission in 2007 will be in mid-November. Check out the Atlantic Bridge program for details at http://www.atlanticbridge.com/ for details. Just a note though; these programs are in Ireland.
UCC is University College Cork, located in Cork, Ireland
UCD is University College Dublin, located in Dublin, Ireland
So, unfortunately no one has answered your original question about studying in the UK and specifically about applying to one of the London schools. I don't know much about them, but hopefully someone will give you some information about them. I do know that the UK schools don't use foreign students to pay the rent like the Irish schools do, so they are a little choosier. You might have a chance though, particularly if your GPA busting marks are in the past and in courses that are irrelevant to your application; generally schools look at more recent efforts. Search these forums for more specific information on Imperial College and others in the UK. Cheers,
M

Last edited: