This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YAM313

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
sciGPA 2.76, overall GPA 3.18 - Upward trend since freshman year. Over 300 hours of shadowing/assisting, working, Dental club board member at our school, a lot of community service etc. Deans list last two semesters of senior year.

DAT: AA 17, Bio 19, RC 19, GC 17, OC 14, PAT 16, QR 14. It was rushed and I wasn't ready- retaking July 22nd.

Submitted AADSAS two weeks ago, a few secondaries this week

Accepted into MWU AZ one year MABS masters program to help my stats. Moving down there from Indiana

Took a leap of faith and applied broad. Given that I kill the DAT and the masters program, what are my chances looking like?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So you're applying this cycle and doing the masters program in your gap year? I would think dental schools would want to see the results of that masters program before they offer an acceptance, no?

As far as the DAT, how long have you been preparing for the retake?

Reactions: 1 users
Get a 20+ DAT and 3.7+ GPA in your Masters and you'll get in somewhere. You're gonna want to have at least 1 semester of good grades in your masters before you apply. Apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would personally hold off on applying this cycle. You should focus on the DAT and increasing your GPA, especially sGPA.

So you're applying this cycle and doing the masters program in your gap year? I would think dental schools would want to see the results of that masters program before they offer an acceptance, no?

As far as the DAT, how long have you been preparing for the retake?

Get a 20+ DAT and 3.7+ GPA in your Masters and you'll get in somewhere. You're gonna want to have at least 1 semester of good grades in your masters before you apply. Apply broadly.

I believe you send the schools your quarterly reports while you're in the masters program. They will see that I'm enrolled in one currently. MWU also has a guaranteed interview so I am banking on that as well.

As far as DAT prep goes, I did feralis for bio, and I'm using bootcamp and Crack Dat for tests. I really struggled in the math section, so doing everything in my capability to score at least a 17 or above so I've been doing destroyer.

I would personally hold off on applying this cycle. You should focus on the DAT and increasing your GPA, especially sGPA.

I figured doing MWU's masters would be my best choice of increasing my GPA. 45 sem hrs of science classes

As long as you ace your masters program and, I'd say, get a 21+ on the DAT, you should have a shot at a few schools. Again, they look at more than just GPA and DAT and i think you're strong in other areas.