Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mbelli

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Below I have attached my stats for this upcoming cycle. I’m worried about my analytical score (essay) on the GRE.

School: University of California Davis
Overall GPA : 3.896
Pre req GPA: 4.0
GRE(new 340 scale) -> Quant: 162 Verbal: 154 Analytical Writing: 3.0
Hours : 350 outpatient 125 inpatient
Experience: NASM CPT, several years of coaching, tutoring. Worked at UCSF medical center. Substitute teacher for a year.

My main concern is my analytic score. I just cannot write essays on the fly, with pressure on time. I know a lot of schools I am applying to say a REQUIRED score of around 3.5 or 4.0 for that section. I’m worried that my application will immediately go into the trash due to that low score. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! Below I have attached my stats for this upcoming cycle. I’m worried about my analytical score (essay) on the GRE.

Experience: NASM CPT, several years of coaching, tutoring. Worked at UCSF medical center. Substitute teacher for a year.

My main concern is my analytic score. I just cannot write essays on the fly, with pressure on time. I know a lot of schools I am applying to say a REQUIRED score of around 3.5 or 4.0 for that section. I’m worried that my application will immediately go into the trash due to that low score. What do you guys think?
I can't speak for other schools, but my school required a minimum of 3.5
If that is a school's requirement, it is likely a human being from that college won't ever see your app. They electronically filter out apps that don't meet the requirements.

There is an actual formula for writing those essays. Kaplan has it. I am an older student, so i remembered literally nothing about writing essays. But if you follow the formula, there is little thinking involved, it works with any topic they give you. I was getting steady 4s on mine. I would sit at home and time myself and follow the layout it suppose to have. They care about the structure, spelling and lastly if it makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your stats are above normal so you will be fine if the schools doesn’t state a AW score. Just check out the California PTCAS directory page and it will tell you. I know my schools SDSU requires a 4. But ETS actually offers a writing prep called score it now for like $20. It allows you to practice writing two essays that they grade and they basically tutor you. And they give you the rubric on how they grade the essays which include word count and what not.

A lot of schools only require a 3 on the analytical at least all the ones I applied to.
Some schools don’t even have a minimum requirement, so I would just apply to those type of schools. Your stats are pretty good so I wouldn’t worry much about it.