Dissertation Analysis Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDGurl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I won't go into too much detail to save you all from boredom but I'm working on my dissertation and have a question about presenting my "findings". I surveyed and tested a bunch of participants in 2 phases. I initially wanted to do a multiple regression analysis but not enough data to do it. So I looked at correlations between a few variables, which address my research questions. My conundrum is, I found something else that was not initially looking for in my research.So my question is: how do I present that in the results section? Do I just add this following the other stuff that answered my research questions? I know I'm not suppose to discuss it until the discussion section but will it seem way out in left field to plop in data on 2 variables that I didn't even consider in the research questions (albeit related)?

Members don't see this ad.

I won't go into too much detail to save you all from boredom but I'm working on my dissertation and have a question about presenting my "findings". I surveyed and tested a bunch of participants in 2 phases. I initially wanted to do a multiple regression analysis but not enough data to do it. So I looked at correlations between a few variables, which address my research questions. My conundrum is, I found something else that was not initially looking for in my research.So my question is: how do I present that in the results section? Do I just add this following the other stuff that answered my research questions? I know I'm not suppose to discuss it until the discussion section but will it seem way out in left field to plop in data on 2 variables that I didn't even consider in the research questions (albeit related)?
*Cough Cough* You could add the new variables to your introduction when describing the purposes of your research and the respective hypotheses. Definitely don't remove any of the original research questions though as that would grab some attention from your committee members.

*Cough Cough* You could add the new variables to your introduction when describing the purposes of your research and the respective hypotheses. Definitely don't remove any of the original research questions though as that would grab some attention from your committee members.

Thank-you that's great advice :) I'm sure I can work the variables into the lit review as well, as I'll need a basis for which to discuss them in the end.

I would advise you not to present these unexpected findings as though they were the result of planned analyses, because that would be untrue. The fact that this practice is rampant doesn't make it acceptable. It's OK to frame these as "exploratory" or post hoc analyses. Ask your advisor for further guidance.