##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please clarify. Which lectures for Cell are the capstone ones that we have to go over on our own? Aren't they the Neoplasia one and GI IV. I thought Canby did GI I-III, and left 4 for us to do, but on Blackboard, it has a link to a video for GI I (part 1 and 2)? I'm confused, because I missed the first part of GI I that was scheduled last Friday.

Any help would be awesome.

There are four lectures on Blackboard that we need to watch as far as I understand it. GI I -- part 1 and part 2 and then Neoplasia --- part 1 and part 2. I think he did GI IV in class on monday.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else think that test was kinda difficult? Only 40 points, now that is a bummer.

I had my a$$ handed to me on a plate. But I knew it would happen. Freakin brutal! Probably going to be the worst score of my short career here. What can you do? Oh I know, I can take all of my notes, dip them in a large bucket of KY and ram-rod them up the old "hershey highway".
Need sleep....oh wait, test on Friday. Monster anyone???

There are four lectures on Blackboard that we need to watch as far as I understand it. GI I -- part 1 and part 2 and then Neoplasia --- part 1 and part 2. I think he did GI IV in class on monday.

Hope that helps!

I understand that, but what did Canby lecture about last Friday at 8 a.m.? It says in the calendar that he was scheduled to GI I (which is identical to what the videos cover on Blackboard).

Also, did he ever lecture over GI IV??? If not, then is there a video for it??

Still very confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that, but what did Canby lecture about last Friday at 8 a.m.? It says in the calendar that he was scheduled to GI I (which is identical to what the videos cover on Blackboard).

Also, did he ever lecture over GI IV??? If not, then is there a video for it??

Still very confused.

the outlook schedule labeled his lectures wrong....... he did face to face lectures on GI 2,3,4 and GI 1 is a video (2 parts to it)..... good luck!:thumbup:

the outlook schedule labeled his lectures wrong....... he did face to face lectures on GI 2,3,4 and GI 1 is a video (2 parts to it)..... good luck!:thumbup:

Thanks. It makes a lot more sense now, except I wonder where the hell I was for GI IV, since I don't have notes for it.

Good luck to everyone.

Thanks. It makes a lot more sense now, except I wonder where the hell I was for GI IV, since I don't have notes for it.

Good luck to everyone.

I wanna be a histologist. I heart it sooooo much! I love looking at slides and then, a week later, not having any clue what that slide is!

P.S. I hope all my patients come into my office as one leg. I don't know if I can treat them otherwise.

Anyone else think the overstock girl is hot? I'd like to give her the big O. I mean O as in "Ooo, you are done already?" I have a cold, who wants to make me soup?

Anyone else think the overstock girl is hot? I'd like to give her the big O. I mean O as in "Ooo, you are done already?" I have a cold, who wants to make me soup?
Dammit jamers, I knew you would get that 100 on the immuno test.

Question of the day: who is the Todd Peterson for our class? I was looking on the portal earlier today... He's the 2nd year that is a Peer Tutor for EVERY FREAKING CLASS. Must be a smart guy-

My vote goes to soundman and the janitor for the "Todd Peterson Award" co-winners!

Dammit jamers, I knew you would get that 100 on the immuno test.

Question of the day: who is the Todd Peterson for our class? I was looking on the portal earlier today... He's the 2nd year that is a Peer Tutor for EVERY FREAKING CLASS. Must be a smart guy-

My vote goes to soundman and the janitor for the "Todd Peterson Award" co-winners!

I've seen him before. Maybe he is like a certain someone I know: spends 16 hours a day in his room studying then worrying the day before that he knows nothing and everyone else must know more than he does. Its a wonderful existance; I just don't want to be around the day he pulls of a 70, I might be getting a 4.0 that day if you catch my drift.

ahha, I wish I got a 100. With all the crap that has been happening over the last two weeks, I have watched my average drop about 10 points. Finding it really hard to keep my mind on "this wonderful slide." I am just trying to keep my grades near the average, a little above if I can but its really a minimal effort on my part right now. I can tell you I didn't get the average on this test haha; this was my worst test and I like immunology!

As an update for everyone: I have a guranteed interview at a school in Pennsylvania (keeping you in suspense as to which school but I think everyone knows haha). This doesn't come with a assured acceptance and I still have to fill out the AACOMAS application all over again. I would starting all over again from year one. It is a lot to think about and a lot of money as well! Happiness is far more important than money in my book though. If one thing had happened I would be okay, but with the run of crap that has been thrown at me, I just know I wish I was closer. It seems that every day, something more happens. My half brother was just locked up for, well, being an idiot. He's got 1-3 years now. They are running his name through the news now, making him out to be a monster and here I sit, 1,000 miles away unable to defend him. God loves me :love: .

hey 2010ers, I know everyone doesn't live in apts and everyone has their own opinions, but can I get a general consensus of what are a couple of the "best" apt. complexes to check out?
thanks

What are you looking for in an apartment?

Also, to help you in your search: http://apartmentfinder.com/apartment/search.aspx?refer=af&mid=2120

Everyone's quiet, because we have a Histo test tomorrow morning.

Location doesn't matter TOO much although it might be nice to be in walking distance, but basically i'm looking for good rent, nice places, fun(doesn't have to be quiet if it's near DMU), and it also might be nice to be in one of those that lets you use DMU's internet for free.

I guess this is mostly what Im' looking for, but it'd be nice to hear what current DMU students have heard are some of the sweetest ones to live in.

Oh yeah, I'll probably be lookin for 2br ones, Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Location doesn't matter TOO much although it might be nice to be in walking distance, but basically i'm looking for good rent, nice places, fun(doesn't have to be quiet if it's near DMU), and it also might be nice to be in one of those that lets you use DMU's internet for free.

I guess this is mostly what Im' looking for, but it'd be nice to hear what current DMU students have heard are some of the sweetest ones to live in.

Oh yeah, I'll probably be lookin for 2br ones, Thanks

I live out in WDM so I can't help you with the close factor. Try to live closer, it's better haaha. I hate spending time in traffic.

How many hours left for everyone tonight?

I'm thinking about 4 for me.

It's really just a testament to how stupid I've gotten.

Then I must be stupid dumb cuz I am still going.

Wanna slap each other awake tomorrow?

Here is to 19 page notepools. Soundman, I am looking at you. Can you put me in charge of smacking the shiznit out of people who go over 9 pages? 19 is uncalled for and that person deserves to be brought down for killing all those trees. TREES SOUNDMAN, THEY KEEP THE AIR CLEAN. Speaking of plants, pouring salt into their soil is baddddd. Bad I say. We should do it to all the corn in Iowa. EAT THAT YOU CORN EATING MANIACS! Welp, back to my vagina...

P.S. someone make me feel smart and guess why the Romans used to salt the fields of their enemies. Stop asking where I get these useless facts! Mt. Everest is 29,028 ft. above the surrounding land but it is not the tallest mountain in the world. Can anyone name the tallest mountain in the world? I bet you can't. Anyone know the chemistry behind ice skating? Oooooooooooo, I am full of crap!!

Oooooooooooo, I am full of crap!!

Hopefully you don't have Hirschsprung's Disease :eek: .

Then what the hell is the tallest mountain the world?? I must know without taking the time to search for myself like 95% of the people on SDN.

Hopefully you don't have Hirschsprung's Disease :eek: .

Then what the hell is the tallest mountain the world?? I must know without taking the time to search for myself like 95% of the people on SDN.

It's a trick question. First off, Mt. Everest is the tallest mountain ON LAND. There are many mountains much taller than it under the ocean. One of the tallest I heard of was over 30,000 off the coast off Hawaii.

It's a trick question. First off, Mt. Everest is the tallest mountain ON LAND. There are many mountains much taller than it under the ocean. One of the tallest I heard of was over 30,000 off the coast off Hawaii.

I loathe trick questions. Especially when I realize after the fact that I've heard them before. The ocean is the final frontier of earth.

I loathe trick questions. Especially when I realize after the fact that I've heard them before. The ocean is the final frontier of earth.

The Romans salting fields is better, its not a trick question. It's science baby!

My throat hurts :-(

Of all the posts I have made, I think I had about 400 for the LECOM bash thread last year and the rest are most likely on this thread somewhere hahaa. FINE, EVERYONE JUST SLEEP, HOPE YOU LOVE YOUR PILLOWS!

Of all the posts I have made, I think I had about 400 for the LECOM bash thread last year and the rest are most likely on this thread somewhere hahaa. FINE, EVERYONE JUST SLEEP, HOPE YOU LOVE YOUR PILLOWS!

I done broke my brain.

I done broke my brain.

Let the Cell Bio Purging begin!

When I saw that Corpus Cavernosum on the practical, all I could think of was JM doing the :eek: face last night. Almost burst out laughing-

Sleep is the drug that I need to OD on STAT.

That :eek: face was awesome!!

Jamers... I'll bite on the ice skating one.

My guess is that... PV=nRT.

The pressure place on the froozen water by such a tiny blade makes it melt for a bit and the person slides on over.

???

That :eek: face was awesome!!

Jamers... I'll bite on the ice skating one.

My guess is that... PV=nRT.

The pressure place on the froozen water by such a tiny blade makes it melt for a bit and the person slides on over.

???

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Actually... I guess I'm wrong...

http://www.princeton.edu/~lehmann/BadChemistry.html#Skating

"Common Theory of Ice Skating is all Wet!

Water has many unusual properties. One is that the low pressure solid form (what we know as ice) has a volume per mole that is ~10% larger than that of liquid water into which it melts. An everyday consequence of this fact is that ice cubes float near the surface of water, with about 10% of their volume above the water-air surface and 90% below.

Another consequence of this decrease in volume upon melting is that the melting temperature of ice decreases when one increases the pressure on the ice. This can be rationalized by Le Châtelier's Principle. An increase in pressure on a sample of ice can be partially removed by melting the ice and thus lowering the sample volume. However, the effect is a small one in that it takes a pressure of ~121 atmospheres (1.22 MPa in SI units) to reduce the melting temperature by a mere 1 degree Centigrade.

It is often claimed that one can skate on ice because the pressure of the skate causes the ice to melt, thus dramatically reducing the friction between skate and ice. While this makes a good story, it is not quite correct. If one takes the skater to have a mass of 75 kg (weight of 165 lbs), and the skate to be 3 mm wide and 20 cm long, one can calculate that entire gravitational force exerted on the area of one skate is only a pressure of about 12 atmospheres. While one can imagine that the force is concentrated in a somewhat smaller area, the effect of pressure alone is clearly enough to shift the melting temperature of the ice by at most a few tenths of a degree. Since common experience is that ice skating is possible even when the ambient temperature is well below the normal freezing point, the pressure induced lowering of the melting point clearly does not explain this every day observations.

What is responsible then? Scientists have far from a complete understanding of this everyday phenomenon. It is likely partially related to an effect known as surface melting. The stability of solids is due to the regular structure that allows for each molecule to have multiple attractive interactions. At the surface of a solid, this is not the case, since there are no molecules 'above' the surface to bind to. As a result, the surface molecules will often distort to make the best of a bad situation by trying to increase their bonding to each other and those below. This is known as surface reconstruction. It is also known that the molecules on the surface can become disordered and liquid like at a temperature below the normal melting point of a solid, this is the phenomenon known as surface melting. Bringing up another surface (such as the metal of a skate) will influence this surface melting, since now the water molecules on the surface can bind to the metal surface atoms as well. Another important effect is friction, which can generate enough heat to melt a thin layer of ice in contact with the skate. "

Let the Cell Bio Purging begin!

When I saw that Corpus Cavernosum on the practical, all I could think of was JM doing the :eek: face last night. Almost burst out laughing-

Sleep is the drug that I need to OD on STAT.

A shower is the drug a lot of you guys need, STAT, when testing time gets heavy somethings got to give... usually its water and soap. I'd like to forget the cavernosum face, but it haunts my dreams.

Remember, PV=nRT is a gas law.

This has to do with the odd property of ice to change into water when pressure is applied. Remember phase diagrams? Triple points and all that? FUN!

Here is one everyone should get:

adding salt to water causes my water to boil sooner. True or false.

Which makes it all worth it in the end.

Here we go, how about a medical one for you. We will get to this later but, its fun to know.

I have just had around 5 beers and now I am hungry and peeing a lot. Explain to me the two main neurotransmitters invovled in A) the feeling of hunger and B)the lack of bladder control. Hint, we have learned the one neurotransmitter invovled with peeing too much and its not aldosterone. Also, the one related to hunger would explain why someone who is on something like Prozac may have a greater effect when drinking; also with smoking pot but, that is another story.

Actually... I guess I'm wrong...

http://www.princeton.edu/~lehmann/BadChemistry.html#Skating

"Common Theory of Ice Skating is all Wet!

Water has many unusual properties. One is that the low pressure solid form (what we know as ice) has a volume per mole that is ~10% larger than that of liquid water into which it melts. An everyday consequence of this fact is that ice cubes float near the surface of water, with about 10% of their volume above the water-air surface and 90% below.

Another consequence of this decrease in volume upon melting is that the melting temperature of ice decreases when one increases the pressure on the ice. This can be rationalized by Le Châtelier's Principle. An increase in pressure on a sample of ice can be partially removed by melting the ice and thus lowering the sample volume. However, the effect is a small one in that it takes a pressure of ~121 atmospheres (1.22 MPa in SI units) to reduce the melting temperature by a mere 1 degree Centigrade.

It is often claimed that one can skate on ice because the pressure of the skate causes the ice to melt, thus dramatically reducing the friction between skate and ice. While this makes a good story, it is not quite correct. If one takes the skater to have a mass of 75 kg (weight of 165 lbs), and the skate to be 3 mm wide and 20 cm long, one can calculate that entire gravitational force exerted on the area of one skate is only a pressure of about 12 atmospheres. While one can imagine that the force is concentrated in a somewhat smaller area, the effect of pressure alone is clearly enough to shift the melting temperature of the ice by at most a few tenths of a degree. Since common experience is that ice skating is possible even when the ambient temperature is well below the normal freezing point, the pressure induced lowering of the melting point clearly does not explain this every day observations.

What is responsible then? Scientists have far from a complete understanding of this everyday phenomenon. It is likely partially related to an effect known as surface melting. The stability of solids is due to the regular structure that allows for each molecule to have multiple attractive interactions. At the surface of a solid, this is not the case, since there are no molecules 'above' the surface to bind to. As a result, the surface molecules will often distort to make the best of a bad situation by trying to increase their bonding to each other and those below. This is known as surface reconstruction. It is also known that the molecules on the surface can become disordered and liquid like at a temperature below the normal melting point of a solid, this is the phenomenon known as surface melting. Bringing up another surface (such as the metal of a skate) will influence this surface melting, since now the water molecules on the surface can bind to the metal surface atoms as well. Another important effect is friction, which can generate enough heat to melt a thin layer of ice in contact with the skate. "

:eek: My chemistry teacher LIED to us!!??! How could he?! :(

anyone else feeling burned out or is it just me?

anyone else feeling burned out or is it just me?

I just want the next semester to start so I can forget this month. Maybe when we start more clincially related things it will be all good.

Hey guys, sorry to screw up your thread during finals, but I'm sort of depressed. I was waitlisted this week at DMU, and it was my favorite of all the schools I have been to (MD and DO). Did any of you get in off the waitlist last year? I know that it varies from year to year, but do you know if there is usually a lot of waitlist movement?
Thanks and best wishes on your tests!

Shelly,

At this point it is tough to know what the situation will be like for next year's class. I am one of the student interviewers for DMU & have asked questions similar to these to the faculty who get the run down on admissions every month at faculty meetings. Here's a quick summary...

The reason it is very difficult to know at this point is b/c the first half of DMU's seat deposits for those already accepted are not due until Dec. 15. Shortly after then we will have a rough estimate of the number of students 'accepting' a seat at DMU for the Class of 2011. I say rough b/c, as you know, some people may be holding multiple acceptances or waiting for decisions from other schools. This gives us an estimate of where we stand for the remainder of the interviewing year although the number of acceptances at the point you interview has no affect on your status. After the 15th, those accepted have approximately two weeks to decide if they will pay the first half of the seat deposit to reserve their spot.

The last interview date this year is April 27, 2007, however, in the past this has changed (closed sooner) w/ the number of acceptances we have offered to very competitive applicants (getting better every year) I know that they begin interviewing only for waitlist spots at some point. So...long answer to a short question; The waitlist will more than likely not change before April 27.

I do, however, know a couple people in the first year class who did get in off the waitlist so as long as you are in a 'High' waitlist spot, you should have a chance. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any more questions.

Soundman is gone for a few days, I feel empty in my pants...:(

Are you sure that's not from pooping in the fridge?

What's that? You know I don't speak spanish!

On a side note: hearing about peri-care brought back some bad memories of the nursing home...

What's that? You know I don't speak spanish!

On a side note: hearing about peri-care brought back some bad memories of the nursing home...
Amen to that...

"Always wipe from front to back... you don't want to introduce bacteria into the..."

Oh God I can't get the images out of my head. If I ever reach the point in my life where I can't wipe my own ass, I want to be taken out back and shot. No nursing home for me-

Amen to that...

"Always wipe from front to back... you don't want to introduce bacteria into the..."

Oh God I can't get the images out of my head. If I ever reach the point in my life where I can't wipe my own ass, I want to be taken out back and shot. No nursing home for me-

Amen brother.

Taking the wise (?) advice of Jamers, or maybe just being a naiive sucker getting set up for something else, I pose the following question to the self proclaimed super geniuses of 2010....Having just coughed up my $500 deposit....

Anyone know if there is anywhere even CLOSE to New England a DMU student can do 3rd/4th year rotations that would be pretty good, too??

Status
Not open for further replies.