Decision Time - Tufts or UMDNJ-RWJ?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbrousell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly interested in orthopaedics and am currently making my final medical school decision for the 2010 starting class. I know that I want to be a surgeon and want to select the proper medical school accordingly to facilitate this goal down the road.

I have been accepted at Tufts, UMDNJ- Robert Wood Johnson, and Temple. I am really deciding at this point between Tufts, which I loved, and RWJ, which I also liked and is offering me in-state tuition. However, barring these factors, does anyone have a suggestion as to which school will lead me in a better direction to securing at top surgical residency spot?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the cheaper school (significantly cheaper). If both are within 5k then it probably doesn't matter.

The school you go to will NOT determine your residency choice. Only your hard work for good grades and Step 1 score will matter ultimately.

According to NRMP data, US Seniors who attend "Top 40 Research Medical Schools" are more likely to match, especially in competitive fields like orthopaedic surgery.

I'm not going to tell you which to pick, but that is the data, do with it as you will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go where you feel you are most likely to succeed. Tufts is a fine school, but not worth all the extra dough over a state school, unless you feel like you will be happier and more able to give med school your best effort. If that is true, then its probably worth the extra cost.

At what point do you think it'd be wise to go to the more reputable school for example, how about Emory vs Medical College of South Carolina or Vanderbilt vs MCSC

Going to Emory or Vanderbilt will give you future career advantages over MCSC; however, are those advantages necessarily required for your desired career goals? And more importantly, are they cost-effective?

Since I don't know you or your career goals, it is impossible for me to answer that question.

At this point, I don't have any defined career goals, but in the spirit of keeping all options open (getting private practice jobs in disireable locations, academic career), I'm leaning towards the more reputable schools.

At this point, I don't have any defined career goals, but in the spirit of keeping all options open (getting private practice jobs in disireable locations, academic career), I'm leaning towards the more reputable schools.

With this response, I feel as though you have already made your decision.