DO discrimination

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks but what can yah do lol.

My mom is the worst about it. She said that DO schools are for people who couldn't cut it In real medical school and that for the rest of my life I will be treated like a second class doctor, always overshadowed by my brother. Unfortunately, looking at peoples actions around me at my school, I actually see that as a possibility. That's why I am going to leave my state once I'm done with undergrad.

Florida here I come, lets make magic together NOVA Med school!

Dude I'm just gonna be straight with you here.

With a due respect (to you, not your mother), she has no idea what the hell she's talking about. She's living 2, 3 or 4 decades in the past. From this point on I would not consider her a reliable source of information. I'm sure you hate me for saying that about a family member but it's the truth.

It's your life, not your family's. They each get their own life to worry about; you worry about yours.

And if I were you, I'd make damn sure to be twice the doctor anyone else in my family is just to prove a point.

Members don't see this ad.

With a due respect (to you, not your mother), she has no idea what the hell she's talking about. She's living 2, 3 or 4 decades in the past. From this point on I would not consider her a reliable source of information. I'm sure you hate me for saying that about a family member but it's the truth.

It's your life, not your family's. They each get their own life to worry about; you worry about yours.

And if I were you, I'd make damn sure to be twice the doctor anyone else in my family is just to prove a point.

I agree with you here. But I just wanted to point out the irony in a discussion which includes arguments of "Normal people don't care, its only pre-meds" in the same line of discussion that rebukes a "normal person" for the viewpoint they apparently don't have :confused:

I agree with you here. But I just wanted to point out the irony in a discussion which includes arguments of "Normal people don't care, its only pre-meds" in the same line of discussion that rebukes a "normal person" for the viewpoint they apparently don't have :confused:

I think his mother is more educated about the whole process because his brother is an MD.

Members don't see this ad :)

It just sucks because no matter what specialty I go into, ill never be good enough because I didn't get the MD. Ill always be know as the guy who took the back road and the easy way out to get into medical school.

But to me, haters gonna hate. As long as I get to be a physician, whatever Med school in the US takes me ill go to. Just please make sure there are enough residencies for me to match into. Don't wanna be 300k in debt with no job.like pod school

But that's a whole other set of issues.

It just sucks because no matter what specialty I go into, ill never be good enough because I didn't get the MD. Ill always be know as the guy who took the back road and the easy way out to get into medical school.

But to me, haters gonna hate. As long as I get to be a physician, whatever Med school in the US takes me ill go to. Just please make sure there are enough residencies for me to match into. Don't wanna be 300k in debt with no job.like pod school

But that's a whole other set of issues.

See that post makes it sound like you're doing it for your family, not for yourself. If you were given up at birth and grew up in a different family, would you still be looking at medicine? It's a long road bro, don't do it if it's for your family.

Now, if the answer to the above question is yes, then who cares if you're "good enough" for your parents? If they don't approve, they aren't good enough for you. Some parents are never going to be happy, no matter what you do. All you can do is say "F*** it" and do what makes you happy and leave them in the dust.

Your parents should have absolutely none, no, zip, nadda, zilch say in where you go to med school (unless they're paying!) or, for that matter, what you do with your life. One day you're gonna be a grown ass man/woman and they aren't going to be around anymore. Make sure you're where you want to be.

If you want to go be a freakin naturopath veterinarian who works exclusively on newts and salamanders then do it. Screw them or anyone who tells you you're not good enough.

OK, rant over! Point being; do this for the right reasons. Parental approval is not a "right reason."

PS yes I have an emotional opinion on this...my mother's the same freakin way.

See that post makes it sound like you're doing it for your family, not for yourself. If you were given up at birth and grew up in a different family, would you still be looking at medicine? It's a long road bro, don't do it if it's for your family.

Now, if the answer to the above question is yes, then who cares if you're "good enough" for your parents? If they don't approve, they aren't good enough for you. Some parents are never going to be happy, no matter what you do. All you can do is say "F*** it" and do what makes you happy and leave them in the dust.

Your parents should have absolutely none, no, zip, nadda, zilch say in where you go to med school (unless they're paying!) or, for that matter, what you do with your life. One day you're gonna be a grown ass man/woman and they aren't going to be around anymore. Make sure you're where you want to be.

If you want to go be a freakin naturopath veterinarian who works exclusively on newts and salamanders then do it. Screw them or anyone who tells you you're not good enough.

OK, rant over! Point being; do this for the right reasons. Parental approval is not a "right reason."

Well, I grew up around a family of doctors. I see the lifestyles they live and the work that they do and I want to do that. I want to become (a bit premature really) a orthopedic surgeon. I know that MD gives me the opprotunitty to do that, I Aldo know that the DO path gives me a chance to do that. If carribean gave me a chance to do that then I would go to carribean but from what it looks like on SND that is a no.

I just want to be a physician. I don't care what path takes me there.

Funny side note, my mom wants me to be a dentist before going to DO school.

Are your parents physicians? I'm guessing not or this would be a moot point. I do think there is some cultural bias going on here, however.

Mine? Nope, they aren't.

I see where you're coming from with the cultural thing. I think it's fairly obvious that his/her family is not the same heritage as mine but I it's not bias so much as a different point of view.

Well, I grew up around a family of doctors. I see the lifestyles they live and the work that they do and I want to do that. I want to become (a bit premature really) a orthopedic surgeon. I know that MD gives me the opprotunitty to do that, I Aldo know that the DO path gives me a chance to do that. If carribean gave me a chance to do that then I would go to carribean but from what it looks like on SND that is a no.

I just want to be a physician. I don't care what path takes me there.

Well then good luck to you (seriously). I hope it works out. But being a dentist and a DO might take a long long time!

Another funny side note: My mom thought I was going to be an optometrist (OD...DO) for like 3 months and was grumpy as hell to me. Once I found out and corrected her she was like "ohhh!! I'm so happy!" lol...parents....

I want to become (a bit premature really) a orthopedic surgeon.

Tough to get from the MD path, near impossible from DO. Sorry.

From a financial perspective, that actually makes sense. Dentists have an easier time than primary care docs (which is what you would most likely have to do as a DO).

Tough to get from the MD path, near impossible from DO. Sorry.

From a financial perspective, that actually makes sense. Dentists have an easier time than primary care docs (which is what you would most likely have to do as a DO).
Why "near impossible"? My school (TUCOM-CA) has had at least 2-3 grads match ortho consistently every year in the last five years... all AOA.

And this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813819 shows that last year, 3.53% of U.S. MD grads match ortho vs 2.53% DO grads... not that much difference imo.

jumping to absolutes again. (smh). of course some people care, and the degree of such varies according to geography. all-in-all, there is relatively more concern amongst students, generally speaking.

but man, you really just like to stir $hit up don't you. just curious as to why you spend so much time on the osteo forums...

I don't think the public has any idea what it takes to get into medical school. However, I think the medical community, especially MDs, assumes this to be true. No one really cares, though. No one has treated me any different than the MD students I've rotated with and DO attendings get treated with the same respect as MD attendings.

I think the only 'bad' part about the DO degree is that it is tougher to get a 'good' ACGME residency, but after that it doesn't really matter. Fellowships just care where you did you residency and employers just care if you are competent. You'll be a physician, you'll get a residency somewhere in the US, and you'll make >=$180k a year.

If you're interested in family medicine, pysch, PM&R, peds, emergency medicine, ob/gyn, internal medicine, anesthesia, pathology, neurology, general surgery (AOA), orthopedic surgery (AOA), and (maybe) radiology, then you should be fine as a DO.

This is a great answer, thank you for your comments. Very informative, realistic and seemingly objective.

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup:

Tough to get from the MD path, near impossible from DO. Sorry. From a financial perspective, that actually makes sense. Dentists have an easier time than primary care docs (which is what you would most likely have to do as a DO).

ACGME ortho, definitely close to impossible... AOA still tough but without a doubt within reach.

Not so sure about the second response though, although it is true in some cases.

http://www1.salary.com/Physician-Family-Practice-Salary.html
http://www1.salary.com/Dentist-Salary.html

Many predict a shift in incomes in the US with certain specialities making less and PCPs making more. All speculation though. That said, most med students, regardless of degree will end up in primary care, although it is more likely a DO grad will go this route.

Regardless, I don't think you can me enough to live in people's mouths all day. General dentistry probably sounds boring to the average pre-med/med student.

And this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813819 shows that last year, 3.53% of U.S. MD grads match ortho vs 2.53% DO grads... not that much difference imo.

Those numbers include the AOA match for the DO side of things though, just to be fair. In the ACGME match it's only 0.11% for DOs. That said, a lot of realistic DO ortho candidates decide to go AOA instead of rolling the dice on an ACGME spot, because it is a risky gamble.

Regardless, I don't think you can me enough to live in people's mouths all day. General dentistry probably sounds boring to the average pre-med/med student.

I agree - mouths are disgusting, although people paying out of pocket for dental procedures probably have better hygiene.

Dentists also have a much more favorable payor mix than your typical physician, along with easier hours.

It's a boring job, but in the current climate, a safer paycheck.

I agree - mouths are disgusting, although people paying out of pocket for dental procedures probably have better hygiene.

Dentists also have a much more favorable payor mix than your typical physician, along with easier hours.

Aren't some dental schools super expensive. I heard people out of USC take out close to 450k loans...

yeah, i can see that; they do tend to have bankers hours. probably less overall bs as well. no thanks though.

jumping to absolutes again. (smh). of course some people care, and the degree of such varies according to geography. all-in-all, there is relatively more concern amongst students, generally speaking.

but man, you really just like to stir $hit up don't you. just curious as to why you spend so much time on the osteo forums...

How am I jumping to absolutes by what you emboldened? I was paraphrasing a common argument on this board :rolleyes: do you want me to go find some examples?

To answer your question, I just have a very sensitive bull*****t meter that goes crazy from time to time around here. It goes of in allo too, but would only know that if you went over there instead of avoiding it due to randomly jumped-upon absolutes about the posters there :)

Last edited:
How am I jumping to absolutes by what you emboldened? I was paraphrasing a common argument on this board :rolleyes: do you want me to go find some examples?

To answer your question, I just have a very sensitive bull*****t meter that goes crazy from time to time around here. It goes of in allo too, but would only know that if you went over there instead of avoiding it due to randomly jumped-upon absolutes about the posters there :)

I really don't see anyone in this discussion claiming some absolute stance that "normal people don't care; only pre-meds." Such a sentiment does not dominate this thread at all. One post does mention that people "really don't care." Maybe this is the "arguments" in this discussion that you were referring to?

I don't "avoid" the allo boards; I just don't read them as much and I rarely comment. However, I'm sure you're "keeping it real" over there ;)

Are your parents physicians? I'm guessing not or this would be a moot point. I do think there is some cultural bias going on here, however.

My parents are not physicians, but all of my uncles are. They all graduated from our state MD school.

I know someone is going to get flamed for this, bear with me, but one of my uncles said that the reason DO schools are successful this day in age is because the Jews took it over to make money and got the DOs the ability to get practice rights after World War 2. He told me that DOs started out as crackpots and then after the jews took over the buisness and started to make money, they started to get equal practicing rights. He said that that is the reason why there are Jewish DO schools (which I found out there are)

Is this plausible? It seems that running a DO school is basically a license to print money now since all of these new private schools are opening up

My parents are not physicians, but all of my uncles are. They all graduated from our state MD school.

I know someone is going to get flamed for this, bear with me, but one of my uncles said that the reason DO schools are successful this day in age is because the Jews took it over to make money and got the DOs the ability to get practice rights after World War 2. He told me that DOs started out as crackpots and then after the jews took over the buisness and started to make money, they started to get equal practicing rights. He said that that is the reason why there are Jewish DO schools (which I found out there are)

Is this plausible? It seems that running a DO school is basically a license to print money now since all of these new private schools are opening up

no

I really don't see anyone in this discussion claiming some absolute stance that "normal people don't care; only pre-meds." Such a sentiment does not dominate this thread at all. One post does mention that people "really don't care." Maybe this is the "arguments" in this discussion that you were referring to?

I don't "avoid" the allo boards; I just don't read them as much and I rarely comment. However, I'm sure you're "keeping it real" over there ;)

You're nit picking. Bad hair day or something?

sorry but this uncle of yours is kinda sounding like a nutcase. Touro (started in the 90s) is the largest private college system in America...it has undergrad, grad, med schools (both MD and DO), law schools, business schools, and is also international. it is also a jewish college system.

you seem a bit misinformed. do not apply DO without reading The DOs by Norman Gevitz.

sorry but this uncle of yours is kinda sounding like a nutcase. Touro (started in the 90s) is the largest private college system in America...it has undergrad, grad, med schools (both MD and DO), law schools, business schools, and is also international. it is also a jewish college system.

you seem a bit misinformed. do not apply DO without reading The DOs by Norman Gevitz.

I have done alot of research about the DO profession. I was just again highlighting the discrimination that DOs have in some peoples, even professional people's eyes.

And actually my uncle is really down to earth, that is why I was surprised by what he told me. He is also a very respected surgeon.

Oh..... ok then
:thumbup:

l.jpg

I have done alot of research about the DO profession. I was just again highlighting the discrimination that DOs have in some peoples, even professional people's eyes.

And actually my uncle is really down to earth, that is why I was surprised by what he told me. He is also a very respected surgeon.

Look, it's there (discrimination), but it's not like some country-wide racial discrimination from the 60's. Certain programs that have douchey/stone age administration have it, but not nearly as many as you'd think. There are DO directors at ACGME residency programs (admittedly in the minority as we're still less than 20% of all physicians).

DOs didn't have to do sit-ins to get equal practice rights, ya know? But you seem to be in some family that has anti DO genetic code so you're not really getting a representative sample. Truth be told, your family is grossly misinformed. What you uncle said about WW2 has its roots in truth but the Jew part is off the deep end. Surprise surprise, Jews get "blamed." (I'm irish/german, for the record)

Do some research. Ignore your family (uncles, aunts, cousins, nieces, nephews, dogs, cats, goldfish) and make up your own mind. I'm sorry to keep throwing you family's credibility in the trash but on this subject they're just grossly misinformed. I'm not saying they're being malicious, but man, if I ever meet them I'm going to make them cite a source for every sentence they speak.

Just to show the other side (and lighten up the response), I've had a couple nurse friends/family members go "ohh...DO? Thank God, you guys don't take the *****hole class." That's more than one nurse and none of them know each other, lol.

Last edited:
To gypsyhummus
1. Your uncle who thinks that DO schools are a jewish conspiracy is at best a fool but much more likely an antisemite.

2. Judging from your posts here- I would never want to have you as my doctor MD or DO.

3. LEARN TO SPELL for that alone most MD/DO schools shouldn't take you.

4.. I realize that you are probably a troll- if not you are truly an a-hole.

IF YOU DO BECOME A DOCTOR IT WILL BE A DISERVICE TO HUMANITY.

Wow o wow o wow!!!!!!!

Interesting that LECOM is run by the Italians.

Sounds like the Gypsy"s family needs to get the hell out of the US and go back to the Black Forest. Dang....

If you and/or your "family" hate DOs so much, then why are you on here? To spread despicable anti-Semitic trash??

To gypsyhummus
1. Your uncle who thinks that DO schools are a jewish conspiracy is at best a fool but much more likely an antisemite.

2. Judging from your posts here- I would never want to have you as my doctor MD or DO.

Trolls love to use an imaginary "friend" or "mom" or "uncle".

From a financial perspective, that actually makes sense. Dentists have an easier time than primary care docs (which is what you would most likely have to do as a DO).[/QUOTE]

This is actually a very odd train of thought to me, which a lot of people seem to entertain. Dentistry is such a specifically different vocation to me than medicine, yet they are always compared.

For example, people are always saying, a doctor? That's so much school! Why not be a dentist. And they say it like it the same thing, but no residency. In reality, they might as well say, why not engineering? Accounting? Real estate?

A medical doctor is a distinct career that really can't be compared to any other field with much accuracy. So really, either you want to be a physician or you want to be something else.

That's how I see it at least.

This is actually a very odd train of thought to me, which a lot of people seem to entertain. Dentistry is such a specifically different vocation to me than medicine, yet they are always compared.

For example, people are always saying, a doctor? That's so much school! Why not be a dentist. And they say it like it the same thing, but no residency. In reality, they might as well say, why not engineering? Accounting? Real estate?

A medical doctor is a distinct career that really can't be compared to any other field with much accuracy. So really, either you want to be a physician or you want to be something else.

That's actually not a good way to look at it.

Dentistry and podiatry are basically medical specialties that for historical reasons have separate degrees. So they are related, much more than accounting to engineering.

I agree. IMO if someone is easily swayed away from MD/DO into the DMD (or is it DDS) route, then they probably didn't want medicine bad enough (or weren't as dumb as the rest of us... lol!).

Last edited:
To gypsyhummus

1) Dont know what to say, kinda agree with you. He is a very respected surgeon however, so I guess he can think that all he wants if he is good at what he does.

2) Um ok? To each their own, but I didnt do anything wrong.

3) Sorry, on my phone typing.

4) Not a troll and I dont know why you think I am an a-hole. All I have done is tell you what I have seen and heard, and frankly I am insulted. All I want is to be a physician, and hearing an attending say that is kinda sad. Arnt you supposed to encourage people? Or are you a Dr. Cox type person.

I AM GOING TO BE A PHYSICIAN, DO OR MD AND YOU SIR WILL BE THE FIRST PERSON ON SDN THAT I PM WHEN I RECEIVE MY ACCEPTANCE.

Interesting that LECOM is run by the Italians.

Sounds like the Gypsy"s family needs to get the hell out of the US and go back to the Black Forest. Dang....

:laugh: well played

If you and/or your "family" hate DOs so much, then why are you on here? To spread despicable anti-Semitic trash??

I dont hate DOs. Like I said before, if a DO school takes a chance on me when my state MD school doesnt, then I sure as hell will take that opportunity. I would rather be a doctor than not.

My family on the other hand, like I have been saying, is very anti DO.

I AM GOING TO BE A PHYSICIAN, DO OR MD AND YOU SIR WILL BE THE FIRST PERSON ON SDN THAT I PM WHEN I RECEIVE MY ACCEPTANCE.

Krieger.png

Cyril: These are from a doctor!
Cheryl: So? Krieger's a doctor.
Cyril: Not the medical kind!
Krieger: Not even the other kind, technically.

I will admit, I skimmed most of the posts here. I think ya'll are giving gypsyhummus too hard of a time. He's no different than the typical DO skeptic. As for his uncle, well... he clearly has his own problems. But let's not be quick to judge Gypsy based on what his uncle said.

Gypsy, while what family says is important, it doesn't mean they're right. Clearly you know your uncle is wrong, and that the DO degree (while somewhat discriminated against in high specialty residency programs, public ignorance, etc.) makes you just as qualified a doctor. If you don't care about MD or DO, then apply to both and take whichever one you want. If you're really skeptical about being a DO, then do yourself a favor and apply MD. Simple as that.

As far as educating yourself about the DO degree, there are plenty of threads here that go into all aspects of it (salary, reputation, specialty choices, etc.). So educate yourself. You can choose to attempt to educate your family, but closed minded traditional thinkers will never listen if they choose not to. So I'd suggest you not waste your time convincing your family of anything, and just focus on educating yourself and making the best decision for YOU.

I will admit, I skimmed most of the posts here. I think ya'll are giving gypsyhummus too hard of a time. He's no different than the typical DO skeptic. As for his uncle, well... he clearly has his own problems. But let's not be quick to judge Gypsy based on what his uncle said.

Gypsy, while what family says is important, it doesn't mean they're right. Clearly you know your uncle is wrong, and that the DO degree (while somewhat discriminated against in high specialty residency programs, public ignorance, etc.) makes you just as qualified a doctor. If you don't care about MD or DO, then apply to both and take whichever one you want. If you're really skeptical about being a DO, then do yourself a favor and apply MD. Simple as that.

As far as educating yourself about the DO degree, there are plenty of threads here that go into all aspects of it (salary, reputation, specialty choices, etc.). So educate yourself. You can choose to attempt to educate your family, but closed minded traditional thinkers will never listen if they choose not to. So I'd suggest you not waste your time convincing your family of anything, and just focus on educating yourself and making the best decision for YOU.

Thank you!

I have been asking the attending physcicians at the health care clinic I volenteer at about the whole MD vs DO thing. It seems like from what they tell me, there used to be a time where DOs were just people who couldnt get into medical school. One doctor said that the last 20 years they have really changed to be competent doctors.

One doctor told me that he was actually surprised to see how much DOs know.

Bottom line: I want to be a physician and I am willing to go to any US school to make my dream become a reality.

People need to stop worrying about whether patients will know what a DO is or not. The vast majority of people in this country assume anyone with a lab coat on is a doctor. Think about it folks, there are DO doctors all over this country now, and they're doing just fine and getting paid the same as their MD counterparts. If this was as big of a concern as you people make it out to be, wouldn't they be suffering for it? Yes, you may occasionally have to explain what a DO is to those few patients who even notice the DO after your name, but most won't notice or care.

I just wanted to add, again, and in simple terms...this is an outdated debate. Having professionally and personally known dozens of physicians in 5 different states, I really only ever met ONE with any real prejudice. And he was 70 years old.

The old generation is about to become irrelevant and then dead. Any young doctor who perpetuates this antiquated mentality will be looked down on as either pretentious or ignorant.

I'm sorry for people who have family members to deal with, but honestly, of they are mad about you becoming a DO, they have bigger problems than these. The type of people who discriminate like that will always find something to complain about.

This is is really so close to a non issue. The only thing that remains is public education and residency availability.

The existence of the DO degree is silly.

All existing DO schools should convert to MD or close, and OMM should be relegated to the dustbin of history.

Not many MD's respect DO's......

Just the truth that nobody wants to say or admit.

Not many MD's respect DO's......

Just the truth that nobody wants to say or admit.

Thanks for being a fantastic contributor. I'm glad you dropped in here to clarify.

I hope you're at least half as useful to your patients.

I've definitely said my piece in this thread but the anti-DO students from the allo forums (ie the soon to be pretentious/ignorant ones) have reared their ugly heads and we all know where the thread is headed.

I think it's time for a solid lock-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.