Disappointed with my experience at SCCO so far:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm just throwing this out there for all the preoptometry students considering SCCO. I have been disappointed by my experience there for several reasons, listed below. I am a third year student, for perspective.

1. Our board scores are horrendous. The new statistics revolving around board scores were published, and SCCO passes part 1 at a first-time rate of 62%.

2. Our tuition is too high. 50 thousand dollars a year, and scholarships are scarce. An optometry education is sadly not worth this amount of debt. Go to a public school were tuition is reasonable, instead. Or, pursue medical school or dentistry.

3. We haven't had a dean for two years. In 2017, Dean Woo quit. Then, another dean was hired and subsequently fired shortly after. How can the school make moves that benefit students without an operating dean?

4. Our labs and practice equipment are old. We don't have enough slit lamps to practice on.

It is winter break, and I have to get this off my chest. If I was a preoptometry student considering SCCO, I wish I would've read a post like this beforehand. Because now, I have to pay over $220 thousand for a subpar education.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
IAUPR is far worse. first time rate of 40% some of the worst deans ever who publicly trash students on social media with some of the worst educators known to man. education is 40k/yr and many many students never pass the boards and amount to nothing more than techs the rest of their lives. when many have to take each of the boards 3+ Times to pass you know you have failed as an institution. And yet they actually think they are one of the BEST schools. makes me laugh. A school that doesn't invest in their students, doesn't prepare them for boards and with 25% chance of becoming a subpar OD, the school should be shut down and students money should be returned for at least the last 10yrs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IAUPR is far worse. first time rate of 40% some of the worst deans ever who publicly trash students on social media with some of the worst educators known to man. education is 40k/yr and many many students never pass the boards and amount to nothing more than techs the rest of their lives. when many have to take each of the boards 3+ Times to pass you know you have failed as an institution. And yet they actually think they are one of the BEST schools. makes me laugh. A school that doesn't invest in their students, doesn't prepare them for boards and with 25% chance of becoming a subpar OD, the school should be shut down and students money should be returned for at least the last 10yrs.

I have no idea how the AOA (or whatever governing board) allows this school to have its credentials.

I have no idea how the AOA (or whatever governing board) allows this school to have its credentials.
Its specifically the ACOE and we don't know either. Many argue that it is a plan b school and none of us should've ever been accepted and we aren't good enough ok fine whatever. But the ACOE bears some of the blame bc you have an accredited school that is not up to par on any level with any other school. We go, we work hard give our all, only to be treated like crap by professors who make no effort whatsoever and it shows bc the pass rates never improve, the only constant are the professors who consistently do a poor job of teaching, treat students poorly and consistently underperform. Sadly it comes from poor leadership and until the leadership changes then the statistics won't change either. We know what is said of us we are embarrassed that we made such a poor choice to give these people our time and money only to receive crap in return. I can assure you, not one single student that attended/graduated doesn't regret their decision to go there. the good does not outweigh the bad. sad but true

Its specifically the ACOE and we don't know either. Many argue that it is a plan b school and none of us should've ever been accepted and we aren't good enough ok fine whatever. But the ACOE bears some of the blame bc you have an accredited school that is not up to par on any level with any other school. We go, we work hard give our all, only to be treated like crap by professors who make no effort whatsoever and it shows bc the pass rates never improve, the only constant are the professors who consistently do a poor job of teaching, treat students poorly and consistently underperform. Sadly it comes from poor leadership and until the leadership changes then the statistics won't change either. We know what is said of us we are embarrassed that we made such a poor choice to give these people our time and money only to receive crap in return. I can assure you, not one single student that attended/graduated doesn't regret their decision to go there. the good does not outweigh the bad. sad but true

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get or got through that program and are doing okay now.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get or got through that program and are doing okay now.
I got through it as many have and will continue to get through but you shouldn't have to just "get through" something. Unfortunately the school pays professors extra in the summer to teach remedial courses for certain Classes where many failed. Profs have openly said that they can't pass everyone bc they need money too. its like 7-10 thousand bonus over what they already get paid. SO they have no motivation to have students pass first time around. it all starts at the top poor leadership leads to complacency which leads to poor classroom performance which leads to students not learning well enough which leads to poor board pass rates its amazing how they haven't figured out that they are failing themselves and the students by not changing their ways.

Unfortunately the school pays professors extra in the summer to teach remedial courses for certain Classes where many failed. Profs have openly said that they can't pass everyone bc they need money too. its like 7-10 thousand bonus over what they already get paid. /QUOTE]

Jesus. So failing these students benefits the professors? Wow. I hope these quacks get exposed.

I'm just throwing this out there for all the preoptometry students considering SCCO. I have been disappointed by my experience there for several reasons, listed below. I am a third year student, for perspective.

1. Our board scores are horrendous. The new statistics revolving around board scores were published, and SCCO passes part 1 at a first-time rate of 62%.

2. Our tuition is too high. 50 thousand dollars a year, and scholarships are scarce. An optometry education is sadly not worth this amount of debt. Go to a public school were tuition is reasonable, instead. Or, pursue medical school or dentistry.

3. We haven't had a dean for two years. In 2017, Dean Woo quit. Then, another dean was hired and subsequently fired shortly after. How can the school make moves that benefit students without an operating dean?

4. Our labs and practice equipment are old. We don't have enough slit lamps to practice on.

It is winter break, and I have to get this off my chest. If I was a preoptometry student considering SCCO, I wish I would've read a post like this beforehand. Because now, I have to pay over $220 thousand for a subpar education.
Hey I had a few questions about SCCO. Can I dm you?

I am so sorry to hear about your experience at Ketchum. I've mentioned this several times, and it bears repeating.
In the field of optometry, private institutions are governed by financial incentive. Period.
There are several phenomenal private schools (Southern, NECO, etc), but private universities continue to open up and continue to accept lower and lower standards for students.

Public schools are funded by tax monies, and therefore, they do not need a minimum number of students to pay salaries, facilities, etc. Additionally, they cannot produce sub-par Boards rates or weak students without answering to the state university or tax payers. Public schools almost always have the lowest class sizes, and they are reputable because they continue to conduct research funded by the NIH.

Although there are fantastic grads from all institutions, follow the Board scores. Watch the trends. Do the research.

I am wishing you the absolute best, and I hope your time at Ketchum turns around. Regardless of your time at school now, I know you're going to be a fantastic doc! Thank you for your transparency.

I am so sorry to hear about your experience at Ketchum. I've mentioned this several times, and it bears repeating.
In the field of optometry, private institutions are governed by financial incentive. Period.
There are several phenomenal private schools (Southern, NECO, etc), but private universities continue to open up and continue to accept lower and lower standards for students.

Public schools are funded by tax monies, and therefore, they do not need a minimum number of students to pay salaries, facilities, etc. Additionally, they cannot produce sub-par Boards rates or weak students without answering to the state university or tax payers. Public schools almost always have the lowest class sizes, and they are reputable because they continue to conduct research funded by the NIH.

Although there are fantastic grads from all institutions, follow the Board scores. Watch the trends. Do the research.

I am wishing you the absolute best, and I hope your time at Ketchum turns around. Regardless of your time at school now, I know you're going to be a fantastic doc! Thank you for your transparency.
Thank you so much for this insight, I've had the same kind of suspicion regarding private schools but I'm glad to hear it from a practicing OD.