Disabled Doctor?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes a new Batman Trilogy is coming, the first movie in 2018, with Affleck as an older Batman, this one is based on Frank Miller's Batman. Its a lot more comic book like than any other Batman movie to date. The Nolan movies were good but too realistic.

X-men Apocalypse is going to suck, I saw an image of Apocalypse, he looks nothing like the comic book, with all the special effects they should have used CGI to make him look like what did in the comics, that is why I do not like most Marvel movies.

I remember watching cartoons based on Frank Miller's Batman and totally hating them. He hypes up Batman too much and leaves no real character development for the villains and heroes. Just remember his stuff's not cannon.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I remember watching cartoons based on Frank Miller's Batman and totally hating them. He hypes up Batman too much and leaves no real character development for the villains and heroes. Just remember his stuff's not cannon.

Yeah but then again his stuff isn't so serious and apocalyptic like Nolan's version of Batman, but then again we are getting Nolan's vision of Superman here in Henry Cavill. A lot of people do not like Cavill's version that much because he is too dour and serious, and according to Warner executives Batman has become the most marketable DC character eclipsing Superman.

The Batman we are going to see in the movie adheres 100 percent to the comic book origins unlike the other previous film versions.

Yeah but then again his stuff isn't so serious and apocalyptic like Nolan's version of Batman, but then again we are getting Nolan's vision of Superman here in Henry Cavill. A lot of people do not like Cavill's version that much because he is too dour and serious, and according to Warner executives Batman has become the most marketable DC character eclipsing Superman.

The Batman we are going to see in the movie adheres 100 percent to the comic book origins unlike the other previous film versions.

I think Henry Cavill is the best superman yet. And Man of Steel was way better than any other superman movie before it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Millers Batman's was very dark, serious, and apocalyptic. It was like watching a war hero coming to terms with his past and what he should do with the rest of his life. In the second cartoon, they turned Superman into a tool of the government and was on the verge of ushering the next world war. If that doesn't spell apocalyptic, I don't know what does.

Totally ridiculous. They did this for PR. Where did the resources come from for all those aides that did everything for her?

School will accommodate you.

Residency will eat you alive.

If you have a physical disability that causes you pain or will make seeing patients and writing notes take longer than average, find another profession.

Or make sure you are set up for a career without a residency after that MD.

Totally ridiculous. They did this for PR. Where did the resources come from for all those aides that did everything for her?

If you have a physical disability that causes you pain or will make seeing patients and writing notes take longer than average, find another profession.

Schools are more sympathetic towards physical issues, but something like ADHD they will interpret a number of ways, and you probably won't get much sympathy. Many students often claim they have ADHD as a last ditch attempt to stay in school when they are failing out, in a few instances, the school will give them another chance.

Schools are not very nice when it comes to students who are discovered or perceived to have Psychiatric problems. I suggest you do a search of such matters, its pretty serious and disconcerting, you would think a university or college would be supporting of such students, for the most part they are not. Things like this are personal matters, best not to air your dirty laundry to people you who are not family anyway.

I did hear about a very prestigious Ivy League medical school who told a student with Dwarfism he could not be a doctor because he was "too short". Apparently this was very long time ago in a less politically correct time in America. Now we live in time where any small comment can lead to a massive lawsuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

What a churlish response. Also, you didn't read the article. She paid for the aids herself. Obviously hers is an outlier experience, but it is also instructive in how determination and being solution oriented can carry one farther than anyone could predict.

What a churlish response. Also, you didn't read the article. She paid for the aids herself. Obviously hers is an outlier experience, but it is also instructive in how determination and being solution oriented can carry one farther than anyone could predict.

I did read the article but didn't catch who paid for all this.

I hate things like this because it's the classic underdog story America likes so much, bootstrapping, just work hard enough, positive attitude, BS BS BS, but most of my patients with this person's level of disability live in situations where they just hope to get turned enough not to get a bedsore and die from that.

I see so many people with disabilities and friends and family don't appreciate how crappy the social supports are, people read articles like this and look at disabled people and wonder why they don't do more to be like these cherry-picked success stories. Or it just makes disabled people themselves feel bad because their "determination and solution-orientedness" isn't carrying them further without money.

Yeah, you can get a lot more done as a quadraplegic if you have enough money, aides, and gadgets. That's reality.

Yeah, you can get a lot more done as a quadraplegic if you have enough money, aides, and gadgets. That's reality.

Nowadays, with a little help, you don't need legs to "climb" El Capitan or Mount Everest anymore. Mark Wellman and Mark Inglis did it. BTW Inglis "walked" past a dying climber on his way to the summit.

Reactions: 1 user
You cannot hide dwarfism and physical disabilities, things like mental disabilities are harder to detect assuming the person is getting treatment and the treatment is working, people can suspect a person has something though after observing them for an extended period of time.

Would just like to point out that not all physical disabilities are noticeable at first glance. My impairment is not noticeable at all and I didn't bother disclosing it to my fiancé until a year into our relationship and he had no clue.

Would just like to point out that not all physical disabilities are noticeable at first glance. My impairment is not noticeable at all and I didn't bother disclosing it to my fiancé until a year into our relationship and he had no clue.

I think that's great and all.... except for the part where you dated someone for a year and never mentioned a disability to them.

I'm not saying personal health issues even ones that don't affect your functioning are first date material, but a year?

I think that's great and all.... except for the part where you dated someone for a year and never mentioned a disability to them.

I'm not saying personal health issues even ones that don't affect your functioning are first date material, but a year?

I honestly forgot to tell him because I don't think about it often. I don't consider it to be a disability because my parents raised me like I didn't have one (even though it is classified as one). I thought I had spoken to him about it before and when I brought it up, surprisingly enough, he didn't know anything about it. Whoops. He didn't care either.

And really? Who the hell are you to try to judge my relationship?

A friend of mine didn't know her husband was color blind when she was dating him - until he applied for a job that asked the question, which reminded him to tell her.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly forgot to tell him because I don't think about it often. I don't consider it to be a disability because my parents raised me like I didn't have one (even though it is classified as one). I thought I had spoken to him about it before and when I brought it up, surprisingly enough, he didn't know anything about it. Whoops. He didn't care either.

And really? Who the hell are you to try to judge my relationship?

hey that's a legit story

I thought I would say something about it because:

"My impairment is not noticeable at all and I didn't bother disclosing it to my fiancé until a year into our relationship and he had no clue."

taken out of context would be terrible if used as advice on handling disclosure of disabilities, noticeable or not, in a relationship, in my opinion, and since SDN is all about people looking for health professions related advice....

You made a very good point of pointing out that not all disabilities are readily apparent. Thank you for that.

The insinuation that I should feel obligated to disclose something that I do not perceive to be a disability is do extremely ableist. I'm done with this conversation.