DO doctor shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctry23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Sorry because this must be such a common question, but I've recently started considering DO schools and I've already shadowed several MDs for a total of 100 hours, but never any DOs and I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any idea about what to do in Charlotte, NC?
I found the DO physicians near me on doctorsthatdo.org but calling hasn't worked so far, is there a place where the DO doctors are already in a shadowing agreement/teaching position so that I could email them directly?

Members don't see this ad.

I always recommend walking into a few clinics and speaking with the front desk personnel in-person to inquire about shadowing if the calling is not working out. I’m not sure about any agreements they would have for shadowing in Charlotte.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Sorry because this must be such a common question, but I've recently started considering DO schools and I've already shadowed several MDs for a total of 100 hours, but never any DOs and I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any idea about what to do in Charlotte, NC?
I found the DO physicians near me on doctorsthatdo.org but calling hasn't worked so far, is there a place where the DO doctors are already in a shadowing agreement/teaching position so that I could email them directly?

Some options:
  1. Checking out the AOA's website. Scour the website and see if there is a section for doctors who are interested in having premeds shadow them
  2. Find local osteopathic physician associations (at the state or local level) and contact them
  3. Network with friends and family; maybe your aunt Lucy's doc has been a DO all these years. Ask them.
  4. Cold call offices (I found this to be the least effective method)
  5. Go to the office in person and ask. This is more of a last resort move, if all of the aforementioned fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drive over to CUSOM and chat up the DO faculty.

Reactions: 2 users

Contact your local hospital systems and ask if they offer shadowing. If they do, reach out to office managers in their system that manage offices that have DOs as providers.

Drive over to CUSOM and chat up the DO faculty.
This is probably the best idea here OP. CUSOM has lots of residency programs in NC already. Surely, they should be able to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably the best idea here OP. CUSOM has lots of residency programs in NC already. Surely, they should be able to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile
Why haven't I thought of this???
My Nephrologist said he would set me up with a Cardiologist this summer though, so I will see if that unfolds before I try this.

I personally just had my recent shadowing experience by getting a "Check Up' from my Family Doctor then mentioning it in the appointment and he was down. Sometimes you risk getting filtered out by office staff.

Network, cold call, and repeat. Look for nearby schools and hospitals and ask them. Go to your PCP / old pediatrician and ask either them or see if they know anyone who would be willing. Rinse and repeat for your family members or loved ones. Leave no stone unturned.

When I was contemplating MD vs. DO I ended up shadowing my cousin's (an Internal Medicine MD) colleague at Buffalo General just by asking. He was more than willing to let me follow him around.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors