DNA vs RNA viruses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In both cases, the virus injects genetic material into the host cell.

If the genetic material is DNA, it will have to enter the nucleus for transcription of RNA which can then be translated.

If the genetic material is RNA, translation can happen directly. Or the RNA can be reverse transcribed in the cytoplasm for the resulting DNA to enter the nucleus.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Members don't see this ad.

You are thinking about it on a very broad scale. Some viruses can contain DNA and still be considered a retrovirus due to how it interacts and replicates within the cell intermediates. DNA viruses can also be ssDNA or dsDNA in which they would need to penetrate the cell nucleus to replicate. RNA viruses are sort of similar to DNA viruses in that they also have ssRNA or dsRNA. RNA viruses that use reverse transcriptase to revert the RNA to DNA are called retroviruses, but there are RNA viruses that do not use this method and they are known to be "riboviruses."

So, in a big picture you are sort of right, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty your summary is far from complete.

I am not so sure the DNA needs to get into the nucleus to be an effective viral agent. Some viruses such as the papilloma virus are able to maintain an episome, similar to a bacterial plasmid, in the cytosol.
The first thing I thought of was "Hey- there is no DNA polymerase in the cytosol, what gives?" And to answer my own question, the virus most likely brings the tools with it to read the DNA anywhere it needs to.

"Episomal latency refers to the use of genetic episomes during latency. In this type, viral genes are stabilized floating in the cytoplasm or nucleus as distinct objects, both as linear or lariat structures. Episomal latency is more vulnerable to ribozymes or host foreign gene degradation than provirus latency.

One example is Herpes Virus family, Herpesviridae, all of which establish latent infection. Herpes virus include Chicken-pox virus and Herpes simplex viruses (HSV-1, HSV-2), all of which establish episomal latency in neurons and leave linear genetic material floating in the cytoplasm"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_latency

Another:
"all known DNA viruses that infect animal cells encode their own DNA polymerases. In each case, the DNA polymerase is essential for the replication of the virus. Why have these viruses evolved to encode and require their own DNA polymerases? (In this chapter, only DNA polymerases that strictly utilize DNA templates are considered. Information about the reverse transcriptases encoded by retroviruses or the polymerases encoded by hepadnaviruses can be found in Skalka and Goff [1993] and in Seeger and Mason [this volume].) For poxviruses, which replicate in the cytoplasm (Traktman, this volume), the answer may be that the viral genome does not gain access to the cellular polymerases "
http://dnareplication.cshl.edu/content/free/chapters/16_coen.pdf