##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for all you beautiful people: What are your plans this summer? I ask because I'm tossing around the idea of applying for research. I know it looks good when residency time rolls around... but since I don't plan on going into an extremely competitive specialty, I wonder if it's really necessary?

Also, seems like the common advice is to relax and enjoy this "last summer of freedom" before life ends. I just can't decide if working even part time at school or some restaurant in Des Moines (herro?) is worth the meager earnings...

Discuss-

Members don't see this ad.

Holy smokes that was a fantastic game. I'm sure all the WAC buddies of ours are going to start making some noise in how tough that conference is. Since the BIG 12 sucked it up big time this year. Oh well...GG to Boise State they earned if fo sho.

Yea, I think we've read that book before haven't we. :smuggrin:

Question for all you beautiful people: What are your plans this summer? I ask because I'm tossing around the idea of applying for research. I know it looks good when residency time rolls around... but since I don't plan on going into an extremely competitive specialty, I wonder if it's really necessary?

Also, seems like the common advice is to relax and enjoy this "last summer of freedom" before life ends. I just can't decide if working even part time at school or some restaurant in Des Moines (herro?) is worth the meager earnings...

Discuss-

I'm doing some research with a local physician. Pays a stipend, so atleast that is something. If you can find a research position that pays a stipend, a lot of them do, then that might kill two birds with one stone. Otherwise GIVE ME MY MONGOLIAN BEEF!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Discuss-

The ER doc I talked to said that he did research his last summer and hated it. In fact, every doctor I have talked to that isn't in an uber compeitive field said to forget the research. The reason is simple: what do you expect to accomplish with a summer of research. I spent the summer of my Junior year doing xenotransplanation research and I can tell you that I got JACK accomplished. The only research I ever did that was EVER worthy of print was one I did for an entire year on sexual behavior and dopamine antagonists. Anyways, all that aside, I would vote: enjoy your time off. I am going to do some volunteer work; habitat for humanity or something else of that nature.

The ER doc I talked to said that he did research his last summer and hated it. In fact, every doctor I have talked to that isn't in an uber compeitive field said to forget the research. The reason is simple: what do you expect to accomplish with a summer of research. I spent the summer of my Junior year doing xenotransplanation research and I can tell you that I got JACK accomplished. The only research I ever did that was EVER worthy of print was one I did for an entire year on sexual behavior and dopamine antagonists. Anyways, all that aside, I would vote: enjoy your time off. I am going to do some volunteer work; habitat for humanity or something else of that nature.

congrats on your 1000th post. You must be so proud, all grown up and all. ;)

congrats on your 1000th post. You must be so proud, all grown up and all. ;)

Shouldn't you be cruising in your new MINIVAN right now? Yeah thats right.... I called you out boy....... JBONE has a MINIVAN everyone!!!!!!!!!!!:smuggrin:

Shouldn't you be cruising in your new MINIVAN right now? Yeah thats right.... I called you out boy....... JBONE has a MINIVAN everyone!!!!!!!!!!!:smuggrin:

Okay, I am going to say it. Jbone in a Minivan? That has to look like this:

104.jpg

Okay, I am going to say it. Jbone in a Minivan? That has to look like this:

104.jpg

CLASSIC!!!, That is what it totally prolly USED to look like with jbone and all his kids and his wife in the little car, now he's loving the minivan. Minivan's > All Cars. Trust me...:laugh:

AAAHHHH.....you bastards.

Ok, I admit it. :(
I have officially been pimped but damn I look good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't that a fun little test in physio today.

I guess I had it coming, I always rail on those that forget, and low and behold I was one of them. I guess it was pretty funny watching me atleast, I hope everyone got a good laugh at my expense.

I guess I had it coming, I always rail on those that forget, and low and behold I was one of them. I guess it was pretty funny watching me atleast, I hope everyone got a good laugh at my expense.

i thought a fire had broken out the way you manhandled that cell phone out of your pocket....... quick draw mcgraw!

oh...by the way.... any one else thing it is a little odd that the professors won't give us access to their powerpoints (PD for example) when we are paying a ridiculous amount of money to go to school and learn from them?....specially since we are tested on all those pretty pictures at the end! oh well.....

oh...by the way.... any one else thing it is a little odd that the professors won't give us access to their powerpoints (PD for example) when we are paying a ridiculous amount of money to go to school and learn from them?....specially since we are tested on all those pretty pictures at the end! oh well.....
I agree 100%. I like how she told us to study the pics yet won't give us access to the PP-

Discuss-

I would definitely try to do some sort of research during the summer, depending on what you plan on attaining for a career. Me, I knew I wanted to do ophtho, so I thought I better do some research, even though it wasn't ophtho related. I kind of wish it was, but I guess you take what you are given. I even got my research published and a Candida strain named after me for my efforts :thumbup:

Of course if you want to be begged to come to one of the 1200 FP residencies that doesn't get filled in the country every year, then don't bother ;)

I would definitely try to do some sort of research during the summer, depending on what you plan on attaining for a career. Me, I knew I wanted to do ophtho, so I thought I better do some research, even though it wasn't ophtho related. I kind of wish it was, but I guess you take what you are given. I even got my research published and a Candida strain named after me for my efforts :thumbup:

Of course if you want to be begged to come to one of the 1200 FP residencies that doesn't get filled in the country every year, then don't bother ;)

Everyone always rags on the poor FPs...

So you are saying do research for a compeitive residency? I am thinking about going into EM and have been advised against "wasting my last free summer" by 4-5 ED docs. Since ER is mod. compeitive would research be advised against?

I agree 100%. I like how she told us to study the pics yet won't give us access to the PP-

Hola,
sorry i've invited myself in, the door was open. usually the reason why those funky pics aren't posted is due to copyright infringement. you'll get it all the time esp. next year in systems. you'll get to see a bunch of the pictures again in lab and then at the end of the year. you have a visual recognition exam and there's a ppt somewhere on judy that has a gazillion (no exaggeration) slides that will be similar, not exact, to the ones you'll be tested on. good luck on PD. thank gawd you score major points in SPAL in 1st year.
now, i quietly close the door and slip away...

Status
Not open for further replies.