DNA vs RNA mutations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alde8127

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are mutations in DNA more serious than mutations in RNA?
Is it because DNA is the basic building block of all proteins, whereas RNA is only used to help in the production of DNA?

Members don't see this ad.

I had an answer written out but it's lost in the momentary interruption of SDN just a half hour ago. I'll try to re-state what I originally wrote in a shorter way.

RNA can mutate through a transcription process, and RNA is only used to make that particular protein when it is needed and then it's degraded and disappears. This doesn't need to happen every time.

DNA is the original copy from which all transcribed RNA is produced from, so if there's a mutation in DNA then ALL transcribed copies of RNA and therefore protein will be affected.

Why are mutations in DNA more serious than mutations in RNA?
Is it because DNA is the basic building block of all proteins, whereas RNA is only used to help in the production of DNA?

You may be confusing mRNA and tRNA. tRNA it's used by ribosomes during the synthesis of DNA. mRNA is created during transcription and exists in the cell for only a short period of time before it is degraded. During its lifespan, it may be translated into protein by ribosomes. During the lifespan of one DNA, countless mRNA transcriptions will take place. One erroneous mRNA would lead to one malfunctioning protein before the mRNA breaks down, whereas one erroneous DNA would lead to countless erroneous mRNA, leading to countless malfunctioning proteins.

I had an answer written out but it's lost in the momentary interruption of SDN just a half hour ago. I'll try to re-state what I originally wrote in a shorter way.

RNA can mutate through a transcription process, and RNA is only used to make that particular protein when it is needed and then it's degraded and disappears. This doesn't need to happen every time.

DNA is the original copy from which all transcribed RNA is produced from, so if there's a mutation in DNA then ALL transcribed copies of RNA and therefore protein will be affected.

You may be confusing mRNA and tRNA. tRNA it's used by ribosomes during the synthesis of DNA. mRNA is created during transcription and exists in the cell for only a short period of time before it is degraded. During its lifespan, it may be translated into protein by ribosomes. During the lifespan of one DNA, countless mRNA transcriptions will take place. One erroneous mRNA would lead to one malfunctioning protein before the mRNA breaks down, whereas one erroneous DNA would lead to countless erroneous mRNA, leading to countless malfunctioning proteins.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user