Distracting the Children: PEM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS4, 31 years old. Single and no children that I am aware of. Do not know what kids cartoons or movies are popular these days, but want to get some kind of trinket to keep on my stethoscope or my ID badge for the childrens to play with while I'm trying to examine. Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kids virtually always come in with a cartoon on their shirt or with some toy or stuffed animal. Strike up a conversation with them at eye level about that. Generally works to get most kids to trust you and not sream in your face when you want to listen to their heart and lungs.

The versed is actually more for the parents than the kid

Sent from my SM-G928V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Kids virtually always come in with a cartoon on their shirt or with some toy or stuffed animal. Strike up a conversation with them at eye level about that. Generally works to get most kids to trust you and not sream in your face when you want to listen to their heart and lungs.

I was thinking for the age group that doesn't have an intelligible conversations. I forgot the specific ages as soon as I walked out of my Step 2CK so forgive me if I can't be more specific than that lol.

Happy New Year folks :)

I was thinking for the age group that doesn't have an intelligible conversations. I forgot the specific ages as soon as I walked out of my Step 2CK so forgive me if I can't be more specific than that lol.

Happy New Year folks :)

Lab here,
I have this in batman and Elsa from frozen. Some kids dig 'em a lot. Others get wide-eyed and smiley if you blow up a glove like a balloon
a Amazon product

Reactions: 1 users
Lab here,
I have this in batman and Elsa from frozen. Some kids dig 'em a lot. Others get wide-eyed and smiley if you blow up a glove like a balloon
a Amazon product

I have that pen in my laptop bag. And not to impress kids.

Reactions: 3 users
Gloves work great, as to drawings on tongue depressors. Just avoid the clipboard nurses

Man, I don't play with these kids at all. I do the easy stuff first, (skin, lungs, heart, belly with distraction) but as soon as they start crying and getting fussy, I have mom and/or nurse help me hold them down while I quickly finish then I'm out the door to put in orders and hope my next patient is an adult or a cooperative kid.

If it's a lac and/or FB and they are going bonkers in front of me, I'm already calculating my ketamine dose before the mom is even done with the history.

Reactions: 3 users
Kids are funny little things. There are some of them who will never let you do a peaceful exam no matter what you do, you are a scary stranger doctor. I find most kids have a little stranger anxiety and if I go from talking across the room and approaching and then start touching and examining them, they really don't like that. I usually sit next to them while I'm talking to the parents, and have my hands on the bed or somewhere within reach. I sometimes will touch their hand or ask them questions or make fun comments during the interview so they know I'm a friend. Usually this is enough go gain enough trust for a relatively quiet exam but like I said, some kids are very difficult no matter what you do.

Kids are funny little things. There are some of them who will never let you do a peaceful exam no matter what you do, you are a scary stranger doctor. I find most kids have a little stranger anxiety and if I go from talking across the room and approaching and then start touching and examining them, they really don't like that. I usually sit next to them while I'm talking to the parents, and have my hands on the bed or somewhere within reach. I sometimes will touch their hand or ask them questions or make fun comments during the interview so they know I'm a friend. Usually this is enough go gain enough trust for a relatively quiet exam but like I said, some kids are very difficult no matter what you do.

I was that kid. When I was 9 years old I called a nurse "a mammoth bitch" after she did the FSBG on me. My mom smacked the ever loving **** out of me and I learned very fast not to talk to grown-ups like that.

I was that kid. When I was 9 years old I called a nurse "a mammoth bitch" after she did the FSBG on me. My mom smacked the ever loving **** out of me and I learned very fast not to talk to grown-ups like that.

1. "Mammoth Bitch" is a really funny insult.
2. Good on your mom.

Reactions: 4 users
Paw patrol.

Yup. Was sewing a minor face lac and kid began to squirm. I pulled up Paw Patrol on my phone and let him watch. Kid stopped fidgeting. Parents were very thankful.

Reactions: 1 user