Do I even have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHLTN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just want to give some background first:

I'm a black male that graduated from undergrad about 2 years ago, and I started as a premed student. I was the typical naive premed Freshman that was in school for a Biology degree. I took Organic Chem. a total of 5 times(OChem l- 3 times (C), OChem(W)), I also made an F in Genetics both times I took it, an F in Micro., a C in Phys. l, and I didn't take Phys. ll or BioChem.

I was working a job that paid a lot of money while in school, and my focus became about working and making money versus my grades. In an effort to make more money, I switched majors ,so I would have more time to make money, and so that I would graduate on time. I was also struggling with my sexuality all throughout college. and it caused me to go into a depression that counseling did not seem to help.

Looking back on the time I wasted and the bad decisions I made, I have realized that I should have invested more in my studies than that job. I also relaized that I would like to persue Med School again now that I have been out of the "college bubble".

I would like an honest opinion on whether I should even give Med School another chance or not.

Please don't hold back. I can handle the criticism and honesty. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that these days it's difficult to truly have no chance. You can always do a post-bacc and prove yourself and rock the MCAT. Easier said than done but it's not impossible.

Reactions: 1 user
Oof. Have you read Goro’s Guide to Reinvention? I don’t know how to link on an iPad so just search for that and give it a read.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oof. Have you read Goro’s Guide to Reinvention? I don’t know how to link on an iPad so just search for that and give it a read.
No, I have never heard of it. I will do some looking for it!! If you do find it, please link!

No, I have never heard of it. I will do some looking for it.

THANK YOU!

Agreed with above. Give the reinvention guide a look. You must prove that you can handle medical school through post-bacc courses.

You can do it. Push yourself.

I'm not in precisely your situation but I was also focused on work during undergrad and am also LGBTQIA. Keep your chin up! Find out how you perform under more optimal conditions, ie not worrying as much about finances or struggling with tough identity questions and work from there.