Nursing shortage and admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemurcatta

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This article just came out on CNN’s website. It claims a massive nursing shortage in the US, and bemoans the fact that applicants are being turned away from nursing schools. There is “intense competition” as evidenced by “262 applicants for 60 slots.” Another program quoted in the article says they turn away one student for every one they accept. The story highlights a student in Southern California (where we have many many RN programs, including for profit that enroll you as soon as you pay your tuition). This student (Kay) has been trying for years to get into a community college RN program after working as a surgical assistant. Kay is upset there are “so many hurdles” to getting in. The overall moral of the article was we need to expand class sizes and get more people into programs to fill

I’ve worked as a paramedic in Southern California for about a decade. I have many friends that are RNs here- some new ones have trouble getting hired. It’s also a bit funny that the article claims that 22-50% acceptance rates represent “intense” competition for entry.. my PA program had over 2,000 applicants for 40 spots.

Anyways, wanted to get other viewpoints. Is there a critical RN shortage in your area or hospital? If so, what kind of environment do you work in?

Members don't see this ad.