Dismissed and kind of lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HerbaceousHerb

Reaction score
kind of a venting post. I got dismissed from PT school in my first term. I am devastated. Our school starts in the summer term with anatomy being the reason why I got dismissed. I got F in both lab and lecture and one F is automatic dismissal. The worst part is I do not even have an excuse. I did my best and it was just not good enough. I studied all the time, I went to office hours to help, and I tried out my professors suggestions for studying. I just don’t think 5 weeks was enough time for me to save my grade I guess. I do not know what to do anymore. I still want to do PT, but if I can’t even pass anatomy, what is the point? Feeling really discouraged, I want to try again but I am not confident that another school will take me considering my dismissal. I would appeal, but again I do not have an extraordinary circumstance that will make them take me back. I do not even know how to tell my professors that wrote me recommendations that I failed. If I were to do something else I am not sure what I would even do since I have been focused on PT for so long. Starting to regret my degree in kinesiology…

Members don't see this ad.

First, I very much feel your pain with having a kinesiology degree.

Anyways, I think it's always worth a try to appeal. Coming in with a plan on how you will make this time different may be your argument.
In terms of a different school, also worth a try. I vaguely remember seeing stories of people re-entering despite dismissal from another school. Just maybe be strategic if cost is an issue. I heard that newer schools are a lot more lax in terms of acceptance. The ones that just recently got accredited or ones working on getting credited. There's just the risk of it not being accredited.

In terms of backups, just in case. I actually had a conversation with a personal trainer recently and he does a lot of similar things to PT. In terms of working post-injury and a lot of post-PT, maintenance. Albeit, it was a brief convo and superficial so I don't exactly know the depth of similarities and differences. That could be an avenue to explore. Save yourself from debt this way.
Exercise physiology was always a backup for me. I've considered prosthetics/orthotics too.

Wishing you the best.

Reactions: 1 user
First, I very much feel your pain with having a kinesiology degree.

Anyways, I think it's always worth a try to appeal. Coming in with a plan on how you will make this time different may be your argument.
In terms of a different school, also worth a try. I vaguely remember seeing stories of people re-entering despite dismissal from another school. Just maybe be strategic if cost is an issue. I heard that newer schools are a lot more lax in terms of acceptance. The ones that just recently got accredited or ones working on getting credited. There's just the risk of it not being accredited.

In terms of backups, just in case. I actually had a conversation with a personal trainer recently and he does a lot of similar things to PT. In terms of working post-injury and a lot of post-PT, maintenance. Albeit, it was a brief convo and superficial so I don't exactly know the depth of similarities and differences. That could be an avenue to explore. Save yourself from debt this way.
Exercise physiology was always a backup for me. I've considered prosthetics/orthotics too.

Wishing you the best.
Just as a side note - I went to a school that was working on getting accredited (they did) and they were actually much MORE strict about acceptance. Look at this way. They need to demonstrate that they can successfully graduate students that will pass the boards - they need to demonstrate exceptional stats since they do not have an established reputation. They were very hard on us, but we graduated with 100% of our class intact and 100% boards pass rate.

kind of a venting post. I got dismissed from PT school in my first term. I am devastated. Our school starts in the summer term with anatomy being the reason why I got dismissed. I got F in both lab and lecture and one F is automatic dismissal. The worst part is I do not even have an excuse. I did my best and it was just not good enough. I studied all the time, I went to office hours to help, and I tried out my professors suggestions for studying. I just don’t think 5 weeks was enough time for me to save my grade I guess. I do not know what to do anymore. I still want to do PT, but if I can’t even pass anatomy, what is the point? Feeling really discouraged, I want to try again but I am not confident that another school will take me considering my dismissal. I would appeal, but again I do not have an extraordinary circumstance that will make them take me back. I do not even know how to tell my professors that wrote me recommendations that I failed. If I were to do something else I am not sure what I would even do since I have been focused on PT for so long. Starting to regret my degree in kinesiology…
Hey there. I know I'm year late to this post, but I wanted to give my 2 cents anyways. I come from a very similar situation. I started PT school in summer 2021 and had to take a full gross anatomy over 10 weeks. It was brutal, and I was failing so I decided to drop the class and finish my others ones in that semester. Since I dropped gross, I had to sit out a year after summer semester ended and start back with the next cohort to retake it. I came back in 2022 to retake it, did well and continued onto the next semester but ended up getting dismissed during the fall for getting 6 credits of C's and letting my GPA drop below a 3.0 for two semesters. After that, I gave up on PT for a while. I tried working in other fields, and nothing felt quite as fulfilling. I finally decided to called up an old classmate who got dismissed as well and see where he ended up. He actually got into another school a year later–William Carey in Hattiesburg. I also found out from another friend who went to Harding that her classmate failed out the first year then reapplied the next year to a school in Florida, and she got in. It gave me hope to keep trying. I have no major reason for failing out either other than having severe ADHD and test anxiety and getting overwhelmed to the point of just breaking down. I am currently working part-time as a PT tech again and getting my MBA at the same time. I am teching to get new letters of recommendations since PTCAS refreshes them every cycle, while the MBA will be a fall back incase I don't get in anywhere next year. Anyways, I just wanted to say if you feel like it's your calling, maybe don't give up yet. Research other programs that have better learning resources and look into finding a tutor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user