Do Canadians need to do MCCEE for J1 Visa Statement of Need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that if a Canadian citizen from an international school, ie. Ireland, does their residency in the U.S on J1 visa, they need to do MCCEE. This is because the U.S wants proof that Canada is your home country for the 2 year return to home country rule, and thus for the statement of need.

Is this true?

I myself am a Canadian citizen in the UK hoping to match into residency in the States on J1 visa in 2012 match. Will I need to write the MCCEE next summer in order to get the J1 visa statement of need?

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

Let me know what you find out about this because I am also wondering whether or not I will have to take the MCCEE in order to get a J1 statement of need. I'll be applying to the 2012 match as well, although I go to med school in the US (no US citizenship though).

Let me know what you find out about this because I am also wondering whether or not I will have to take the MCCEE in order to get a J1 statement of need. I'll be applying to the 2012 match as well, although I go to med school in the US (no US citizenship though).

If u go to a non-USA med school u will need the mccee for getting a j1 visa. If u go to a USA school u may be able to extend u r F1 visa to a 1 year training visa and then get sponsored for an H1b and not need the mccee. However if you would like to return to Canada to work it is advisable that u sit for all the Canadian licensing exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey docbill, thx for that.

Yeh, I go to school in the UK, and plan on matching on J1. But I want to stay on in the U.S, so I will try for J1 waiver.

But regardless, I guess that means I need to do MCCEE even if I stay on waiver?

Thanks,

If u go to a non-USA med school u will need the mccee for getting a j1 visa. If u go to a USA school u may be able to extend u r F1 visa to a 1 year training visa and then get sponsored for an H1b and not need the mccee. However if you would like to return to Canada to work it is advisable that u sit for all the Canadian licensing exams.

The H1B is definitely preferable but unfortunately many programs only sponsor a J1, and if I am stuck on a J1 from Health Canada I need to know if I have to take the MCCEE before I can get sponsored, cuz I'll just take it after Step 2 CK if need be... I think I'll just e-mail them and see what they say...

The H1B is definitely preferable but unfortunately many programs only sponsor a J1, and if I am stuck on a J1 from Health Canada I need to know if I have to take the MCCEE before I can get sponsored, cuz I'll just take it after Step 2 CK if need be... I think I'll just e-mail them and see what they say...

You need to write the mccee for a J1 visa from your province. That's straight from the CEO of Carms.

You need to write the mccee for a J1 visa from your province. That's straight from the CEO of Carms.

Sweet, thank you.

BTW, I'm applying Sept.1, 2011 for 2012 NRMP. Will taking MCCEE in Sept. 2011 be alright? Does it matter when I do the exam? Or can I do it anytime before March 15, 2012, which is the match date?

thanks,

Well according to the replies here, we have to do MCCEE. But let me know if you find out anything.

I agree, H1b is preferable, but from the reading I've been doing, H1b is very hard to get unless you go for Family Meds. Its competitive as it is for an IMG, don't need to make my life any harder....

Last edited:
There are drawbacks with the H1b as explained to me by a program director. It actually hinders you when you apply for fellowships.

You need the MCCEE for a Canadian J1 to train in the USA. No way around it. You have to be in your final year to write the EE. The CaRMS website tells you when you should write the EE to be eligible for the upcoming match. Just do it and get it over with. The EE and CK are relatively easy anyways.

There are drawbacks with the H1b as explained to me by a program director. It actually hinders you when you apply for fellowships.

You need the MCCEE for a Canadian J1 to train in the USA. No way around it. You have to be in your final year to write the EE. The CaRMS website tells you when you should write the EE to be eligible for the upcoming match. Just do it and get it over with. The EE and CK are relatively easy anyways.

I agree 100% about H1b being a drawback. Why?

1. Fewer programs sponsor H1b, so yes, when applying for fellowships, you will be severely limited.

2. H1b is just a headache for hospitals. So even at places that do sponsor H1b, they still will be more inclined to match someone that is on J1/Green Card holder/U.S citizen.

3. H1b = 6 years. J1 = 7 years. Extra year could prove to be important when it comes to fellowships.

Arb, do you know how many weeks it takes to get back MCCEE results? Also, I'm just planning on doing NRMP, not CaRMs, so can I do hte MCCEE whenever, as long as its in time for my July 1 residency start?

The EE is offered every other month I believe (the calendar is on their website). It takes around 4-6 weeks from the last day of the test month to receive your results. If you are only doing the NRMP then you just have to do the EE and receive your results before you apply for your J1 and that's after the match.

The EE is offered every other month I believe (the calendar is on their website). It takes around 4-6 weeks from the last day of the test month to receive your results. If you are only doing the NRMP then you just have to do the EE and receive your results before you apply for your J1 and that's after the match.

Thx again for the info.

So basically I can do MCCEE anytime before match date (March 15, 2012). Cool!

One other question I have, how long does it take for the entire J1 visa process (from application to processing)? A couple months I take it?

I'm a 3rd year Canadian SGU student currently going through the process of registering for the MCCEE. On the forms it states that I need to be in 4th year to be registering, but I want to take the exam right after third year (in August or September), so I need to register soon. On the forms it also asks for all my 4th year electives, but I don't have all of those scheduled yet. Would it be feasible to fill in the forms now and put the electives I plan on scheduling on there, even if I can't actually schedule them until May?

alot of people say that the j1 is for 7 years. cant you extend it though if you need more than that to finish your program?

I don't think so, although I am no expert. That is why IMG's who are considering interventional cardiology are kinda screwed (3+3+2). I could be wrong though.

Best of luck! What specialty are you applying for/are in?

I agree with pistolpete...in that the 7 year rule I *think* is fairly strict (although I though I've read online, stories of hospitals extending it for a year to complete training, but dunno)

However, there are several interventional cardiology fellowships I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that are 1 year....ie. Mass General -> http://www.massgeneral.org/education/fellowship.aspx?id=19
But I think there are a few that are 2 years as well.

So I think 7 years is good for most fellowships (Unless you want to do GSurg + Cardiothoracic, which is 5 + 3, or GSurg + Plastics...)

I don't think so, although I am no expert. That is why IMG's who are considering interventional cardiology are kinda screwed (3+3+2). I could be wrong though.

Best of luck! What specialty are you applying for/are in?

Hi! I am Canadian and an MS IV and at a US med school. I have an F1 visa right now and get 1 year OPT for residency before I need to get a J1. Does anyone know if you can take the MCCEE exam after graduating if you dont need the j1 visa until PGY2?? Thanks alot!!

I would think that you can wait... that is what I plan to do: apply to residencies, hope for H1b. If not, then do first year on OPT and take the MCCEE after the match when I know only the J1 will work.