DO Chances/Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPManeen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am graduating from college next week:
3.6 cum
3.4 science (a few courses from comm college before I knew I was going to go pre-med)
MCAT: my road block, 23...taking it again in July
I am a certified athletic trainer who will have some work experience w/ NCAA DI football, NFL, and NBA upon starting medical school

Resume is pretty stout, but a lot based on athletic training successes

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks good, but this is definitely contingent on the improved MCAT. Aim for preferably 27-28+. What are you doing to prepare? For me, improving 5 points was a matter of being nose deep in EK Verbal for a few months. Also, how are your clinical ECs? Looks like you have some good non-clinical experience with the athletic training. Best of luck to you.

Any clinical experience/shadowing? Get these... and maybe your athletic training will make up for your other lacking ECs, assuming you have a lot of hours racked up doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have shadowed numerous physicians, including the Deputy Executive Commissioner for the Health and Human Services Commission for Texas and even got to go to both the Texas State and US House of Representatives to play an integral role in passing of Senate Bill 2038 that completely revamps concussion assessments in high school athletes. Volunteered a bunch in numerous fashion, simply this stupid MCAT.

NeuroLAX- I took the TPR course and what not, I guess I just was not focusing. I plan on reading all of my material from that course and then practicing and practicing

Hey,

I am graduating from college next week:
3.6 cum
3.4 science (a few courses from comm college before I knew I was going to go pre-med)
MCAT: my road block, 23...taking it again in July
I am a certified athletic trainer who will have some work experience w/ NCAA DI football, NFL, and NBA upon starting medical school

Resume is pretty stout, but a lot based on athletic training successes

Thank you!

Did you do any observation of your team docs? I know that was one of our rotations. You can use some of your athletic training experience can serve as your clinical experience. Also, if you volunteered to cover, say, special Olympics as an ATS, there's volunteer.

Your MCAT is your weak spot, you know that. But not horrible by any means. Being an ATC can go either way, depending on how you frame it in your PS. You learned some basic manual techniques, which are similar offshoots to the OMM one might learn at a DO school. Be ready for the "why AT" question also, although the answers always obvious to me.

How are you already certified if you've not graduated? Make sure your shadowing docs remember your face for those LOR, and possibly and head ATs/PTs etc.

Yes I have shadowed numerous physicians, including the Deputy Executive Commissioner for the Health and Human Services Commission for Texas and even got to go to both the Texas State and US House of Representatives to play an integral role in passing of Senate Bill 2038 that completely revamps concussion assessments in high school athletes. Volunteered a bunch in numerous fashion, simply this stupid MCAT.

NeuroLAX- I took the TPR course and what not, I guess I just was not focusing. I plan on reading all of my material from that course and then practicing and practicing

Looks like you have good chance to me. Plus, your experience is a good asset to bring in with you. However, trying to use names like the above to impress ADCOMs or schools isn't going to work. Not sure if that was your intention but given that you listed a Deputy with a two line name Im guessing that was what you were going for...

My apologies Mosonik, I did not mean to come off as arrogant or impressive. He was our old team physician before taking on that role. Thank you all for your advice.