Disadvantaged Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nehems97

Reaction score
I want to apply for a scholarship for PT school, but I'm not sure if I really meet the eligibility requirements.

Eligibility:
1. Awards can be made to disadvantaged students, considering the following factors:

A. Consideration will be given to students from low-income families.
B. Consideration will be given for students from school districts with high drop-out rates.
C. Consideration will be given for students from single-parent families.
D. Consideration will be given from families in which few or no members have attended college.

I don't meet A, B, or C. Although, few of my family members have attended college. I am an American born to Haitian immigrants, but we've always been well off because my father is a licensed practical nurse and my mother went from being a housekeeper to CNA. My father had to take a few college prereqs for his LPN program and my mother never even finished school when she was in Haiti. No one has attended college but two of my sisters, one dropped out years ago, and the other one is still going strong.

So, should I still apply? I don't really feel disadvantaged, and I don't see how being from a family with few members who have attended college makes me disadvantaged, especially since we're not low income.

I'm sorry this is long, but if you have any opinions or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say just apply for it. The worst they can say is no and it's not like you'll be penalized for trying.

I want to apply for a scholarship for PT school, but I'm not sure if I really meet the eligibility requirements.

Eligibility:
1. Awards can be made to disadvantaged students, considering the following factors:

A. Consideration will be given to students from low-income families.
B. Consideration will be given for students from school districts with high drop-out rates.
C. Consideration will be given for students from single-parent families.
D. Consideration will be given from families in which few or no members have attended college.

I don't meet A, B, or C. Although, few of my family members have attended college. I am an American born to Haitian immigrants, but we've always been well off because my father is a licensed practical nurse and my mother went from being a housekeeper to CNA. My father had to take a few college prereqs for his LPN program and my mother never even finished school when she was in Haiti. No one has attended college but two of my sisters, one dropped out years ago, and the other one is still going strong.

So, should I still apply? I don't really feel disadvantaged, and I don't see how being from a family with few members who have attended college makes me disadvantaged, especially since we're not low income.

I'm sorry this is long, but if you have any opinions or suggestions I would appreciate it.
It doesn't hurt to apply, but speaking as someone who comes from a VERY low-income family...it really isn't okay that you are willing to take money away from those who really do need this.
Your family has always been well-off and you want to apply for a scholarship for disadvantaged students? You don't even feel disadvantaged but you want to win a scholarship for disadvantaged students? Morally/ethically speaking, you should check yourself before applying.
I am not trying to be rude - I would just really think this one through before applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't hurt to apply, but speaking as someone who comes from a VERY low-income family...it really isn't okay that you are willing to take money away from those who really do need this.
Your family has always been well-off and you want to apply for a scholarship for disadvantaged students? You don't even feel disadvantaged but you want to win a scholarship for disadvantaged students? Morally/ethically speaking, you should check yourself before applying.
I am not trying to be rude - I would just really think this one through before applying.
I understand what you’re saying, which is why I wasn’t sure. I spoke to someone else about it, but I wasn’t too sure because being black and a child of immigrants doesn’t necessarily make me disadvantaged. You made a great point about taking money away from someone else. This doesn’t it make it right, but I assumed if I wasn’t “disadvantaged” enough that I wouldn’t get the scholarship anyway. It’s specifically for people in my PT program and being one of the few black kids, I wrongly assumed most of them would probably be better off than me. I really appreciate your advice, it put things in perspective for me. You’re absolutely right.

Last edited:
Apply. If not enough people apply for this scholarship, you may still get it. Just do not tell them you do not feel disadvantaged. Technically, you mom did not finish school and your sister dropped out. Maybe you can think of other family members who did not go to college (not sure how immediate the family members have to be… can you use aunts/uncles/cousins?).
I don't think you can get the money that would rather be given to a really disadvantaged person since their story would be much stronger than yours and people who make decisions would clearly see that. I don't think you should worry about ethical side of it since you have met some of the requirements listed.
Good luck!