Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fairly certain eligibility runs afoul of federal law/regs. But Stanford means well.

I'm clearly not a lawyer, but I thought the Civil Rights Act made it illegal to hire based upon race?

I guess the problem is you need a victim to claim they've been damaged by this hiring policy? Is anyone damaged by avoiding a year of that fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm clearly not a lawyer, but I thought the Civil Rights Act made it illegal to hire based upon race?

I guess the problem is you need a victim to claim they've been damaged by this hiring policy? Is anyone damaged by avoiding a year of that fellowship?

Big health systems in major metros openly defy the law and will tell you straight out they want a BIPOC or a looking for a female doctor.

Not only do they know they can get away with it, they also have no problem wasting your time so they can make the process look like it was fair.

Reactions: 1 user

When you can't grift with an IGRT fellowship anymore...

Fellowships are oppressive and neocolonial for minorities

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if this is my ticket to a cushy admin CDO position.

When you can't grift with an IGRT fellowship anymore...

FWIW this is a research fellowship for a PhD graduate not a clinician. But it is still abuse.

"The FY23 minimum is $68,238, and the initial appointment is for one year, with the possibility of renewal"

A below average post-doc salary in Palo Alto, cool. Good times.

"Come research for 1 year in any of our labs on any project, just tell us what you want!"

Im sure this will be very fruitful for the fellow. Treating post-docs (or clinician MD PhDs) like cheap scientific migrant workers while lamenting them all leaving the greatness of academics for industry is one of my favorite current science doublethinks.

Reactions: 4 users
Im sure this will be very fruitful for the fellow. Treating post-docs (or clinician MD PhDs) like cheap scientific migrant workers while lamenting them all leaving the greatness of academics for industry is one of my favorite current science doublethinks.
Been going on for 30 years or more. Floodgates opened to international MD or PhD students and postdocs. Kept the labor in labs on the cheap side. If you think rad oncs have it bad with overproduction, the PhDs are competing with the world -- low pay and low chances at getting funded or a stable faculty position.

Reactions: 2 users
Fellowships are oppressive and neocolonial for minorities
Do these fellowships already exist, but then there is this Diversity fellowship for those who can't make it through the front door to get into the back door? Or is it some extra funding they got to have a diversity fellow in addition to the regular fellows?

Didn't want to create a rad onc climate change thread so figured I'd stick this here

If you really want to positively impact climate change you should do like Kaiser and send patients to hospice ASAP. Less fossil fuel consumption, less electricity used and more resources for the rest of us.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The criminal healthcare conglomerates need time to get their talking points in order.

Interesting question. I'm waiting for NotMattSpraker to weigh in.

That was me weighing in. It was a little bit of a facetious question.

I really do like this effort. There is little downside and hospitals waste a ton of energy and resources. But of course no one really answered my question. I am sure ASTRO will not encourage patients to go to their local community center instead of driving further to Penn's satellite or some proton center.

Reactions: 2 users
That was me weighing in. It was a little bit of a facetious question.

I really do like this effort. There is little downside and hospitals waste a ton of energy and resources. But of course no one really answered my question. I am sure ASTRO will not encourage patients to go to their local community center instead of driving further to Penn's satellite or some proton center.
This is precisely why Penn created the palliative care network accreditation.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't want to create a rad onc climate change thread so figured I'd stick this here

I have forgotten how to do tangents, we do everything with VMAT.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users