Advantages/Disadvantages of Different California DPT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DC000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I’ve applied to several California schools and just received my first acceptance to CSUN. I was curious, if by chance I happen to get accepted to any of my other schools, what advantages would I have picking one over the other? I currently work as a PT Aide and my boss was telling me that if I get accepted into UCSF (I was invited to interview) that the school’s reputation could help when applying for jobs. He also assumes they have better internships but isn’t completely sure.

Can anyone give some insight to any advantages or disadvantages any of these programs have over each other or just in general? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Schools I applied to:

SDSU

Chapman

CSULB

CSUN (Accepted)

UCSF (Invited to Interview)

Members don't see this ad.

"... school’s reputation could help when applying for jobs" - not true at all, in my experience. A PT license is like a driver's license, as long as you have one you're fine.

Go to whatever program has the lowest total cost of attendance (tuition + fees + living expenses) and a decent NPTE pass rate.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello!

I’ve applied to several California schools and just received my first acceptance to CSUN. I was curious, if by chance I happen to get accepted to any of my other schools, what advantages would I have picking one over the other? I currently work as a PT Aide and my boss was telling me that if I get accepted into UCSF (I was invited to interview) that the school’s reputation could help when applying for jobs. He also assumes they have better internships but isn’t completely sure.

Can anyone give some insight to any advantages or disadvantages any of these programs have over each other or just in general? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Schools I applied to:

SDSU

Chapman

CSULB

CSUN (Accepted)

CSUN is probably the hardest to get into out of all those schools AND the cheapest. See where you get the best feeling, but I would personally go for CSUN, so many people would kill for a spot in that program. Congrats by the way!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Anyone have any good insight specifically on CSUN vs. CSULB?

Hello!

Schools I applied to:

SDSU

Chapman

CSULB

CSUN (Accepted)

Congrats on your acceptances! The PT I work for aways maintained that he doesn't care for a PT's school when he is hiring. His advice is always to go for the cheapest school. Also, we get student interns from chapman doing their clinical at our clinic and they are usually hit or miss. We've had some really good interns and some who were so bad they almost failed their clinical.

"... school’s reputation could help when applying for jobs" - not true at all, in my experience. A PT license is like a driver's license, as long as you have one you're fine.

Go to whatever program has the lowest total cost of attendance (tuition + fees + living expenses) and a decent NPTE pass rate.

I agree with this. And I actually giggle when people make decisions based on this. I'm about to graduate from USC.. but I'd never assume that the name of the school is what is going to carry me further than someone else. I agree with the driver's license statement haha. Although I love my experience at USC.. I would say you have to make the best decision for you based on cost/location/experience.. not "this name will get me somewhere... even if I'm a crap PT".. which sadly.. some people believe. You have to put in the work regardless of the school's reputation!

Hi California applicants,

I'm taking a poll on two schools. If you know about the schools and have any advice, maybe you can answer. If you do not take the cost into consideration, would you choose Loma Linda University or CSU Sacramento? Why?

Hey DC000!

Did you get a reply from SFSU? and also what school did you end up choosing? I am applying this upcoming cycle in July and would like some advice on how the interview process went.