Dispelling a few myths about AA, URMs, and medical admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thundrstorm said:
Now I understand why I've done well academically! My white mother's genes gave me a boost over my black dad's genes. Even though she's a homemaker with a high school level education and he's an executive who worked his way through college, I'm so glad she diluted his ignorant blackness. Plus, I'm obviously more attractive than I would have been with dark skin.

As sacarastic as you meant this comment, I'd bet the overwhelming majority of the folks on this site DO believe that your Mom played a large genetic role in your success, as well deserved as it is.

Members don't see this ad.

genetics is meaningless, everyone is equal. all inequality of outcomes is the result of some form of victimization. hundreds of thousands of years of evolution have led to different skin colors, thats it. 50 years of AA havent changed a thing in disparities. preach on, all

Shredder said:
genetics is meaningless, everyone is equal. all inequality of outcomes is the result of some form of victimization. hundreds of thousands of years of evolution have led to different skin colors, thats it. 50 years of AA havent changed a thing in disparities. preach on, all
Why can you only think in extremes? Your point was refuted about genetics as the cause of differences in measured intelligence, crime, other. So immediately "genetics is meaningless." Typical black/white, with me or against me, mentality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shredder said:
perhaps, but the media responds to consumer demands. theyre in the business of maximizing profit. so in that light, on whose shoulders does the blame lie? media doesnt view people, people view people

and who do you prefer: beyonce, tyra banks, halle berry, vanessa williams or regina king and whoopi goldberg?
I'm sorry. I think im going to have to disagree with bernito and gostudy.....just a bit.

historically, lighter skin women were not only considered more beautiful, but were more readily accepted by the white community as well. in this way, beauty did correlate strongly with social acceptance. Unfortunately, that sentiment has continued into modern times and has not been confined to the white community: it created divides in the black community as well. as a dark skin black girl growing up in the south, it was very apparent that there was a preference for light skin women among black men. (while i am certain this was not always the case everywhere, i refuse to pretend as if this sentiment did not exist within our own community. ideals such as this have been very damaging to many dark skin sistas, inlcuding myself; however with time we learn to define beauty by our inner strength).

Gostudy and Newton, though I truly appreciate that you do not feel this way about dark women, that does not mean that other black men have not.

As a black community, we cannot ignore the prevalence of this ideal and our own contribution to its perpetuation, domestically and around the glode. Lets be real, there are plenty of dark skin individuals here bleaching their skins and many Africans are bleaching their skins until they literally slough off.

IMO, the beauty of darker skin women has become more popular in recent years. Initially, Alek Wek and other models like her were very controversial. I see strength and beauty when I look at her, but I'm certain that she was used as a tool in a world that thirves on originality. The blonde hair, blue eyes look got boring and there was a need for something new.

As far as Shredder's comments go: the media does only portray what the majority of the public wants to see. I remember a time when all advertisements of Black women had fair skin and long hair. I thought I would never see a dark skin woman with natural hair. Now that natural hair has become the craze, we see more natural hair types in advertisments. Dark women and natural hair at one time had been a complete untapped market among many White-run companies. In an attempt to expand market share, we see make-up and hair care companies trying to cater to their needs.

The rest of Shredders comments were out of control and I choose not to bother myself, but I respect his opinions.

MissMary said:
I'm sorry. I think im going to have to disagree with bernito and gostudy.....just a bit...

I don't disagree with you or shredder on the grounds that lighter skinned women have historically been portrayed as desirable. Although, the trend is reversing one only has to look at black women's hair in today's commercials. Usually frizzy or long (I don't know what yall call that style) but hopefully you get what I'm saying. You are both right about this.

My disagreement with shredder had more to with him asserting that beautiful black women are the exception to the norm and the best example of a beautiful dark skinned woman being Whoopi Goldberg.

Alec Wek is NOT attractive, IMHO. Lauren Hill IS, with or without the perm. ;) Two dark skinned women, VERY different "looks".

Sometimes I think folks go overboard with the definition of beauty and this goes for dark and light skin. Everything "dark" isn't "lovely" and everything "light" is "all right". But details of such a discussion would be more appropriately debated on OTHER websites.

Issus of skin shade/color permeate Indian culture much more than African Americans, but I don't see them debating HERE about it! ;)

Just my 2 cents!

1Path said:
Alec Wek is NOT attractive, IMHO. Lauren Hill IS, with or without the perm. ;) Two dark skinned women, VERY different "looks".

Sometimes I think folks go overboard with the definition of beauty and this goes for dark and light skin. Everything "dark" isn't "lovely" and everything "light" is "all right". But details of such a discussion would be more appropriately debated on OTHER websites.

Issus of skin shade/color permeate Indian culture much more than African Americans, but I don't see them debating HERE about it! ;)

Just my 2 cents!

I personally do not find Alek Wek to be ugly; she is just a different type of beauty that we are not use to...
http://www.webmoda.net/imagine/alek_wek.jpg

gostudy said:
I don't disagree with you or shredder on the grounds that lighter skinned women have historically been portrayed as desirable. Although, the trend is reversing one only has to look at black women's hair in today's commercials. Usually frizzy or long (I don't know what yall call that style) but hopefully you get what I'm saying. You are both right about this.

My disagreement with shredder had more to with him asserting that beautiful black women are the exception to the norm and the best example of a beautiful dark skinned woman being Whoopi Goldberg.

:thumbup:

Shredder said:

Do you have any proof of this???

Right. And I agree. I acknowledged that the rest of his comments "out of control" and not even worthy of a respose.

Alec Wek is NOT attractive, IMHO. Lauren Hill IS, with or without the perm. Two dark skinned women, VERY different "looks".

Issus of skin shade/color permeate Indian culture much more than African Americans, but I don't see them debating HERE about it!

Just my 2 cents!

I agree. I was wondering how this discussion got started on this thread in the first place.

I do acknowledge that skin shade issues are a huge debate in India, but I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that they are a larger problem in Indian cultures. I am not that aware of the social ramifications of these discussions in Indian. (I am aware of the plight of the "untouchables", but I believe this may be more of a social heirarchy issue than of a skin thing, correct me if im wrong) so I can't say that one culture is more affected by it than another. I do know that the Rwandan genocide was relatively recent catastrophic outgrowth of these types of ideals constructed by early Europeans.

Members don't see this ad :)
MissMary said:
I do acknowledge that skin shade issues are a huge debate in India, but I am not sure how you come to the conclusion that they are a larger problem in Indian cultures. I am not that aware of the social ramifications of these discussions in Indian. (I am aware of the plight of the "untouchables", but I believe this may be more of a social heirarchy issue than of a skin thing, correct me if im wrong) so I can't say that one culture is more affected by it than another. I do know that the Rwandan genocide was relatively recent catastrophic outgrowth of these types of ideals constructed by early Europeans.

I'm probably more attuned to Indian culture because one of my closest friends is Indian and one of my doctors is as well. Plus, I studied Indian culture in undergrad.

You are right, the culture is more structured on social caste system/economics than it is on skin color, but just like in America, the poorest folks "just happen" to be darker skinned too. As such, it's REAL hard to seperate social and economic inequities from melanin. ;)

1Path said:
I'm probably more attuned to Indian culture because one of my closest friends is Indian and one of my doctors is as well. Plus, I studied Indian culture in undergrad.

You are right, the culture is more structured on social caste system/economics than it is on skin color, but just like in America, the poorest folks "just happen" to be darker skinned too. As such, it's REAL hard to seperate social and economic inequities from melanin. ;)
good to know...thx

So Shredder. What's your definition of an intelligent person? IQ, SAT, MCAT?

Alright so I keep reading these threads about URM's and AA and being silently shocked but not posting anything because, as some have said previously, I highly doubt anyone's opinion is going to change after reading any of this. But just figured I should point out that it's been said before in this thread(and lost track of by whom) that adcoms should base their decisions on MCAT / GPA because we want smarter doctors. But the thing is, MCAT and GPA aren't measures of intelligence. The MCAT specifically tests knowledge of content and how to take a test. Take the MCAT right after you've taken your prereq's and you'll do better. Take it several years after, and you'll do worse. There's the content. And you can train for an MCAT. I did it-- was fortunate enought to be able to take a prep course and my score went up 10 points from my first practice test. Before someone says why don't more URM's do this, consider that most can't afford to do so either because of money, time constraints or both. Oh, and don't bring up the rich URM exception because that is the minority within URM's.

Now as far as all URM's with better stats resenting AA, I'm boricua (Puerto Rican), got a very good MCAT score, had a good GPA and I'm all for AA. I'd love to see more of my people in medical schools. The arguments for why for now this will only happen through AA have been made already. I'll only add the name factor-- although many people want to believe that in these past few decades the world has changed overwhelmingly, I am sure that where AA not in place, many med school applications with Spanish last names or other "ethnic" names would be looked at very differently no matter what score they got on their MCAT.

Any psych majors who still have access to online journals (I graduated 3 years ago so no longer do :( ) you can probably find social psychology studies on things such as: who people most desire to rent to (order is: 1. white, 2. asian, 3. hispanic, 4. black), as well as employers' perceptions of resumes submitted with stereotypically white names and same resumes submitted with stereotypically black names (guess which were viewed more positively?) No, we aren't all equal yet (as far as opportunities before anyone thinks I support this genetics madness that's been posted previously) but it's easy to tell yourself that we are when viewing it from the outside.

Alright, that's all I have to say. I apologize for the length and am sure I will get all sorts of attacks for this but... just couldn't not say something anymore.

xaviera_o said:
Alright so I keep reading these threads about URM's and AA and being silently shocked but not posting anything because, as some have said previously, I highly doubt anyone's opinion is going to change after reading any of this.

True!

MissMary said:
I'm sorry. I think im going to have to disagree with bernito and gostudy.....just a bit.

historically, lighter skin women were not only considered more beautiful, but were more readily accepted by the white community as well. in this way, beauty did correlate strongly with social acceptance. Unfortunately, that sentiment has continued into modern times and has not been confined to the white community: it created divides in the black community as well. as a dark skin black girl growing up in the south, it was very apparent that there was a preference for light skin women among black men. (while i am certain this was not always the case everywhere, i refuse to pretend as if this sentiment did not exist within our own community. ideals such as this have been very damaging to many dark skin sistas, inlcuding myself; however with time we learn to define beauty by our inner strength).

Gostudy and Newton, though I truly appreciate that you do not feel this way about dark women, that does not mean that other black men have not.

As a black community, we cannot ignore the prevalence of this ideal and our own contribution to its perpetuation, domestically and around the glode. Lets be real, there are plenty of dark skin individuals here bleaching their skins and many Africans are bleaching their skins until they literally slough off.

IMO, the beauty of darker skin women has become more popular in recent years. Initially, Alek Wek and other models like her were very controversial. I see strength and beauty when I look at her, but I'm certain that she was used as a tool in a world that thirves on originality. The blonde hair, blue eyes look got boring and there was a need for something new.

As far as Shredder's comments go: the media does only portray what the majority of the public wants to see. I remember a time when all advertisements of Black women had fair skin and long hair. I thought I would never see a dark skin woman with natural hair. Now that natural hair has become the craze, we see more natural hair types in advertisments. Dark women and natural hair at one time had been a complete untapped market among many White-run companies. In an attempt to expand market share, we see make-up and hair care companies trying to cater to their needs.

The rest of Shredders comments were out of control and I choose not to bother myself, but I respect his opinions.
I was thinking more about this over the weekend b/c I saw this show on animal planet that described a study on pheromones. Women in the study preferred men's pheromones (which are encoded on genes near our MHCs) that had MHCs that tended to be the most different from their own. The proposed explanation was that this promoted the species b/c the offspring would have a more diversified immune system.

So I was thinking about this historical preference for lighter skinned females compared to dark females. I wondered if it was rooted in an evolutionary drive to mate with the most fit member of the species. So a lighter skinned female may outwardly appear to have, for example, a mix of anglo and african inheritance, making them more diverse genetically. Beauty is after all an evolutionary product of health, right?

Then of course someone mentioned that in some places in Africa darker skin is preferred, so this theory could be debunked. In this case maybe the explanation is just the (above mentioned) western dominated media influence on the perception of beauty.

(I hope I am not way out of line here. If so, I apologize).

Life and the way we see it is anything but static. At some point in time, bigger women were considered more healthy and attractive (if you are well tuned to old art, this will be no news to you). Somehow that line of thinking was reversed. Today, I do say we are somewhere in the middle and who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't wait for popular culture to tell me what's the next cool. Different people, different cultures, value different traits. If you are a confident, cool woman. Chances are someone will find you attractive. Same goes for men.

Somehow I feel like this conversation is more suited for another website. Oh well. Back to AA.

infiniti said:
Life and the way we see it is anything but static. At some point in time, bigger women were considered more healthy and attractive (if you are well tuned to old art, this will be no news to you). Somehow that line of thinking was reversed. Today, I do say we are somewhere in the middle and who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't wait for popular culture to tell me what's the next cool. Different people, different cultures, value different traits. If you are a confident, cool woman. Chances are someone will find you attractive. Same goes for men.

Somehow I feel like this conversation is more suited for another website. Oh well. Back to AA.

hahah yeah, I was very surprised that it somehow managed to take this direction. :laugh: It just goes to show that there is not much to say about AA… just the same old BS arguments with undertones of jealousy.

Newton Bohr MD said:
hahah yeah, I was very surprised that it somehow managed to take this direction. :laugh: It just goes to show that there is not much to say about AA… just the same old BS arguments with undertones of jealousy.

You are so right. People will always be arguing about how they didn't get theirs.

unoriginal said:
http://www.academia.org/campus_reports/2001/sept_2001_3.html
"At each of the universities included in the study, the median grade point average for blacks was consistently lower than that for whites, and in some cases the discrepancy was extreme."

"For example, at Michigan State University's College of Medicine in 1999, the median grade point average (GPA) for white admittees was 3.61, nearly an A-, while the median GPA for black admittees was 2.93,"

"More disturbing than even the failure rate of minorities on the licensing exam, Clegg asserted, "is that even among the students who ultimately pass the exam it's fair to assume that they are not going to be as successful as doctors as students who are academically better qualified would have been." He continued, "You know one of the responses that we heard to our study was, well, what's wrong with racial and ethnic preferences because no one's going to be qualified to become a doctor unless they pass the exam…as far as patients are concerned, not only will there be fewer doctors, but the doctors who finally do become admitted are not going to be as good. The idea isn't simply to admit students who are able to scrape by with a passing grade after taking the medical exam several times. We should be trying to have the best possible doctors, not doctors who are simply minimally qualified."

"I think that one of the things that is disturbing about this study is that in addition to what it shows about medical schools it also shows the extent to which the use of racial and ethnic preferences at the undergraduate level has been a failure," Clegg concluded. "The claim from the proponents of affirmative action has been you give a slight edge to African American students when they apply to undergraduate school and that's all that will be necessary….Well apparently that's not true."

http://www.nationalreview.com/contributors/clegg040301.shtml
Just how significant? In 1999, the total weighted MCAT score — like the SAT, but for med school — had a gap of 7 to 8 points (out of a possible 67) between the median African-American admittee and median non-African American admittees. Thus, 75 percent of all black students admitted to UMSM's medical school in 1999 had lower MCAT scores than 75 percent of all Hispanics, Asians, and whites admitted that year.

Combining MCAT and GPA data, researchers Lerner and Nagai found that, in 1999, 19 Asians, 2 Hispanics, and 36 whites were rejected despite having higher scores for both than the median black admittee. These 57 students would have made up a significant chunk of the 262-member entering class.

This means that the relative odds of admission favoring a black applicant over a similarly qualified white applicant — that is, the two candidates have identical grades, MCAT scores, residency status (since Maryland prefers in-state students), and parental-alumni status — are 21 to 1. To put this in perspective, consider that the odds favoring a smoker getting cancer over a nonsmoker are only 14 to 1.

Man, this was an awesome post. I wonder why the pro-AA people in this argument didn't respond to it? Was it because the facts show that Affirmative Action allows URMs to take the spots of some non-URMs? Anyway, I want to start off by saying that I am East Asian, and that after reading this thread, as well as the other thread on the MD forum, that many of the arguments that pro-AA people give are complete BS. First of all, you guys talk about how hard it is to be a URM (black or latino), and how none of us know how hard it is to be one? Um...have you considered how freakin' hard it is to be an Asian American? We're (generally) not blessed with the size and athleticism of blacks to be able to dominate in sports and any other physical activity, nor are we blessed with having lived in this country for many generations (as numerous blacks and hispanics have). In addition to racism and discrimination that we face from white people, we have to deal with being bullied by blacks and hispanics for not speaking English and coming from a foreign country. Therefore, the only thing Asians have going for us is hard work and our wits. A lot of non-Asians think Asians WANT to work hard and we're successful in the United States because our parents are rich and had an education. Um...my dad was a waiter and worked in a print-copy company AND went to school full-time at a community college for many years before he was able to get a license and establish his business in America. How many blacks, whites, and hispanics do you see doing that? How much pride do you think my father had to swallow and how much did he have to sacrifice so that his kids can have it good in the United States? I know generalizations are not always true, but generalizations and stereotypes are based off of truths. I accept the fact that people call Asians cheap and physically weak, because it's generally true. Most Asians are cheap and (at least in the United States) physically weak. But the thing is that our Confucian cultural values allow us to succeed through respecting our parents, loving our families, valuing education, and working hard. This is why despite being behind for many decades, East Asia is finally on the rise again and why there are so many successful Asian Americans in this country.

The one thing non-Asians NEVER mention when talking about Asians is that there are, indeed, poor Asians in this country. Look at the thousands of poor Chinese and Vietnamese kids in Chinatowns throughout the country, whose parents work at dead-end jobs like sewing clothes for sweat-shop pay in dark basements, being waiters at restaurants, etc. These children have just as few opportunities for good early (elementary school, middle school) education and whose parents probably have less money than blacks and hispanics but find a way to succeed through their own hard work.

It pisses the crap out of me when URMs bitch an moan about how slavery in the 1800s affected them, or how they're not getting a fair shot in life. Um...why don't you look at Asian Americans? Many of us come to the United States with no money and shed blood and tears for countless years before (if you're lucky) being successful. Instead of spending our money on Air Jordans and gold jewelry, we put our money in the savings account so that we can pay for our kids' education. The last time I looked, the libraries at my top-20 univeristy wasn't filled by hispanics and blacks, but mostly by East and South Asians. Do you think we WANT to spend hours on end studying for biology or saving all our money so that we can't buy decent clothes? We would rather be out in the world doing other things. But the fact is that racism and discrimination both in the educational system and out in the job market forces us to work harder than everyone else. Affirmative action hurts us big time in schools, and racism/discrimination in the job market hurts us out there, so we don't really have a choice but to work hard in academics. In fact, I think the reason why whites (who run this country) even allow affirmative action to exist is because they feel guilty for having slavery, divide minorities apart, and because it's a way to hold Asians down (since it doesn't really help URMs). Quotas are used to suppress Asian enrollment in higher education the same way they were used to keep the number of Jews in universities/medical schools down. The fact that it still exists for Asians seems racist to me. I mean, is it a crime that so many Asians work hard and apply to medical schools? If it were by merrit only, there would be more than 19% Asian enrollment in medical schools.

So yes, it is extremely unfair that Asians have to work 2x as hard as people from other ethnicities just because of our skin color. I think affrimative action does nothing to help blacks and latinos, as shown by the evidence that there hasn't been a rise (or an insignificant one) in URM enrollment in professional schools or universities. The only thing that can help is adopting a culture that values education and family over rap/street-culture. I mean, what good is affirmative action when there aren't enough URMs who are actually in college or even high school to use it? Yes, it is undoubtedly tragic the economic woes that many blacks and hispanics go through, but it's mostly from improper guidance through their early years of life. So instead of affirmative action, we need to implement some other changes upstream. I long for the day in which Asian Americans won't get screwed by the system, in which we use applicant IDs to apply instead of names so that they can't see that you're Asian (i.e. Chang, Sameer, Wong, etc.), and that the race box will be done away with. I also hope that there will be more Asian American managers, large business owners, and politicians. I'll do all there is in my power to get rid of racial affirmative action once I graduate college, but since it's here now, I hope AA extends to sports so that I'll have other people besides Yao Ming to look up to :laugh:

Oh, and one last thing, if you think racism in the US is rough, you should try being an oppressed minority in Eastern European or East Asian countries, and see if complaining to the government would help you any. I think racism in the United States will never end. Caucasians (generally) will always look down upon minorities, and the only thing we can do is work hard and fight to pass laws that end in equality for all people (i.e. using applicant IDs instead of names for both work and school to make acceptance totally color-blind).

ether^O^ said:
Man, this was an awesome post. I wonder why the pro-AA people in this argument didn't respond to it? Was it because the facts show that Affirmative Action allows URMs to take the spots of some non-URMs? Anyway, I want to start off by saying that I am East Asian, and that after reading this thread, as well as the other thread on the MD forum, that many of the arguments that pro-AA people give are complete BS. First of all, you guys talk about how hard it is to be a URM (black or latino), and how none of us know how hard it is to be one? Um...have you considered how freakin' hard it is to be an Asian American? We're (generally) not blessed with the size and athleticism of blacks to be able to dominate in sports and any other physical activity, nor are we blessed with having lived in this country for many generations (as numerous blacks and hispanics have). In addition to racism and discrimination that we face from white people, we have to deal with being bullied by blacks and hispanics for not speaking English and coming from a foreign country. Therefore, the only thing Asians have going for us is hard work and our wits. A lot of non-Asians think Asians WANT to work hard and we're successful in the United States because our parents are rich and had an education. Um...my dad was a waiter and worked in a print-copy company AND went to school full-time at a community college for many years before he was able to get a license and establish his business in America. How many blacks, whites, and hispanics do you see doing that? How much pride do you think my father had to swallow and how much did he have to sacrifice so that his kids can have it good in the United States? I know generalizations are not always true, but generalizations and stereotypes are based off of truths. I accept the fact that people call Asians cheap and physically weak, because it's generally true. Most Asians are cheap and (at least in the United States) physically weak. But the thing is that our Confucian cultural values allow us to succeed through respecting our parents, loving our families, valuing education, and working hard. This is why despite being behind for many decades, East Asia is finally on the rise again and why there are so many successful Asian Americans in this country.

The one thing non-Asians NEVER mention when talking about Asians is that there are, indeed, poor Asians in this country. Look at the thousands of poor Chinese and Vietnamese kids in Chinatowns throughout the country, whose parents work at dead-end jobs like sewing clothes for sweat-shop pay in dark basements, being waiters at restaurants, etc. These children have just as few opportunities for good early (elementary school, middle school) education and whose parents probably have less money than blacks and hispanics but find a way to succeed through their own hard work.

It pisses the crap out of me when URMs bitch an moan about how slavery in the 1800s affected them, or how they're not getting a fair shot in life. Um...why don't you look at Asian Americans? Many of us come to the United States with no money and shed blood and tears for countless years before (if you're lucky) being successful. Instead of spending our money on Air Jordans and gold jewelry, we put our money in the savings account so that we can pay for our kids' education. The last time I looked, the libraries at my top-20 univeristy wasn't filled by hispanics and blacks, but mostly by East and South Asians. Do you think we WANT to spend hours on end studying for biology or saving all our money so that we can't buy decent clothes? We would rather be out in the world doing other things. But the fact is that racism and discrimination both in the educational system and out in the job market forces us to work harder than everyone else. Affirmative action hurts us big time in schools, and racism/discrimination in the job market hurts us out there, so we don't really have a choice but to work hard in academics. In fact, I think the reason why whites (who run this country) even allow affirmative action to exist is because they feel guilty for having slavery, divide minorities apart, and because it's a way to hold Asians down (since it doesn't really help URMs). Quotas are used to suppress Asian enrollment in higher education the same way they were used to keep the number of Jews in universities/medical schools down. The fact that it still exists for Asians seems racist to me. I mean, is it a crime that so many Asians work hard and apply to medical schools? If it were by merrit only, there would be more than 19% Asian enrollment in medical schools.

So yes, it is extremely unfair that Asians have to work 2x as hard as people from other ethnicities just because of our skin color. I think affrimative action does nothing to help blacks and latinos, as shown by the evidence that there hasn't been a rise (or an insignificant one) in URM enrollment in professional schools or universities. The only thing that can help is adopting a culture that values education and family over rap/street-culture. I mean, what good is affirmative action when there aren't enough URMs who are actually in college or even high school to use it? Yes, it is undoubtedly tragic the economic woes that many blacks and hispanics go through, but it's mostly from improper guidance through their early years of life. So instead of affirmative action, we need to implement some other changes upstream. I long for the day in which Asian Americans won't get screwed by the system, in which we use applicant IDs to apply instead of names so that they can't see that you're Asian (i.e. Chang, Sameer, Wong, etc.), and that the race box will be done away with. I also hope that there will be more Asian American managers, large business owners, and politicians. I'll do all there is in my power to get rid of racial affirmative action once I graduate college, but since it's here now, I hope AA extends to sports so that I'll have other people besides Yao Ming to look up to :laugh:

Oh, and one last thing, if you think racism in the US is rough, you should try being an oppressed minority in Eastern European or East Asian countries, and see if complaining to the government would help you any. I think racism in the United States will never end. Caucasians (generally) will always look down upon minorities, and the only thing we can do is work hard and fight to pass laws that end in equality for all people (i.e. using applicant IDs instead of names for both work and school to make acceptance totally color-blind).
Congratulations! :clap: You win the award for the most steroetypes in a single post in SDN history.

1Path said:
but just like in America, the poorest folks "just happen" to be darker skinned too. As such, it's REAL hard to seperate social and economic inequities from melanin. ;)

Historically in all countries in all parts of the world.. most people found lighter skinned people more attractive (even in Anglo countries) because it was an indication of wealth. (ie. you did not have to labor in the sun). But in todays culture, it is the opposite.. that being darker or having the 'eternal dark tan' is very attractive for the same reason.. $$ wealth $$.. cept now it indicates that you have enough $$ to not be indoors (all day slaving under florescent lights of an office/warehouse all day). :)

OzDDS said:
Historically in all countries in all parts of the world.. most people found lighter skinned people more attractive (even in Anglo countries) because it was an indication of wealth. (ie. you did not have to labor in the sun). But in todays culture, it is the opposite.. that being darker or having the 'eternal dark tan' is very attractive for the same reason.. $$ wealth $$.. cept now it indicates that you have enough $$ to not be indoors (all day slaving under florescent lights of an office/warehouse all day). :)
well... let's be clear on what kind of tan is considered widely attractive in our culture. Tanned caucasian skin is not the same as truly dark skin (e.g. African-American skin).

ether^O^ said:

another asian complaining/bragging :sleep: :sleep:

see this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=74452&highlight=asians+succeed

ether^O^ said:

Please take my response as being lesser than a grain of salt:

I am not entirely sure what to make of this post. Yes, I have encountered some really bitter and humuliating incidents in my life - but I don't think we should look at our own history and then use it to belittle another group of our countrymen.

To be honest, I am not a supporter of affirmative action - but sometimes when I carefully listen to some of the stories that some of my black colleagues tell me, I cannot help but meditate on the social fabric of our nation and cry.

And just to drag us off topic a little more....

From my work with inner city homeless individuals, I can tell you from past experience, that we asian folks in general are percived as a rather selfish group of people. Sounds politically incorrect eh? Well, considering that homeless folks don't have too much going for them, and when they tell you what's on their mind, I can only imagine it's comming from the heart.

So do I think that AA is unfair? A little bit unfair - but I also refuse to jump on the eager beaver band wagon and bash the proponents of the AA crowd- why? Cause I have not a clue, not an inkling, not a feather's idea about what the lives of other peoples maybe like. How can I judge others if all the information I have on that person(s) is based on just one side of the story?

It's like writing a thesis paper on a historical figure and not using primary sources. What sort of thesis is it if we use only 3rd person accounts to construct our arguments on this paper? It makes for a weak thesis.

Thus whenever I read of asian folks writing against AA, I am inclined to support the argument - but then I remember sitting down with homeless individuals and getting lectured by them on how selfish and lacking of knowledge I am - and that just clears up all that ignorance that I have allowed to dwell in my heart and mind. Furthermore, I am left wondering how one group of people can so readily write against another group without spending a day in the shoes of the people they are writing against.

So that's my vientos pesos

PS: I got 24 on my MCAT after repeated attempts so that just comes to show that there are also plenty of not so bright asian folks out there too. :laugh:

I believe everyone on this thread needs to watch a television show called "Black/White" on FX channel if you have cable. In the show they have a black family dress up white and a white family dress up black. Then they go into society and see how they are treated. After watching this show you tell me if you still think AA isn't necessary evil. :D be blessed

realtalk said:
I believe everyone on this thread needs to watch a television show called "Black/White" on FX channel if you have cable. In the show they have a black family dress up white and a white family dress up black. Then they go into society and see how they are treated. After watching this show you tell me if you still think AA isn't necessary evil. :D be blessed

Thanks for the notice. I've posted about this show on another thread. I'm not sure my complete opinion of the show, but it gets people (me included) thinking. And I think that's the first step in correcting problems. The link if anyone is curious: http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/blackwhite/main.html.

realtalk said:

To tell the truth, I thought Bruno was a black man before they put the make up on him. Maybe he's just passing. :laugh:

Newton Bohr MD said:

Haha, complaining? Dude, first of all, I don't know if you read my entire post, because I dissed Asians a lot actually (i.e. cheap, willingness to get stepped on, etc.). All I said was that our culture enables us to succeed in modern society, as evidenced by the rising powers in Asia (esp. China and Southeast Asia), and the already wealthy countries of Japan, Singapore, Korea, etc. If I were black and still have Chinese culture, I will 100% be more successful than I am now. In addition to doing well academically, I will also be able to dominate in all the popular sports (which, unfortunately, Asians are generally bad at). Because Asians are 1) a minority 2) are from foreign countries so can't speak the language and don't know the customs 3) generally short 4) generally physically weak, I think we have it worse off in the US than any other race, except that our culture makes us successful. So in that sense, I am not saying Asians are superior at all. I actually want to help Blacks and Hispanics do better in this country, because it is sad that most of the people living in poverty in the US are Blacks and Hispanics. However, affirmative action is not the way to solve this problem (as seen by the stagnant rates of admission in undergraduate/graduate schools for URMs). If URMs want to succeed, they need to reduce the amount of bitching to the White-controlled government who won't help them and rely on themselves instead. I am 100% sure if URMs adopted Confucian culture or something similar to it (focus on education, family values, etc.), then they will do MUCH better than they're doing now. Unfortunately, most URMs are too cocky and will stick with their "street" culture (which I don't want to talk about). Well, the one thing that I'll say about that is that is: you know the message is bad if they're glorifying being poor, addicted to drugs, and banging prostitutes (although reggae-ton and rap have awesome beats).

Not all Asians that come to the US start with an education or are rich to begin with. A lot of us come here because we don't have any opportunities in our home countries and want to make a good living here. So when we first come to the US, we live in small, dingy apartments in Chinatown and work as cooks, waiters, etc., paying our kids through school. Although our lives would not be that great because of our lack of education, our kids will be educated and have good lives. URMs, unfortunately, do not do this. Instead of sacrificing themselves for the next generation, a lot of Blacks do things to make their kids have even WORSE lives, like take/sell drugs, rob/steal, and then get thrown in jail so that the kids have no guidance (1/4 of Black males in the US have been to prison). And I HATE hearing that "oh, I need to sell dope to put food on the table for my kids." That is Bull****!!! Why don't you swallow your pride and work at McDonald's or bag groceries at Safeway? Just because selling drugs makes you a lot of money doesn't justify doing it. Hispanics also screw their kids over by making their kids help them out at their work and drop their education. So instead of helping their kids do better, they are stuck at the same level as their parents, and it goes on and on.

Anyway, I know a lot of what I said was stereotyping, but again, stereotypes are based off truths. The stereotypes I have listed are generally true...if you walk in to a ghetto, almost all of them will be either black or hispanic, and many of them participate in the activities I have listed.

And lastly, that "black/white" show is complete BS. I mean, yes, racism occurs, but it's stupid to make a TV show about it. Like the black guy said, racism is suffered throughout your life...you can't go and look for a few instaces of it, because it's more subtle. I think a lot of the crap on that show is exaggerated (especially the annoying black guy and girl who accuse the whites of being racist, when it wasn't their intention at all...oh, and the white lady talks too much also) :thumbdown:

I'm "hispanic" and I finished in the top 2% of my graduating class at a university with a population that is 83% white. I also scored in the ninety-nine percentile on two out of three sections of the GRE.

We are all soooooooooo stupid.

:laugh:

ether^O^ said:
Haha, complaining? Dude, first of all, I don't know if you read my entire post, because I dissed Asians a lot actually (i.e. cheap, willingness to get stepped on, etc.). All I said was that our culture enables us to succeed in modern society, as evidenced by the rising powers in Asia (esp. China and Southeast Asia), and the already wealthy countries of Japan, Singapore, Korea, etc. If I were black and still have Chinese culture, I will 100% be more successful than I am now. In addition to doing well academically, I will also be able to dominate in all the popular sports (which, unfortunately, Asians are generally bad at). Because Asians are 1) a minority 2) are from foreign countries so can't speak the language and don't know the customs 3) generally short 4) generally physically weak, I think we have it worse off in the US than any other race, except that our culture makes us successful. So in that sense, I am not saying Asians are superior at all. I actually want to help Blacks and Hispanics do better in this country, because it is sad that most of the people living in poverty in the US are Blacks and Hispanics. However, affirmative action is not the way to solve this problem (as seen by the stagnant rates of admission in undergraduate/graduate schools for URMs). If URMs want to succeed, they need to reduce the amount of bitching to the White-controlled government who won't help them and rely on themselves instead. I am 100% sure if URMs adopted Confucian culture or something similar to it (focus on education, family values, etc.), then they will do MUCH better than they're doing now. Unfortunately, most URMs are too cocky and will stick with their "street" culture (which I don't want to talk about). Well, the one thing that I'll say about that is that is: you know the message is bad if they're glorifying being poor, addicted to drugs, and banging prostitutes (although reggae-ton and rap have awesome beats).

Not all Asians that come to the US start with an education or are rich to begin with. A lot of us come here because we don't have any opportunities in our home countries and want to make a good living here. So when we first come to the US, we live in small, dingy apartments in Chinatown and work as cooks, waiters, etc., paying our kids through school. Although our lives would not be that great because of our lack of education, our kids will be educated and have good lives. URMs, unfortunately, do not do this. Instead of sacrificing themselves for the next generation, a lot of Blacks do things to make their kids have even WORSE lives, like take/sell drugs, rob/steal, and then get thrown in jail so that the kids have no guidance (1/4 of Black males in the US have been to prison). And I HATE hearing that "oh, I need to sell dope to put food on the table for my kids." That is Bull****!!! Why don't you swallow your pride and work at McDonald's or bag groceries at Safeway? Just because selling drugs makes you a lot of money doesn't justify doing it. Hispanics also screw their kids over by making their kids help them out at their work and drop their education. So instead of helping their kids do better, they are stuck at the same level as their parents, and it goes on and on.

Anyway, I know a lot of what I said was stereotyping, but again, stereotypes are based off truths. The stereotypes I have listed are generally true...if you walk in to a ghetto, almost all of them will be either black or hispanic, and many of them participate in the activities I have listed.

And lastly, that "black/white" show is complete BS. I mean, yes, racism occurs, but it's stupid to make a TV show about it. Like the black guy said, racism is suffered throughout your life...you can't go and look for a few instaces of it, because it's more subtle. I think a lot of the crap on that show is exaggerated (especially the annoying black guy and girl who accuse the whites of being racist, when it wasn't their intention at all...oh, and the white lady talks too much also) :thumbdown:

ok, so what is your plan for getting 2300 blacks(~13%) and 2300 hispanics in medical school?? How are you going to get 6000 blacks and hispanics in the postition to apply??

Well, the concept is simple, but practice might be difficult. I think what needs to happen is condemnation of rappers and leaders of the black community that only want fame and fortune for themselves. Rap teaches kids that it's cool to murder, run from the 4-0, rob, treat women as sex objects, be a pimp, do drugs, etc. Because the father figure usually isn't around the black family household, they get raised by their moms, rappers & nba players on tv, and their friends who reinforce what rappers say. So it's a pretty crappy situation out there. Also, you got assho!es like al sharpton and jesse jackson who bitch and complain all day about equality and condemn white people, when what they should be doing is promoting education for the kids and telling the blacks to work hard and help themselves instead of fighting for the equality that will never really come because whites will always be racist towards minorities like us. Instead of revering and admiring black doctors and other professionals, blacks say that they're becoming "white" and regard them with an "are you too good for me?" attitude. Therefore, blacks perpetually keep themselves down with their role models and stereotypes. Only when they stop idolizing rappers, gangsters, and ballers and wanting to be these people when they grow up can they change for the better.

ether^O^ said:
Well, the concept is simple, but practice might be difficult. I think what needs to happen is condemnation of rappers and leaders of the black community that only want fame and fortune for themselves. Rap teaches kids that it's cool to murder, run from the 4-0, rob, treat women as sex objects, be a pimp, do drugs, etc. Because the father figure usually isn't around the black family household, they get raised by their moms, rappers & nba players on tv, and their friends who reinforce what rappers say. So it's a pretty crappy situation out there. Also, you got assho!es like al sharpton and jesse jackson who bitch and complain all day about equality and condemn white people, when what they should be doing is promoting education for the kids and telling the blacks to work hard and help themselves instead of fighting for the equality that will never really come because whites will always be racist towards minorities like us. Instead of revering and admiring black doctors and other professionals, blacks say that they're becoming "white" and regard them with an "are you too good for me?" attitude. Therefore, blacks perpetually keep themselves down with their role models and stereotypes. Only when they stop idolizing rappers, gangsters, and ballers and wanting to be these people when they grow up can they change for the better.

Hi there,
It's an odd thing but the majority of black folks can understand that rappers are for entertainment purposes. We are also able to think for ourselves and do not blindly follow anyone who advocates breaking the law. Many black children grow up in households that have both father and mother (I did) and many of us do fairly well in school (good undergrad GPA, good graduate GPA, Alpha Omega Alpha in medical school and finishing surgical residency). Some us graduate Summa Cum Laude and listen to rap music too. ;)

The exception is to idolize rappers and gangsters in the African-American community but I suspect that your knowledge of the African-American community is through what you see on the telly. There's a healthy law-abiding African-American middle class out there that is doing just fine. We send our children to school and we listen to Tupac, Nelly and 50 Cent because it's entertainment and not a role model any more than every Caucasion "leader" or musician is a role model for whites.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
It's an odd thing but the majority of black folks can understand that rappers are for entertainment purposes. We are also able to think for ourselves and do not blindly follow anyone who advocates breaking the law. Many black children grow up in households that have both father and mother (I did) and many of us do fairly well in school (good undergrad GPA, good graduate GPA, Alpha Omega Alpha in medical school and finishing surgical residency). Some us graduate Summa Cum Laude and listen to rap music too. ;)

The exception is to idolize rappers and gangsters in the African-American community but I suspect that your knowledge of the African-American community is through what you see on the telly. There's a healthy law-abiding African-American middle class out there that is doing just fine. We send our children to school and we listen to Tupac, Nelly and 50 Cent because it's entertainment and not a role model any more than every Caucasion "leader" or musician is a role model for whites.

I think you're mistaken. There is a good number of extremely wealthy black Americans (Oprah, Michael Jordan, and other athletes/entertainers), but there are NOT a lot of middle-class blacks. I mean, I'm glad that you did so well throughout your studies, but tell me: How many other blacks were there in your college and medical school classes? I'm certain it would be fewer than 10% if you went to a good college/med school. Therefore, you are the exception, not the rule (if you don't agree, look at the average income for blacks, the # of blacks in poverty (and percentage), and the # of blacks in the wealthiest Americans list).

njbmd said:
Hi there,

:thumbup:

ether^O^ said:

John Mcwhorter is that you?? :laugh:

I'm not quite sure where to start here.

ether^O^ said:
I actually want to help Blacks and Hispanics do better in this country, because it is sad that most of the people living in poverty in the US are Blacks and Hispanics.
And how will you help them, by assuming things based on their racial classification and then whining about it on the internet? While it is true that a disproportionate number of non-white Americans live in poverty, it is also true that various social factors have historically contributed to this situation. Perhaps you are not aware that the percentage of black Americans living under the poverty line has steadily decreased over the last 50 years.

Unfortunately, most URMs are too cocky and will stick with their "street" culture (which I don't want to talk about). Well, the one thing that I'll say about that is that is: you know the message is bad if they're glorifying being poor, addicted to drugs, and banging prostitutes (although reggae-ton and rap have awesome beats).
Do you actually know any URMs? And do you honestly believe that black and latino culture is synonymous with "street" culture? You appear to be very uninformed.

Instead of sacrificing themselves for the next generation, a lot of Blacks do things to make their kids have even WORSE lives, like take/sell drugs, rob/steal, and then get thrown in jail so that the kids have no guidance (1/4 of Black males in the US have been to prison). And I HATE hearing that "oh, I need to sell dope to put food on the table for my kids." That is Bull****!!! Why don't you swallow your pride and work at McDonald's or bag groceries at Safeway? Just because selling drugs makes you a lot of money doesn't justify doing it. Hispanics also screw their kids over by making their kids help them out at their work and drop their education. So instead of helping their kids do better, they are stuck at the same level as their parents, and it goes on and on.
Seriously, do you actually know any black people? As for your McDonalds comment, do you know what people make at McDonalds? It's not a living wage. But perhaps you are not familiar with the term "the working poor." And I can assure that not all parents of Hispanic origine make their kids work for them. :rolleyes:

Been to many ghettos, have you? I know black AND white people living in housing projects, so maybe all of the many ghettos you've visited just happened to be in the wrong area. Stereotypes are based in ignorance and prejudice, not truth.

I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment on that. But I will say this: racism is not always subtle; it can be very blatant and horrific. There's no need to exaggerate it because there is plenty of racism in the world anyway. And although it is commendable to succeed despite prejudice, there is nothing wrong with confronting it. No one has to deem racism an acceptable fact of life.

ether^O^ said:

5-0...not the 4-0 :laugh:

ether^O^ said:
I think you're mistaken. There is a good number of extremely wealthy black Americans (Oprah, Michael Jordan, and other athletes/entertainers), but there are NOT a lot of middle-class blacks. I mean, I'm glad that you did so well throughout your studies, but tell me: How many other blacks were there in your college and medical school classes? I'm certain it would be fewer than 10% if you went to a good college/med school. Therefore, you are the exception, not the rule (if you don't agree, look at the average income for blacks, the # of blacks in poverty (and percentage), and the # of blacks in the wealthiest Americans list).

You are mistaken..remember that an "average" is just that and it accounts for a whole spectrum of data. In every major city esp. Atlanta, Washington DC, Houston, Durham NC etc. there are large affluent black populations.

Thundrstorm said:
I'm not quite sure where to start here.

And how will you help them, by assuming things based on their racial classification and then whining about it on the internet? While it is true that a disproportionate number of non-white Americans live in poverty, it is also true that various social factors have historically contributed to this situation. Perhaps you are not aware that the percentage of black Americans living under the poverty line has steadily decreased over the last 50 years.

Do you actually know any URMs? And do you honestly believe that black and latino culture is synonymous with "street" culture? You appear to be very uninformed.

Seriously, do you actually know any black people? As for your McDonalds comment, do you know what people make at McDonalds? It's not a living wage. But perhaps you are not familiar with the term "the working poor." And I can assure that not all parents of Hispanic origine make their kids work for them. :rolleyes:

Been to many ghettos, have you? I know black AND white people living in housing projects, so maybe all of the many ghettos you've visited just happened to be in the wrong area. Stereotypes are based in ignorance and prejudice, not truth.

I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment on that. But I will say this: racism is not always subtle; it can be very blatant and horrific. There's no need to exaggerate it because there is plenty of racism in the world anyway. And although it is commendable to succeed despite prejudice, there is nothing wrong with confronting it. No one has to deem racism an acceptable fact of life.

Most ghettos around me are almost all African-American (I live near Oakland), and I've been told by friends that it's similar in Cincinnati, Detroit, etc. I'm sure that if you really wanted to live off McDonald's pay, you can. Sure, you can't live like a king on $6.00 an hour, but I've seen many people in China live off (the equivalent of) even lower wages. Um...if stereotypes are based in "arrogance" and "prejudice", how did they come up in the first place? And I certainly never said ALL hispanics kids are forced to work for their parents, just many. Ok, I'll give you a challenge. Look in your nearest neighborhood ghetto (there's one in every major city) and look at what race makes up the vast majority. I also want you to make a friend who is Chinese, like an immigrant from China (which many be difficult depending on your personality and your location). Within several months of really getting to know him, tell me if he's not cheap. And lastly, if you guys think that URMs (esp blacks) have doing so well in the USA, why do we need affirmative action in the first place? I demand a report back in 3 months, exactly :laugh:

I wanted to make one point about hispanics after reading all of the negative stereotypes on this thread.

I'm from an area with many Mexicans and descendants of Mexicans. I've noticed that the families with roots closer to Mexico tend to be poor and the families that are several generations removed from Mexico tend to be middle class or better. This is not true for everyone, but it is for most people.

I think the trend is for Mexicans to come over here (often illegally) and work low paying jobs that pay cash and have no benefits. The next generation moves up some but may be held down by the lack of a college degree. By the 3rd or 4th generation they are graduating from college and making good money just like the white people.

The point of my post is that Mexicans, at least the families that I know, are not in a perpetual cycle of poverty. It just seems that way to outsiders because there is a constant flow of new people from Mexico that are poor.

ether^O^ said:
Most ghettos around me are almost all African-American (I live near Oakland), and I've been told by friends that it's similar in Cincinnati, Detroit, etc.
Well, what is the racial makeup of most poor rural areas in this country? Not all poor Americans live in ghettos. Anyway, you missed my original point, which is that not all black Americans live in ghettos.

I'm sure that if you really wanted to live off McDonald's pay, you can. Sure, you can't live like a king on $6.00 an hour, but I've seen many people in China live off (the equivalent of) even lower wages.
Oh, you're SURE? Have you ever tried to support yourself (and possibly children) off of $6/hr? It's not as easy as you think. And seeing as that this is not China, where the cost of living and the economic system is different, your comparison is not really relevant. Are you aware that millions of Americans work for a living and yet live below the poverty line? Minimum wage is not truly a living wage.

Um...if stereotypes are based in "arrogance" and "prejudice", how did they come up in the first place?
Actually, I said "ignorance," not "arrogance." There's a reason why we have different words in the English language for "stereotype" and "fact," They don't mean the same thing. Stereotypes, which may be generated from particular personal experiences, are problematic because they apply either an inaccurate idea or an idea that is only accurate on a small-scale to a large population. Generalizations, inaccuracy, bias, simplification, exaggeration... these all twist what may have started as a kernel of truth (or what may have started as a complete fabrication based on ignorance or hate). In any event, it is both unwise and offensive to interact with others based on stereotypes.

Ok, I'll give you a challenge. Look in your nearest neighborhood ghetto (there's one in every major city) and look at what race makes up the vast majority.
I live in the DC area, which would skew the experiment. But anyway, as I said above, my intent was simply to admonish you not to jump from "Ghettos are predominately black.' to "Blacks are predominately in gehttos."

I also want you to make a friend who is Chinese, like an immigrant from China (which many be difficult depending on your personality and your location). Within several months of really getting to know him, tell me if he's not cheap.
I know Chinese people. but I'd rather not stereotype them, thanks.

And lastly, if you guys think that URMs (esp blacks) have doing so well in the USA, why do we need affirmative action in the first place? I demand a report back in 3 months, exactly :laugh:
I never said we needed affirmative action; I merely felt it necessary to correct your many ignorant viewpoints on people unlike yourself.

Thundrstorm said:
Well, what is the racial makeup of most poor rural areas in this country? Not all poor Americans live in ghettos. Anyway, you missed my original point, which is that not all black Americans live in ghettos.

Oh, you're SURE? Have you ever tried to support yourself (and possibly children) off of $6/hr? It's not as easy as you think. And seeing as that this is not China, where the cost of living and the economic system is different, your comparison is not really relevant. Are you aware that millions of Americans work for a living and yet live below the poverty line? Minimum wage is not truly a living wage.

Actually, I said "ignorance," not "arrogance." There's a reason why we have different words in the English language for "stereotype" and "fact," They don't mean the same thing. Stereotypes, which may be generated from particular personal experiences, are problematic because they apply either an inaccurate idea or an idea that is only accurate on a small-scale to a large population. Generalizations, inaccuracy, bias, simplification, exaggeration... these all twist what may have started as a kernel of truth (or what may have started as a complete fabrication based on ignorance or hate). In any event, it is both unwise and offensive to interact with others based on stereotypes.

I live in the DC area, which would skew the experiment. But anyway, as I said above, my intent was simply to admonish you not to jump from "Ghettos are predominately black.' to "Blacks are predominately in gehttos."

I know Chinese people. but I'd rather not stereotype them, thanks.

I never said we needed affirmative action; I merely felt it necessary to correct your many ignorant viewpoints on people unlike yourself.

hahaha, you know, this is getting kind of funny, so I'm just gonna agree to disagree after this post. I just wanted to say, though, that I never said all blacks live in ghettos. I know a good number of wealthy African Americans, I just said that ghettos are predominantly black. And yes, I think I can support myself on $6/hr., because, as you know, there are a lot of illegal immigrants who survive off a below-minimum-wage salary. It's not pretty, but it's doable. And I said the equivalent of $6/hr. in China, which takes into account the different costs of living. And lastly, generalizations and stereotypes actually CAN be given to certain groups of people, because it's true for most of them! For example, would you stereotype KKK members as ignorant, minority-hating people who live in the American midwest or south? Yes, because it's mostly true! Would you stereotype CEOs as middle-aged white guys who are greedy? Yes, because it's mostly true! Having been to many parts of the world, I can say that America is the only place where people are so damn sensitive about race. In China, it's ok to say to people that the Han people (majority of the pop) are shrewd and intelligent or that this other ethnicity is this-and-that and not have people think you're a bigot. Same goes in Korea, Japan, etc. Stereotypes can sometimes help one survive, because imagine if you owned a liquor store in the ghetto, and every time a black kid came in he would steal something. And when several more black kids stole something, wouldn't it be helpful to say, "hm...maybe I should be alert when black kids come into my store, because they might steal something?" I guess you can call it stereotyping, but wouldn't it protect you from losing money?

Of course, not all stereotypes are true. You do see successful URMs like Rice, Powell, and a bunch of people on SDN, but they definitely do NOT make up the majority of URMs in this country.

Newton Bohr MD said:
John Mcwhorter is that you?? :laugh:

Anyone know what the general consensus amongst the black population is on John McWhorter? Just curious...

autoimmunity said:
Anyone know what the general consensus amongst the black population is on John McWhorter? Just curious...

I don't think there is a consensus. IMHO, John McWhorter is right, but his main point is not about villifying rap (which I think people cling to when they have already given up on their other dreams). It is about rejecting the idea of victimhood. African-Americans were held down so long that many forgot how to walk. It is a painful process, but a necessary one. I know people in racially mixed environment where no one cares about their race whining that everyone is racist. In conjunction with restructuring of public education, the changes McWhorter recommends are the only one that will truly abolish the "need" for affirmative action.