Dismissed from rotation for plagiarism, damage control?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a pharm student, and don't want to post this in pharmacy thread for fear of being recognized. I had a journal club article due last Monday, and forgot about it until 4 am that morning. So I used wikipedia and another journal club article I found on the same trial. Yesterday I had to discuss it with my professor and she said I would be dismissed from her rotation with an F (the rotation is 5 weeks). I will have to make it up next semester.

What do I tell my classmates when they ask why I wasn't there? Do I tell them the truth? Or make something up? I'm already graduating a semester late due to personal reasons

Members don't see this ad.

Troll? No ones this stupid, right?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless your school has some weird policy, it's not the business of anyone but you and the administration. You can just say personal reasons. The benefit of that answer is that you're not lying.

You made a bad decision and gave in to doing something unethical. Figure out why you did it, and recognize that that's no excuse and doesn't warrant the action. If you were in a situation where the action might be considered reasonable by others, such as the sudden death of a family member, the administration would probably work with you (my point is that there isn't a situation that would warrant the action). Find a way to stay organized if you actually think organization was the issue. Try lists for your assignments or reminders on your computer/phone.

Reactions: 4 users
Say you're taking an extensive break from rotations to write an article

Reactions: 20 users
I'd sympathize, but you're a penguins fan.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 19 users
So I'm a pharm student, and don't want to post this in pharmacy thread for fear of being recognized. I had a journal club article due last Monday, and forgot about it until 4 am that morning. So I used wikipedia and another journal club article I found on the same trial. Yesterday I had to discuss it with my professor and she said I would be dismissed from her rotation with an F (the rotation is 5 weeks). I will have to make it up next semester.

What do I tell my classmates when they ask why I wasn't there? Do I tell them the truth? Or make something up? I'm already graduating a semester late due to personal reasons
Ha. I don't know about everyone else, but I lurk in this part of SDN pretty regularly.

I don't think your classmates will care or even notice since you're behind already.
More importantly, if this was a core rotation (gen med, ID, amb care, etc...) I'd be more worried about your preceptor talking / asking about you with other faculty & pharmacists.
(Read: people that will be interviewing you when you graduate)

What I would recommend is totally re-doing the article the right way or otherwise trying to demonstrate to the person that's dropping an F on you that you're not a garbage student.

Reactions: 1 user
Just weep uncontrollably whenever someone asks, it will get awkward for them and they will stop

Reactions: 11 users
Those that matter don't care and those who care don't matter. Stop caring about what people think about you. Just be grateful you weren't expelled.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, I was walking down the hall today and the professor was approaching, I looked at he/she and they actually walked around some furniture to distance themself from me but still get to where they were going. I'm sorry, but something is wrong if the professor can't even interact with me. I wanted to do a residency but that might be a reach now. I do have work experience and connections, but a big fat F on my transcript is just an easy criterion for throwing out my application.

Having lived through this, but in a different situation, the Professor may have been following order to avoid you unless another faculty member is present, in order to avoid possible litigation issues. The Professor may also fear physical retaliation from you. It's happened.

And don't forget that actions have consequences, and that you and only you put yourself in the mess that you're in. You own this.

Well, I was walking down the hall today and the professor was approaching, I looked at he/she and they actually walked around some furniture to distance themself from me but still get to where they were going. I'm sorry, but something is wrong if the professor can't even interact with me. I wanted to do a residency but that might be a reach now. I do have work experience and connections, but a big fat F on my transcript is just an easy criterion for throwing out my application.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Idk how pharm school works, but wouldn't academic dishonesty be commented on in your Dean's letter when applying for residency? It's not just a fail and retake on the transcript right?

Sorry for his or her reaction. Sad that even acknowledging you or saying "hi" is "too confrontational." You screwed up and this person did what he or she was supposed to do to maintain fairness and credibility within the program. There's nothing wrong with that and there's no reason you two can't have a conversation or even say hello to one another. Have you thought about trying to make another effort? You could do that assignment the proper way and go turn it in to your professor. Explain that you don't want a grade and there's no expectations. You wanted to show that you respect him or her and are again sorry for your actions. Just ask that they read it so they know you did it in a legitimate way or something like that. This gets you a face to face interaction and it shows you're trying to do the right thing.

Didn't read Goros post...I guess you could just drop the paper in their mailbox with a signed apology note, then follow up with an email.

I'm concerned why your biggest worry seems to be other people's perceptions of you because academic dishonesty and its professional ramifications seem like a much bigger deal. posting in another forum, debating what to tell your classmates, worrying about graduating later all point to your "image" being the foremost concern here.

I also detect a hint of entitlement and no apologetic sentiments from your "I'm sorry, but something is wrong if the professor can't even interact with me." I could be interpreting your text tone incorrectly, but this is an error you are completely responsible for; the professional and personal consequences all stem from that.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm concerned why your biggest worry seems to be other people's perceptions of you because academic dishonesty and its professional ramifications seem like a much bigger deal. posting in another forum, debating what to tell your classmates, worrying about graduating later all point to your "image" being the foremost concern here.

I also detect a hint of entitlement and no apologetic sentiments from your "I'm sorry, but something is wrong if the professor can't even interact with me." I could be interpreting your text tone incorrectly, but this is an error you are completely responsible for; the professional and personal consequences all stem from that.
Bruh, you must be new to medicine. We're judged like slabs of meat 24/7. The whole "don't care what anyone else thinks" mentality just doesn't work in this field.

Bruh, you must be new to medicine. We're judged like slabs of meat 24/7. The whole "don't care what anyone else thinks" mentality just doesn't work in this field.

You completely missed his point.

Idk how pharm school works, but wouldn't academic dishonesty be commented on in your Dean's letter when applying for residency? It's not just a fail and retake on the transcript right?
Probably more institution-specific (and even maybe professor specific) than field specific. Unless the student challenges it, what stops a professor from failing a student without pursuing a formal institutional action? This would allow it to be just a fail and retake on the student's record.

You tell your classmates what you want to, and you tell the people who ask you about it the truth. You gotta own this if there is no way out.

You have to have concrete evidence of why the person failed. What would a professor say if sued, for example?

Probably more institution-specific (and even maybe professor specific) than field specific. Unless the student challenges it, what stops a professor from failing a student without pursuing a formal institutional action? This would allow it to be just a fail and retake on the student's record.

Having lived through this, but in a different situation, the Professor may have been following order to avoid you unless another faculty member is present, in order to avoid possible litigation issues. The Professor may also fear physical retaliation from you. It's happened.

And don't forget that actions have consequences, and that you and only you put yourself in the mess that you're in. You own this.
"Physical retaliation"
:eek::confused:

if this cheating incident goes to your record, your dream of residency might be no longer possible. But, pharmacist does not need to do residency to practice pharmacy, so you probably have to settle in retail pharmacy then.

You have to have concrete evidence of why the person failed. What would a professor say if sued, for example?
Whatever proof the professor would have used to pursue IA is the proof they would use in a lawsuit. My point/question was what if the professor simply chooses not to pursue IA and keep all the evidence of cheating between them and the student?

That's between the professor and the student, then.

Whatever proof the professor would have used to pursue IA is the proof they would use in a lawsuit. My point/question was what if the professor simply chooses not to pursue IA and keep all the evidence of cheating between them and the student?