DMU or UMDNJ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMU or UMDNJ-SOM

• DMU

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • UMDNJ-SOM

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

Orthodoc40

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm still hoping to get into my state school, or possibly another allo school, but right now I'm accepted to these 2 DO programs.
Since my big interest/background has been in orthopedics, I just wonder if either would be a clearcut advantage over the other for getting into a good (or any) ortho residency - either allo or osteo? (I'm aware my interests could totally change during school, but let's go with what I know so far...)
Some points I'm juggling are:
DMU seems to place a lot of people into ortho residencies, (7 in a class of 182 last year) though I know match lists are usually a reflection of the class member's interests to a good degree.
UMDNJ has an affiliated residency, so maybe that's a benefit.
DMU has 32 weeks of free elective time, while UMDNJ only has 16.
I'm from Massachusetts & my family & friends are all around the Northeast.

Anything else I should be finding out before deciding?

Members don't see this ad.

DMU has a little lead here in the poll - any comments on why people think going to DMU would be an advantage?

umdnj- because I am considering ortho too, and I want to limit competition.
bump

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an obvious bias, but we matched some good people to ortho last year, atleast 5 or 6 I believe. I'm looking to match to Ortho as well, I have research lined up in Des Moines with an orthopod as well. Truth is though it's a tough residency to get into no matter what school you go to.

I have an obvious bias, but we matched some good people to ortho last year, atleast 5 or 6 I believe. I'm looking to match to Ortho as well, I have research lined up in Des Moines with an orthopod as well. Truth is though it's a tough residency to get into no matter what school you go to.

Yah - there were 7 on the list for 2006 at DMU. Pretty darn good I thought.

umdnj- because I am considering ortho too, and I want to limit competition.
bump

Limit competition? :laugh: Haven't you noticed yet that just about every other pre med and M1 & M2 says they want to do ortho?!! :laugh:

Anyway, thanks for the input, guys!

PCOM is by far the strogest school to attend for Ortho..They match at least 10 every year..this year i hear between civilian and military its about 26-30..Go there...

Any if you think your really good enough to get ortho(Smart,6"0 or taller, STUD on service, Jock and likeable not annoying) ..then go DO because you can go Allopathic or Osteopathic.. Reguardless of wht people say about Allopathic Orhto and your chances, weather your an MD or DO if a program really wants you then they will take u.....

I interviewed Allopathic and Osteopathic...

Lots a luck

Any if you think your really good enough to get ortho(Smart,6"0 or taller, STUD on service, Jock and likeable not annoying) ..then go DO because you can go Allopathic or Osteopathic.. Reguardless of wht people say about Allopathic Orhto and your chances, weather your an MD or DO if a program really wants you then they will take u.....

:confused:

6 foot or taller?

i will put 2 cents in ... i work with both DO resident and MD residents .... i would say this ... choose one or the other and stay there ... those who think they can go from DO to MD will be in for a shock because there is still such a bias, and most programs (especially the big names) will not interview you ...

and from what i understand from speaking with my DO residents ... the DO match is before the MD match ... which is intentionally done so people don't enter both ...

so, i would go to the best school you can that fits you ... MD or DO ... i don't think it matters ... if you are in a DO program, i would recommend you make it easier for yourself by staying in a DO residency .. and if you chose a fellowship, you can usually get an allopathic fellowship ...

anyway, that's my 2 cents

Well I have no clue what post #6 was about, since PCOM wasn't listed as an option, but thanks for the input, should it come up... :laugh: Also thanks to others for their input.

i will put 2 cents in ... i work with both DO resident and MD residents .... i would say this ... choose one or the other and stay there ... those who think they can go from DO to MD will be in for a shock because there is still such a bias, and most programs (especially the big names) will not interview you ...

and from what i understand from speaking with my DO residents ... the DO match is before the MD match ... which is intentionally done so people don't enter both ...

so, i would go to the best school you can that fits you ... MD or DO ... i don't think it matters ... if you are in a DO program, i would recommend you make it easier for yourself by staying in a DO residency .. and if you chose a fellowship, you can usually get an allopathic fellowship ...

anyway, that's my 2 cents

So PediBoneDoc, I think you're saying, either go MD or go DO, and if you go DO, plan on, aim for - a DO residency in ortho. And that you really don't think it matters if one attends a DO or an MD school, just that they stay the course?

Because my decision has changed since starting this thread and I am now in the MD/DO thing. All of my MD friends (one an ortho attending involved w/selecting residents at 2 programs) and one recent DO grad (a fellow in anesthesia) have told me to go to the MD school, even though it is 2x the cost and farther away. Perhaps it is the east coast bias speaking - but it's hard to ignore their points that 'it will just be easier for you'.

Limit competition? :laugh: Haven't you noticed yet that just about every other pre med and M1 & M2 says they want to do ortho?!! :laugh:

More like EM!