Discouraging Undergraduate Advisor..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jslay941

Reaction score
So as we have it my undergraduate advisor just sent me a discouraging email.

Basically states following;

Medical school not realistic.

I knew x person that applied with biology degree, high gpa like yours, competitive MCAT score. They didnt get in first time, they even had experience in blood processing lab. They had to work additional year at that Lab. Got in second time.

We should talk.

End of email.

So a little about me grew up dysfunctional family. Non- Traditional Student. 37 year old Female. No kids, husband, pets to tie me down. Low Income.

Psychology major, with English minor. Have taken up to calculus II, but dont have required sciences like bio,chem,org chem, physics.

I will graduate with 3.8-3.9 GPA this Dec.

I have some extracurricular activities such ad founding a chapter of Psi Chi. Being a member of Sigma Tau Delta.

0 job shadowing/volunteer hours in medical field.

(But I have applied to Job Shadow, and volunteer in local hospital)

I have applied to a Pre Med Post Bacc program at a school in Philadelphia.

This school has a boasted over 90 percent placement rate into medical school.

Even, though my undergraduate advisor is being discouraging. I propose the question of should I do it?

I know I can handle the courses. Or at least think I can.

Members don't see this ad.

I might be missing something but your gpa is great and I don’t think you mentioned your mcat but if it’s on par with your gpa then you’re in a really good position. It seems that all you’re missing is clinical experience but you said that you already plan on not applying for a few years so you have plenty of time to accrue a reasonable # of hours

edit:i think the general recommendation is 50 hours of shadowing and as many hours of volunteering in something that you find rewarding/meaningful as you can fit in

Reactions: 1 user
I might be missing something but your gpa is great and I don’t think you mentioned your mcat but if it’s on par with your gpa then you’re in a really good position. It seems that all you’re missing is clinical experience but you said that you already plan on not applying for a few years so you have plenty of time to accrue a reasonable # of hours
Havent taken the MCAT , but plan to upon completion of pre med post bacc program

Members don't see this ad :)
Havent taken the MCAT , but plan to upon completion of pre med post bacc program
Why do you feel that it’s necessary to do a post bac? They’re typically used by students who have subpar GPAs and need to show that they can handle the rigors of med school but you said yours is nearing a 3.9. Imo your time would be better utilized studying for the mcat and gaining clinical experiences than enrolling in a post bac which you don’t particularly need. Is it a formal post bac or are you just taking the prerequisites?

Because I do not have the required sciences such as bio,chem, org chem, physics.

Because I do not have the required sciences such as bio,chem, org chem, physics.
Is it a formal program or are you just taking the prereqs? I was in a similar position as you are and it was considerably less expensive and easier to just take the prereqs spread out over 2.5 semesters than to enroll in an smp

Formal program, in particular looking at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.

Screenshot_20191201-184629~2.png

I this is my current transcript, I however did drop 3 of the math classes this semester because I decided to not do a double minor. Thinking I may just enter world of academia at advice of Undergraduate Advisor. However, I really want medical school.

Formal program, in particular looking at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.
With a 3.9 you definitely have the study skills to do reasonably well on the 8 prereqs that you have left so I wouldn’t worry too much about what your advisor said. Withdrawing from 3 classes throughout all of undergrad isn’t going to kill your app either. If you’re set on med school dont let a single pessimistic premed advisor stop you

@Ak09 is correct. It'll be much cheaper to just take the classes you still need, particularly at a community college, rather than a formal program. I'm non-trad low income like you, and half of my college courses were taken at a community college, including org chem.

Reactions: 1 users
@Ak09 is correct. It'll be much cheaper to just take the classes you still need, particularly at a community college, rather than a formal program. I'm non-trad low income like you, and half of my college courses were taken at a community college, including org chem.
Alright Ill look into this option. But unfortunately in my part of rural America there is the University I go to , a larger University with Medical school 40 mins away, Community College(voc school) 1hr away. Community College 1.25 hours away.

Id hate to pay out of pocket for the classes at my University since id be considered a graduate and no longer able to receive pell or government loans.

So Im looking into other options such as a formal post bacc where I could use Fasfa funds.

"Unrealistic" is the wrong word (and unfortunately it certainly seems that the vast majority of advisers are wrong)! Your GPA up to this point looks great, so you probably have the diligence to ace the remaining sciences you need to take... but stay on your toes. And you probably already know, but you need to rack up clinical experience, non-clinical volunteering, and other activities, ideally getting a bit of research in as well. But keep in mind that you can still count all of your hours for any experiences you've had since high school... so I'd try tallying up what you've done so far, I bet you could find a lot that you could positively spin.

I’m not sure why your advisor said “unrealistic” except your transcript shows almost no science courses. It is filled with lit and writing and various art classes. Your advisor might think you are not up to the rigors of medicine. You have a long road ahead of you. Besides the prereqs you need shadowing(about 50 hours inc. primary care), clinical experience(150+hours) and nonclinical volunteering(service to the unserved/underserved in your community- 150+ hours) . Research isn’t that important but I suppose it’s nice to have. Always remember that only about 40% of applicants are accepted each cycle. That means 60% are rejected, including applicants with stellar applications.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would also honestly assess your math skills. Your GPA looks fantastic, but seems your less than stellar grades come in the math or math oriented classes (stats). Is that a reason your premed advisor wasn't supportive?

I would also honestly assess your math skills. Your GPA looks fantastic, but seems your less than stellar grades come in the math or math oriented classes (stats). Is that a reason your premed advisor wasn't supportive?
I dont have a premed advisor. My advisor is in psychology.

I dont have a premed advisor. My advisor is in psychology.

There's your problem.

It does seem odd that you haven't taken the pre-reqs despite knowing that you want to go to med school.

That said, most pre-med advisors don't know what they're talking about, so a psychology advisor likely knows even less.

I was a music major & then (years later) did a diy post bacc by enrolling in a second bachelors degree with no intent of finishing it. (At one of PA's state schools, if that helps.) It's possible that you could do that at your current institution, and it would be a lot cheaper than a formal post bacc. The downside is that the advising isn't as good, but that's what sdn is for.

It is also a little concerning that you have no medical shadowing/volunteering. How do you know you want to be a doctor? You'll need to answer that very soon if you pursue the formal program option, so it would be good to think about now.

Right. Im kind of a degree/career changer. I finished my undergraduate degree thinking i wanted to enter academia. However, medical school has always been on back of my mind. And after doing multiple career assessment and surveys and physician coming up in top 3 nearly everytime. Im beginning to think I took wrong path in Undergraduate.

Right. Im kind of a degree/career changer. I finished my undergraduate degree thinking i wanted to enter academia. However, medical school has always been on back of my mind. And after doing multiple career assessment and surveys and physician coming up in top 3 nearly everytime. Im beginning to think I took wrong path in Undergraduate.
i wouldnt go into this solely based on career surveys. Youre about to graduate so many look to work for a year or so and while doing that 'dip your toes' into medicine by shadowing someone or volunteering somewhere for a few hours on weekends. See if youre actually interested in the lifestyle of a physician before you spend time and $ on postbac courses. This definitely isnt for everyone and it would pretty unfortunate to only figure that out after investing a lot of resources into pursuing this field

Reactions: 2 users
i wouldnt go into this solely based on career surveys. Youre about to graduate so many look to work for a year or so and while doing that 'dip your toes' into medicine by shadowing someone or volunteering somewhere for a few hours on weekends. See if youre actually interested in the lifestyle of a physician before you spend time and $ on postbac courses. This definitely isnt for everyone and it would pretty unfortunate to only figure that out after investing a lot of resources into pursuing this field
Oh I know. Ive applied as a volunteer in the two hospitals here, primary is surgery waiting room areas hopefully this will lead to some volunteer hours :) and shadowing opportunity too. Ive also applied as patient care tech at another hospital 40 mins away. They will be offering Patient Care Tech training starting in February.

Your advisor is a complete *****. You'll get fine advice here,
Thank You, Yes Ive found SDN to be very helpful. Lots of honest, brutal, and genuine replies.

Better to do the postbacc at a 4-year school. A formal postbacc is NOT required, just enroll at a local college and take the courses you need to go to medical school. Clinical employment and nonclinical volunteering are necessary as well. Your adviser was full of garbage. You need some work but medical school is very realistic especially if you do well on the MCAT.

So as we have it my undergraduate advisor just sent me a discouraging email.

Basically states following;

Medical school not realistic.

I knew x person that applied with biology degree, high gpa like yours, competitive MCAT score. They didnt get in first time, they even had experience in blood processing lab. They had to work additional year at that Lab. Got in second time.

We should talk.

End of email.

So a little about me grew up dysfunctional family. Non- Traditional Student. 37 year old Female. No kids, husband, pets to tie me down. Low Income.

Psychology major, with English minor. Have taken up to calculus II, but dont have required sciences like bio,chem,org chem, physics.

I will graduate with 3.8-3.9 GPA this Dec.

I have some extracurricular activities such ad founding a chapter of Psi Chi. Being a member of Sigma Tau Delta.

0 job shadowing/volunteer hours in medical field.

(But I have applied to Job Shadow, and volunteer in local hospital)

I have applied to a Pre Med Post Bacc program at a school in Philadelphia.

This school has a boasted over 90 percent placement rate into medical school.

Even, though my undergraduate advisor is being discouraging. I propose the question of should I do it?

I know I can handle the courses. Or at least think I can.

It sounds like your advisor is a bit overworked or in a rush. I think you stand a good chance with the appropriate advising and course planning.

I wonder if the “unrealistic” comments are referring to you’re desired time frame. Looking at the numbers and ECs I’d guess your 2-3 years out. Class work, Shadowing, Volunteering, MCAT (at least one try and months of studying) all take time. Also be fully aware of the cost to apply. Prep materials, the test, primary & secondary apps, travel, clothes cost me close to $5,000. Start saving if you can and good luck!

Last edited:
It sounds like your advisor is a bit overworked or in a rush. I think you stand a good chance with the appropriate advising and course planning.

Why did you bump a month old thread from an OP who hasn't been on SDN in a month?